runners....

Options
I would like to start to run, is there a special way to don't hurt myself knowing that I'm 266 pounds ans I am afraid to hurt my knees?

is there a web site that tells me what to do as warmup or circuit?

Thanks!

Do you think my kids will be able to follow?

Replies

• Buettner22
    Buettner22 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started Couch to 5k. Its a great beginners workout. Im on week 2 days 3 and i feel so much better then i did the first day so if you do it don't get bummed if the first week is really hard cause you'll be able to look back on it later and realize it wasn't quite as bad as you thought!!! Good luck!
  • camille108
    camille108 Posts: 10
    Options
    The Couch to 5K is a really good program that helps people transition who have never run before to running consistently. The important part is to start our gradually as doing too much to soon will derail you. I begin jogging REALLY slowly and built up my endurance and then speed as time went along. A good walk then jog for a bit then walk again routine is best which is what the Couch to 5K progam does. Also, you may want to check out the runners world website as well. Oh, usually walking for 5 or 10 mins is a good warm up before jogging.
  • mickeyluvchocolat
    Options
    cool thanks this program looks amazing :)
  • creutzb
    creutzb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You GO Girl! Running is awesome. My advice- get a good sports bra and good running shoes. You might not know what shoe type you need until you start running but at least wear shoes that fit good and are made for running.
    Watch for traffic and carry water when it's hot out.
    Ice your knees afterwards if they hurt or feel sore- to reduce swelling.
  • mickeyluvchocolat
    Options
    You GO Girl! Running is awesome. My advice- get a good sports bra and good running shoes. You might not know what shoe type you need until you start running but at least wear shoes that fit good and are made for running.
    Watch for traffic and carry water when it's hot out.
    Ice your knees afterwards if they hurt or feel sore- to reduce swelling.

• doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I know you can do it if you put your mind to it!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Knee pain has more to do with form and less to do with weight. Reading up on Chi Running should help.
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    The Couch to 5K is a really good program that helps people transition who have never run before to running consistently. The important part is to start our gradually as doing too much to soon will derail you. I begin jogging REALLY slowly and built up my endurance and then speed as time went along. A good walk then jog for a bit then walk again routine is best which is what the Couch to 5K progam does. Also, you may want to check out the runners world website as well. Oh, usually walking for 5 or 10 mins is a good warm up before jogging.

Great advice! Remember to keep a nice, slow pace when you're starting out and getting used to it. You can build up and get faster later on, first get your body used to running. Find a breathing pattern that maintains for the long distance. I usually breathe in for two steps (through your nose), and then out for two steps (through your mouth), in a rhythm.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Another thing to consider is building some of your stamina on lower-impact machines, like an elliptical. The muscles built don't translate perfectly, but it's a good low-impact way to burn good calories while also learning to regulate your heart rate and allowing you to safely build stamina/endurance.

I'm not saying to use the elliptical exclusively, but mix it in to your routines.

The nice part about it is you can work on breathing patterns and interval training with no thudding impacts, and very few worries about falling off the machine if you overwork yourself. It's a nice safe way to start out.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    As others have said, getting the right shoes is really important to avoid injury. If you have a running store in your area, go there and ask for their help in determining what kind of runner you are. Once you get your shoes, only wear them for running and nothing else. This is very important. Other activities can change how they wear and lessen the support you will get.

I have heard good things about the C25K program as well . It is always a good idea to start out slowly. You will avoid injury and be stronger in the long run.

Also, be aware that the weather (especially humidity) can have a huge impact on your performance, so try to plan your running accordingly.

Good luck!
  • disneyjenn
    disneyjenn Posts: 4
    Options
    I would not have ran my first half marathon if I hadn't signed up before I started training for it! If your training program lasts 8 weeks, then go ahead and sign up for a race that is about 8 weeks from now. This will MAKE you train, knowing that you've already registered and paid for an event. Just remember, running in a race is much easier than running alone. Don't give up, you can do it!
  • k80mac
    k80mac Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i agree Couch to 5k, get good shoes from the get-go and let your self go as slow as you need to to start going.

I started running around 209lbs and for the preceding 34 years of my life wanted nothing to do with running. I barely could do a mile in 15-16 minutes which was my best effort at the time.

One day I switched my thinking and kept working at it.....and a year and half later I'm addicted. Granted I have a long way to go still but I average 12:00-12:30 min/miles, over the course of 5 miles.
  • debstanley4
    debstanley4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm 270 and am on week 8 of cto5k I wear two sprorts bras as one doesn't quite do it for me. Completed my first 5k and ran most of it. The right shoes help too.:smile:
  • mickeyluvchocolat
    Options
    thank you so much everyone!!!
    I will go see for shoes maybe next week :)

I found a site ( quebec) that has a program for the kids too and it's quite the same as C5K... The kids are excited that we will run and get in shape together!

What a nice family project!!!

I don't want to start running to lose weight or work my cardio.... I do want to start because I'm attracted to it :) a pleasure that will also make me cardio work and burn calories... but it's not my main goal!

Thanks again and I'll keep you post about it :) (hope it's the way to say it lol ) or maybe it's posted....