GNC, am I getting ripped off??

Options
I went in to purchase protein powder this weekend because with my gold card it was buy 1 get one 50% off. The sales clerk tried to sell me everything under the sun. And then he was trying to give me all these free samples. I walked out of there with just the 2 protein powders I wanted but was still much lighter in the wallet.

Replies

• BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, GNC and others like it will try to sell you everything under the sun. If you have a Trader Joe's around you, pick up protein powder there. I got a 2lb tub for $14.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    GNC is wicked expensive and their stuff really isn't any better than other places. My husband went there once to get protein powder and the same thing happened to him. They tried to sell him every supplement that they had and pushed it with him. Neither one of us has gone back since and I totally thing the BOGO "deal" is a complete rip off.
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    The salespeople at GNC are eejits. Ask them a simple nutirtion question and I bet they won't have an answer that makes sense. One chick told me not to buy creatine "because it pulls the muscle tighter to the bone." Seriously. Check out bodybuilding.com - they usually have pretty good deals on supplements. Or surf online. I would never buy anything from GNC.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    The salespeople at GNC are eejits. Ask them a simple nutirtion question and I bet they won't have an answer that makes sense. One chick told me not to buy creatine "because it pulls the muscle tighter to the bone." Seriously. Check out bodybuilding.com - they usually have pretty good deals on supplements. Or surf online. I would never buy anything from GNC.

I had one lady at GNC tell me that she can't take Muscle Milk because it burns fat too fast.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOOL
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I must have gotten the same deal as you...I went in for the gold card purchase too and left with 2 bags... but I guess in the long run I am saving around $24, and since I only use 1 scoop at a time, 2 bags will last me at least 2 months..maybe longer. The guy who helped me didn't try to sell me anything else, just told me how much 2 bags would be with my gold card. I did get a bunch of free samples though, but I never use them so they don't bother me. I don't know if GNC is a rip off... but I do know that I after trying several brands, I do like the protein powder I get at GNC and it is one I actually like the taste of, which is most important to me :smile:
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Any store you go into would likely have sales people trying to get you to buy stuff or buy more of said stuff. That's their job. Just say no. I have bought some stuff at GNC. I did take advantage of a couple of their Buy 1, Get 1 half off deal. It was a good deal, in my opinion. I could probably find some of this stuff cheaper, maybe Amazon, Ebay or elsewhere online but it was my first time buying the stuff there.

They do keep pushing a rewards gold card though, but I don't shop there enough for it to be worth it. I tell them NO.
  • bciochetti
    bciochetti Posts: 35
    Options

Just for a price comparison between bodybuilding.com and GNC: I use ON 100% Whey. I live in Canada and it is $5 cheaper for me to pay for the shipping and get it from bodybuilding.com than drive down to a GNC.