Best Strength Training Program?

Options
kari574
kari574 Posts: 99 Member
Sorry if this has been asked a zillion times but I'm tired and don't want to search all night for my answers! I've read a bit on the boards about New Rules of Lifting for Women and Stronglifts. Which is best in your opinion? And are there other options too?

I'm starting to rethink my fitness plan. I'm currently doing a lot of cardio, mostly cycling classes, maybe five times a week. Two times a week I also do "strength" training in the form of "lean body" classes and such at the gym. But my goal is to lose body fat, not weight, and from what I've been reading this evening, it might be best to increase strength training, decrease cardio, and increase calories. I really like classes because it helps me to have someone to follow and stay motivated. But maybe I need to get away from that...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Here are my stats:

5'-3"
115 pounds
Calories: 1200/day
I have a desk job so get little exercise other than the gym

All ideas are welcome! And if you don't like other's suggestions, no berating! I've seen too much of that on here. :(

Replies

• kari574
    kari574 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I know someone must have some ideas...
  • curds
    curds Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Have you tried workout dvds? I do plyometrics with Tony Horton and I think his sculpt program is pretty good.
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    Take a look at the "Stronglifts 5x5 for woman" group. That's an excellent strength training program.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    The StrongLifts track is my personal favorite.

I see a lot of people raving about New Rules of Lifting for Women. I haven't read the book myself but from what I hear it's quite good.

The other book that's quite good is Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. He's incredibly knowledgeable.

There are many others, but if I were in your shoes I would pick from one of those three.

Good luck!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    starting strength - experienced, vetted powerlifting trainer Mark Rippetoe's program. You should read this even if you do other things.
    stronglifts - guy on the internets (free) program
    New Rules - a book. haven't read it.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I found a plan on Bodybuilding.com. It has info about the 5x5 and other strength training and nutrition programs.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I haven't done either but I am aware of both. NROLFW contains a lot more than just a strength training workout (diet plan and in later stages includes HIIT), thats why I would recommend it. Stronglifts 5x5 only has 2 days of 3 exercises. Which, to me, would get boring. NROLFW has about 2 days of 5 exercises that are changed every month or so to last you 6 months.

For me, I would choose NROLFW simply because I get bored easily. and if you are a beginner it definitely has a lot of good information on correct form and such. I will probably start it this summer once I get down in weight a little more.

edited for my awful grammar. sheeesh.
  • slsmoot123
    slsmoot123 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. I seem to be losing inches so very slowly but with as much cardio as I'm putting in, I'm not seeing the body fat drop off. Therefore I have purchased P90X so that I can incorporate the weight training. Its not here yet I guess I'm going to have to report back on my results.
  • vjohn82
    vjohn82 Posts: 10
    Options
    If you have access to barbells and dumbells then Stronglifts 5 x 5 is for you.

If you can get hold of some Olympic bumper plates then Starting Strength is better as it has some more athletic style lifts (such as a power clean).

I'll be writing an article on this later on giving the pros and cons of some popular workouts but, generally speaking, so long as you do these lifts you'll burn fat and build muscle very quickly:

Squats, Deadlifts, Overheard Press, Bench Press

Do 5 sets of 5 of those exercises. The best way to do it, I have found, is doing the squats every session and then pick another two lifts and alternate them each session. 3 sessions per week is more than enough. Start with an empty bar for all of them and add 2.5kg each session.

Then you have these "assistance lifts" :

Dips, Pull ups/Chin Ups, Crunches

Do 3 sets of 10 for each building up to around 15 for the first two and 20 for the second.

After 3/6 months of that, you'll be in a position where you have learned the major lifts to a good standard and strong enough to decide what you want to move onto. Lots of intermediate programmes are out there.

Also, go and look at the women on the California Strength youtube videos for inspiration :smile:
  • adriany9
    adriany9 Posts: 32
    Options
    +1 on Starting strength 5x5 I started 6 months ago with the empty bar and Im now squatting 115kg and deadlifting 160kg. Im also on a forum called Ironstrong.org and theres a few ladies on it who lift weights...check it out you wont regret it.
  • 4KatieLynn4
    4KatieLynn4 Posts: 27
    Options
    I started the book about 2 months ago, i do it 3 times a week along with cardio!!(which the book doesnt really reccomened in the begging but i cant give it up, I always do the stair master) I love it! I like having a plan to go in the gym and do, so im not just trying to figure out how to use machines lol. I gained about 5 pounds when i started but lost those pounds and 3 more, but have dropped by bf% drastically! When i got tested the first time i was about an 18% for a normal body type this time i was 11.8, but i say i have an athletic body type so im go off a 14.1!
  • vjohn82
    vjohn82 Posts: 10
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 only has 2 days of 3 exercises. Which, to me, would get boring. NROLFW has about 2 days of 5 exercises that are changed every month of so to last you 6 months.

Stronglifts is a 3 day per week routine with 5 exercises with the potential to add as many as you like to assist with your workouts.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I bought some books online from Chapters.ca from Muscle and Fitness magazine. They have a couple of books for women. I have done their programs and LOVE them... and love the results equally.

for example I have this one and LOVE it. http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/101-Body-sculpting-Workouts--Nutrition-Plans-For-Women/9781600785146-item.html?ref=item_page:richrel

You could probably get them of indigo if you don't live in Canada.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I liked the Body Pump class at the local Lifestyle Fitness. It's lifting and cardio together and you can lift as heavy or as light as you want. Any addition of strength training with your cardio routine is going to make a difference in how you look but it may not necessarily make a difference on the scale. Make sure you take your starting measurements and check them every week or two. I didn't do that the first two weeks and was very frustrated because the scale was frozen even though I could see a difference in how I looked in the mirror.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    As js370 said go here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

There is a nice breakdown of the PDF and ladies who've done both new rules and stronglifts.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 only has 2 days of 3 exercises. Which, to me, would get boring. NROLFW has about 2 days of 5 exercises that are changed every month of so to last you 6 months.

Stronglifts is a 3 day per week routine with 5 exercises with the potential to add as many as you like to assist with your workouts.

you're right. I was more saying that there are 2 workout routines that you rotate. both programs have the same set up. ABA, BAB, etc.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    There probably isn't a single best strength training program but if I had to narrow it down to a best I would say the Westside Conjugate method is the "best" strength training system. Now since you're looking for more beginner / intermediate type lifting then Starting Strength (Mark Rippletoe), StrongLifts 5x5, or 5/3/1 (Jim Wendler).
  • maddyg1989
    maddyg1989 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'm a gym newbie (joined in Mar. 2012 after at least 10 years away from it), and I'm halfway through NROL4W Stage 1 and I really like it so far. I haven't looked into the other plans, but I've heard good things about them too. When I'm done with NROL4W, I'll probably read Rippetoe's books too, and see where to go from there.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Jamie Eason has a plan on Bodybuilding.com the 12 week Live Fit program. I heard about it thru a co-worker late last year. She has done two rounds and looks AMAZING!! I was much heavier and didn't have a lot of strenght when I found out about it, so I put it on the backburner, but I started it yesterday. Hoping to have great results.

Check it out.. She also gives you a 12 week meal plan. Its not a list of suggested meals, but a list of foods you should be consumiing during each meal.