Strength Training

Options
Does anyone know why when you record strength training it doesn't track calories burned? Is it something with my settings, or just not a feature available?

If so, does anyone have a formula for gadging how many calories you burn with strength training?

Thanks!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If you search strength training under cardio you will find an entry that gives you a calorie estimate. It is very low but I am ok with that. It is hard to estimate calories for Strength training because there can be so many variables that will affect if.
  • dleigh27
    dleigh27 Posts: 5
    Options
    Okay that makes sense. I guess the Strength Training option is just for keeping track.

Thanks!
  • cazriley41
    cazriley41 Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi sorry but im not sure how i post my question out on here, so im doing it this way, but can some one tell if they feel hungry all the time, as i am, i snack on good things and not sugar or rubbish food, but finding it hard not to, is anyone else like this or am i doing something wrong, please help!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Hi sorry but im not sure how i post my question out on here, so im doing it this way, but can some one tell if they feel hungry all the time, as i am, i snack on good things and not sugar or rubbish food, but finding it hard not to, is anyone else like this or am i doing something wrong, please help!!

Your diary isn't open so I can't see but I am willing to bet you have your weight loss goal set for 2 lbs a week. I see you have a goal of 20 lbs, your goal should be closer to 1lb a week with that little (I know it's a lot to you but compared to 50 lbs or more it is a smaller goal). We all want to get there as quick as possible but if you are starving, you likely won't stick with it. And you could be eating too little which can cause other problems.

It can also be your food choices. It's good you aren't eating rubbish but that isn't all that matters. Protein fills you. Fiber fills you. Fat keeps you satiated. I try to include protein and/or fat in every meal and snack.
  • cazriley41
    Options
    Ok how do i open my diary so you can see?
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Ok how do i open my diary so you can see?

Top tabs. Go to MyHome > Settings > Diary settings.
  • cazriley41
    Options
    Ok thanks i think i have made it public now,
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Have you considered a heart rate monitor to wear when strength training?
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    There's an item in the FAQ about this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/91-doesn-t-strength-training-burn-calories-why-don-t-you-show-any-calories-burned-for-strength-training

That said, there are some formulas you can use to estimate it (though you'll need to add an entry under "cardio" and call it weight lifting or whatever, as previous posters mentioned). I use these guidelines from livestrong:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/338469-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting/

I use the 0.039 number ("Strength training with free weights").
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Have you considered a heart rate monitor to wear when strength training?

M understanding is that a heart rate monitor is not accurate for strength training.
  • dleigh27
    dleigh27 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you everybody for all the advice! I just started with this diet and I really appreciate the support