Endomondo

Options
sansey
sansey Posts: 113 Member
Does anyone ever use Endomondo? It is a free app for your phone that track your workouts. It uses the GPS on the phone to determine your route, miles, calories, etc. I like it and it works well. However when mountain biking it doesn't work so well. It says I have excellent signal but doesn't map my route? So do you think it is my old phone that is the issue? Or maybe just the tree cover where I ride? Just curious if anyone else has experienced this?

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I Geocache, and tree cover can adversely affect GPS signal, sometimes causing it to go away completely. So can tall buildings around you (Geocachers call it the "urban canyon" effect). My old Blackberry was a lot more susceptible to signal loss than my newer phone, but tree canopy can still cause GPS signal loss.

Are you putting the phone in some form of protective case, and what is that case made out of?

How is the phone attached to your bike? Are you blocking part of its clear view of the sky?
  • sansey
    sansey Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I figured that the tree cover was probably the case. Just thought maybe there was something else that might work. Since I just started using this to see how it works I have have not attached my phone to my bike. I just kept it in my pocket. It is a old phone and due for a upgrade soon. The park where I ride has no clear view of the sky because of the tree canopy.
  • lmnosser
    lmnosser Posts: 43
    Options
    i use Endomondo. i love it. Just confirm that your GPS settings are turned on. if they are, there isn't really much else you can do. all the apps that track distance are using GPS.

maybe getting a case that lets you wear it on your arm, rather than in your pocket, will help.
  • dellrio
    dellrio Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I use it - love that app! I used it on the Mountain Bike trails this Sunday and it tracked perfectly - I have a great map of my route.
  • hauntedwebby
    Options
    Today was my first day using endomondo. It seems fine, tracks everything, but when I look at my route it is all over the place. I notice that it is less accurate if I put it in my pocket compared to holding it out in the open.

Has anyone started a MFP challenge?