Fluke or could this be the reason?

Options
I have my loss set at 2 lbs/week. The past few weeks I have been running or doing my elliptical 7 days a week and eating back most of my calories. I had only been losing about 1 lb. per week. This last week I took a day completely off to rest but at the same and ended up losing 2.2 lbs. Is this a fluke or should I start taking a day off every week?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You really should have a rest day every week anyway but you aren't the first person I've heard say something similar. The only way to find out is to do it again and see what happens, I think.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    When you're working out, especially strenuously, your muscles will retain water to repair themselves. Taking a day off frequently releases that water. So yes, you lost weight and didn't realize it until the water weight was released. I do two days on, one day off. Personally, I think you need at least one day a week rest, though I prefer two.
  • bcereuskk
    bcereuskk Posts: 33
    Options
    I was afraid before one rest day would turn into 10 but I've been doing this for over a month so I think this is turning into a lifestyle change. I feel like I hold the power now and not the food.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I had to take time off for an injury and was just SURE that would derail me. But it didn't! You can do it too!
  • bunnygirl1978
    bunnygirl1978 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have a more relaxed week, eat the same, exercise less days (3) and I tend to lose more.
    I was told its because I gave my body replace and recover time so that when I worked out hard to it fully charged to do so and worked properly. At least once a month I do this for a week.
  • grex1949
    grex1949 Posts: 130
    Options
    How much weight to do you have to lose? If it's not much, a 2 pound per week rate may be a little steep. I suggest dialing that back to maybe 1 pound a week if you are getting close to your goal weight.
  • bcereuskk
    bcereuskk Posts: 33
    Options
    I have 31 lbs to lose. Is 2 lbs too much?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have 31 lbs to lose. Is 2 lbs too much?
    It was a one week thing. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your weight loss will slow down naturally as you get closer to your goal weight, in any event.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have a more relaxed week, eat the same, exercise less days (3) and I tend to lose more.
    I was told its because I gave my body replace and recover time so that when I worked out hard to it fully charged to do so and worked properly. At least once a month I do this for a week.

This. I try to time it with the week I don't feel like doing anything anyway. During my most recent recovery week, I dropped 2 lbs, and I have my calories set at like 0.4 lbs per week loss or something equally absurd, because I'm only 8 lbs from my initial goal.