Stationary bike

Options
Does anyone else feel like the stationary bike is a waste? I could be on there for a half hour and not even break a sweat. According to MFP it burns a lot of calories, but I don't think it's right at all. I plan on getting a HRM soon so I can be more accurate. I have a hard time even getting my HR up on the bike. I rarely do it. Maybe once every two weeks. I did 20 minutes on it a few days ago and that was just to waste some time while my friend was tanning. I was already done with my work out but didn't wanna just sit around. MFP said 20 minutes burned 174 calories. I really doubt that. I wasn't even sweating and my heart rate would only go to 121 and that was with the resistance up. I just feel like I'm doing nothing at all on it but wasting time.

Replies

• Jenner22
    Jenner22 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love the bike.. especially with my back.. my bucket seat helps me out a lot. I have different settings I can use on my bike. When I start it I already want to stop and I keep at it for 20-30 minutes (bad knees). When I started my weight loss journey in 2008.. I lost 25 lbs alone in just 4 months only exercising on the bike. The only problem I have now is that it's stationary. I get bored. But for crappy days it works just fine!
  • dmf80
    dmf80 Posts: 60
    Options
    The stationary bike is like any other piece of equipment. You get out of it want you put into it.
  • Shamrock_me
    Shamrock_me Posts: 161
    Options
    Stationary bike is merely a warm up for me in the morning. I like to bike to warm my legs & stretch out my arms & work the kinks out of my shoulders. It's a good warm up machine but I'm competely in love/hate relationship with an eliptical. Somedays I kick its butt, other days it kicks mine but I never walk away feeling like I didn't get enough out of it. A good one is a couple grand so until I come into some serious money its the gym for me everyday.
  • cfloyd72
    cfloyd72 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a pro-form xp that I purchased from Sears. It has an iFit system on a memory card set up. It also has iFit programs and Calorie workout programs on the bike itself. I did 30 minutes this morning going between 13 and 14 mph at a resistance from 1 to 5 and back. My max heart rate is 154. I hit it and then some. Time, speed, and resistance. It does work.
  • Kasm296
    Kasm296 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried a spin class ...it is pretty intense. I agree with the other poster who said you get out of it what you put into it!! It can be an amazing workout.
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    try the hill programs. don't just sit and cycle, adjust the tension and cycle hard against it, that will burn the calories.
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    I used it this morning for an hour, with the "level" at 11. Burned over 700 calories, heart rate in the 140s and there were puddles of sweat on the floor. I was pushing to keep my speed in a certian area. As someone said you get out what you put into it.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I get a good sweat on level 3 with the hills and I rotate my level throughout my workout I usually burn about 300 calories in 30 minutes.
  • feb06momma
    feb06momma Posts: 169
    Options
    I'm at a level 6/7 now and go for about 40 minutes at a time. I choose the "random" mode so its definitely not easy!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Considering I have a bad knee and a gut that gets knocked in to, the stationary bike isn't exactly effortless. Granted my heart rate never goes past 143 but I do sweat and find it's an effort to keep myself going past the 15 minute mark if I'm looking to do that. But again, I'm very overweight and I have a bad joint that's necessary in using one. Though all things considered it's easier on my knee than an elliptical.
  • bluegrasschica
    Options
    When I ride the stationary bike l sweat after about 30 minutes on it. I like riding the bike.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    YOU make the workout what you want. Like other said try a spin class you'll sweat aplenty :)
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    It's a great workout for me, I burn alot of calories on it and sweat up a storm, I use a high resistance and go for 45 min burning around 600-700 calories, I use a HRM..........if you're just sitting on it and peddling and not pushing yourself, yeah, it's gonna feel like a waste, it's supposed to be hard, not just riding it and not even breathing hard......get the resistance up and go faster.......
  • cior
    cior Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The stationary bike is like any other piece of equipment. You get out of it want you put into it.

Agreed. I love it when I do it! I also love doing it and catching up on tv programs that I've missed. Killing two birds with one stone!
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend taking a spin class a few times and seeing how that works for you, even if it's just to get an idea of exercises to do. I do one 3 times a week and burn around 800 calories during my lunch hour.
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    It's what got me to lose over 60lbs and motivate me into road cycling.
  • drezha
    drezha Posts: 18
    Options
    You might want to get some of the Sufferfest videos (though they aren't to everyones tastes) - http://www.thesufferfest.com/

Similar I guess to intervals and programs that others are suggesting. I don't have a stationary bike - I just get out and ride a "proper" bike.

Regardless, 20 minutes is better than nothing! Cycling mags I read suggest best fat burning rides are 4 hours+ long but not everyone has the time - they also suggest HIIT sessions - about 15 minute warm up, sprint for 30 seconds, rest 5 minutes and repeat 4-6 times. That will get your heart rate up!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Join a spinning class. No way could you say that your time is wasted. I burn more calories spinning than anything else. We don't just sit there peddling. We up the resistance, stand, hover. It is quite a workout.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Try Spinervals DVD's by Coach Troy - Your butt will be sweating buckets! Even in the AC! I know...
  • jesscod
    jesscod Posts: 98
    Options
    I personally LOVE working out on a stationary bike - of course it doesn't beat actual bike riding, but it is a pretty great workout when you go in with a game plan...but as everyone else has said - if you don't have a game plan you're likely not going to push yourself as hard or see results as fast - you gotta be consistently pushing yourself!

I enjoy HIIT on the bike - it makes the time go by fast when I am constantly pacing myself while alternating through cycles of high intensity and low intensity...and its not as hard on the knees.