Do you ever wonder....

Options
Do you ever wonder if you're encouraging someone to lose weight- when in reality you shouldn't be encouraging them? Maybe it's just me and my anxiety/paranoia/ocd/trust issues/whatever but tonight I was looking at a profile of someone who recently joined the site. Their picture would lead me to believe they have NO weight issue at all (unless they were 2 foot tall maybe)... and it just made me think- are there people who don't have a photo posted (or even a photo that was stolen from like 'google images') who are really at their ideal weight- but, I don't know- possibly have an eating disorder? (well i would like to think over-eating is the 3rrd type of eating disorder besides Anorexia and Bulemia). I dont know- just a thought I guess.

Replies

• mablesyrup
    mablesyrup Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Do you ever wonder if you're encouraging someone to lose weight- when in reality you shouldn't be encouraging them? Maybe it's just me and my anxiety/paranoia/ocd/trust issues/whatever but tonight I was looking at a profile of someone who recently joined the site. Their picture would lead me to believe they have NO weight issue at all (unless they were 2 foot tall maybe)... and it just made me think- are there people who don't have a photo posted (or even a photo that was stolen from like 'google images') who are really at their ideal weight- but, I don't know- possibly have an eating disorder? (well i would like to think over-eating is the 3rrd type of eating disorder besides Anorexia and Bulemia). I dont know- just a thought I guess.
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options

I don't think it is for us to judge. We have no way of knowing what is going on with someone based solely on their profile. It could be an old picture that they are using as motivation or they may just want to lose their last 5/10/20 pounds. If someone does have an eating disorder, I think this is a supportive site for everyone, being underweight can be just as harmful as being overweight.

Since I have joined he site my focus has been more on healthy living and less on weight loss.I am more concerned with being fit, healthy and fueling my body with the proper food it needs to facillitate those goals.
  • jakspak
    jakspak Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    i get what you are saying as it is pretty enonimus on here i think all we can do is go with what they are saying and be suportive even if they are not being true someone may benefit from the reply's.
    id say this should also be aplace for people to come if they do need to put on weight and not feel like they are being judged cause they are tiny just like us bigger people dont want to be judged for being our size as we dont know what has gotten these people to the point they are at could be medical or self inflicted either way the results are the same we now want to get healthy.

so i have a quiestion for out there who here is having to put on weight??????
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    I think this site is for both kind of disorders because it forces us to live a healthy life.

Some people (like me) need to loose only a few pounds because one year ago I was slimmer and I don't believe I changed just because I'm getting older :wink: And besides I want to stay fit to be healthy mother in the future and not to worry about high blood pressure or sugar level when I get to my mom's age...
    So I don't really think I need to loose any pounds but I know I can do a little better and be a little slimmer and more toned. I think after pregnancy I won't aim so low but now I know I can.
    However when I see some people's profile - it is scary. Usually these are young girls who really want to be skinny skinny no matter what :ohwell:
  • ehorner1976
    ehorner1976 Posts: 147
    Options
    Well I use a picture of my dog, because I am too embarassed to put a picture of myself. Trust me I need to lose the weight. Sometimes I think that posting a picture of yourself seems like an invasion of privacy. I am sure others feel the same but try to post a picture of something they like or in my case a picture of my walking partner! :flowerforyou:
  • mablesyrup
    mablesyrup Posts: 286 Member
    Options

I don't think it is for us to judge. We have no way of knowing what is going on with someone based solely on their profile. It could be an old picture that they are using as motivation or they may just want to lose their last 5/10/20 pounds. If someone does have an eating disorder, I think this is a supportive site for everyone, being underweight can be just as harmful as being overweight.

Since I have joined he site my focus has been more on healthy living and less on weight loss.I am more concerned with being fit, healthy and fueling my body with the proper food it needs to facillitate those goals.

I am sorry if I came off that I was judging this girl! It didn't even cross my mind- I just thought she looked really good already- or at least in the picture. I have pictures I could post that make me look like I don't need to loose a single lb.. So I wasn't implying I thought she shouldn't be here! For some reason it just triggered a thought in my mind about if some people are 'abusing' the support for the wrong reasons. I wasn't accusing anyone or being judgemental- it was more just a "what if" thought/question to think about and I wondered if others had thought the same thing! I hope what edyta said is true- that people- wether they need to gain or to loose would find this site helpful AND useful in maintaining and getting to a HEALTHY lifestyle :smile: I know in one of the magazines i get- can't remember if it's allure or what- but they have a weight feature where they track women who need to loose weight or need to gain weight. I think it's great they also are showing women who have gained weight to be healthy!
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options

I am sorry if I came off that I was judging this girl! It didn't even cross my mind- I just thought she looked really good already- or at least in the picture. I have pictures I could post that make me look like I don't need to loose a single lb.. So I wasn't implying I thought she shouldn't be here! For some reason it just triggered a thought in my mind about if some people are 'abusing' the support for the wrong reasons. I wasn't accusing anyone or being judgemental- it was more just a "what if" thought/question to think about and I wondered if others had thought the same thing! I hope what edyta said is true- that people- wether they need to gain or to loose would find this site helpful AND useful in maintaining and getting to a HEALTHY lifestyle :smile: I know in one of the magazines i get- can't remember if it's allure or what- but they have a weight feature where they track women who need to loose weight or need to gain weight. I think it's great they also are showing women who have gained weight to be healthy!

I understand what you are saying. I think the same thing but in our eyes, they look good, but in theirs it's a different story. I have people tell me that I look really good even though I still have 38 pounds to go. It's all in the eye of the beholder. I guess for me, anyone who is slimmer, looks good regardless if they are at their ideal weight.
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    I think I read a few posts here from girls (or maybe it was in their profiles) who were eating too little because of silly diets or even had an eating disorder and now they are trying to change their lifestyle.
    MFP is really a great idea.