$25/mo for access to fitness clubs?

Options
I know NOTHING about fitness clubs. I have the opportunity to sign up for access to a network of fitness clubs through my work. The particular centers in my area are Snap Fitness, 24 Hour Fitness, and Flex Fit Gyms.
My question is, do you think it is a good deal at $25/month?
And then my next question is how do I use the stupid machines????
Finally, how to get over the intimidation that these places seem to have over me?

Replies

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    $25 isn't bad at all. I would go to the gyms first though and see if you like them and if they are clean, well-equipped, convienent, etc.

Don't use the stupid machines. Use the barbells and dumbells (try new rules of lifting for women or starting strength. Another one people use is Stronglifts 5x5.)

As far as the intimidation factor? Just sack up and do it.
  • rrrainiii
    rrrainiii Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think $25 a month is reasonable, but my best advice is DO NOT sign a contract you can't get out of. There are plenty of gyms that have no cancellation fees...try not to get sucked into a membership you can't cancel. I used to have Snap and they let me out, no questions asked. That said, the elliptical and treadmill are pretty easy to figure out. If nothing else, you could ask someone who works there to help you or a friendly looking stranger. As for weight training, I know it's super important (and I'll admit I don't do it as much as I should), but the instructions are on the machines. Or...while you're on the treadmill, watch what other people are doing!

Also, try to go when the gym has less people (later on at night the gym tends to be empty, and on weekends). You won't feel so anxious and you'll learn what to do so then you won't be afraid to jump on any machine you wish, even when the gym is busy. I was terrified to go at first, but thankfully I have friends who go with me so we got over the fear pretty quickly.

I'm thankful that a Planet Fitness just opened up in my town. $10 a month, the staff is really nice, and there are no cancellation fees. The gym is huge and there are all different kinds of people there. I love it!

You'll get over the intimidation because you'll love the results and you'll love the way you feel. I PROMISE! Good luck!! :)
  • Shamrock_me
    Shamrock_me Posts: 161
    Options
    $25 isn't bad for a no commitment membership - I do Snap Fitness. A lot of places will let you go for a week for free to find out if you like it.

As for the intimidation I assume its from working out in front of others??? --- I go damn early in the morning when nobody tends to be around so I can test drive the machines and if I look like a goof not knowing what I'm doing well no one else is there. I've been going for 3 months and turns out I like it better that way because I'm stingy and I like to switch up machines and go back and forth and it helps if there is only a person or two in there so I don't have to wait around for a machine. Secondly - most of the people in the gym are going to be healthy, fit, thin just like you. A lot of the times we don't even talk to each other, now & then you strike up a conversation with someone and you get a good diet tip, recipe, workout idea.. etc.

As for what approach to use, I'm a cardio junkie. At 4 am its kinda my thing to not have to think about it, just hit the machine and go forward. On the weekends I like to do the heavy stuff because I hit the gym later with a lil more brain function. ANY exercise is better than none, but do what you want. Someone elses standard may not work for you. Do what you enjoy and you're more likely to stick with it. I started with walking my dog.

And Oh, most places will give you a freebie training session on machines. I just blatantly went up to a guy on a machine I wanted to use one day and asked. Most people are going to be nice because they've been the new person once. Good luck!!
  • woodsk67
    woodsk67 Posts: 88
    Options
    I have belonged to SNAP fitenss and its great- Ask for 7-14 day trial and be sure its right for you.. The cntracts are month to month, so you can leave at anytime.
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    $25 is great. Some places are $60 a month or more.

I believe Snap Fitness is the best of those. My 23-year old nephew is a gymrat and he goes there all the time.
  • Asil02
    Asil02 Posts: 261
    Options
    Thanks for all the pointers and encouragement. I have never been one to exercise much. Haven't an athletic bone in my body and sweating is not something I have ever "tried" to make myself do LOL But I know I HAVE to do something. Doing a LOT of changing this year.

The good thing about this deal through my work, is I will have access to all 3 of those gyms I listed, as well as a network of nationwide gyms should I travel or something. I am not limited to just one center. I can go to the Snap Fitness by my house one day and the 24 Hour Fitness by my work the next. Also, I am not going to have to sign a contract like some of you were asking! WOOT!