hello

Options
Hi,

I'm a university student from Toronto, Canada who is looking to stay active and loose weight over the summer.. I'm scared of following in my mom's footsteps and becoming overweight. I've tried everything and piggy backed my mom on every diet venture she has tried. I've attempted the grapefruit diet, South Beach, Skinny *****, 3 day diet- you name it i've attempted it.

what would you guys recommend doing to make this program a successful one for me.

enjoy the afternoon

Replies

• mel_loomans
    Options
    Hi,

I'm a university student from Toronto, Canada who is looking to stay active and loose weight over the summer.. I'm scared of following in my mom's footsteps and becoming overweight. I've tried everything and piggy backed my mom on every diet venture she has tried. I've attempted the grapefruit diet, South Beach, Skinny *****, 3 day diet- you name it i've attempted it.

what would you guys recommend doing to make this program a successful one for me.

enjoy the afternoon
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    First of all, you are a gorgeous girl from your picture! :heart:

Secondly, I wouldn't worry too much about following a "diet." Just do whatever works for you and fits into your calories. Some people really watch their sugar or fat or protein but I just try to make sure everything is in a normal range on average.

My average day:
    Breakfast: fruit and oatmeal, sometimes some maple syrup in the oatmeal, rice milk
    Lunch: peanut butter and jelly sandwich, carrots, raisins, rice milk
    Dinner: Lasagna or other more filling meal, small salad
    Snacks: Fruit, veg, hummus, etc. and TONS of water throughout the day.

Just make sure to eat fruit, veg, whole grains, beans or meat, and some oil or other fat every day. Watching my calories really helps me because I was eating way too much before. You probably don't have that problem.

Also, I walk 2 miles every other day, and run/walk 2 miles on the off days. Otherwise, running after my 1 year old counts as exercise! :laugh:

By the way, I really liked the book Skinny B**ch. I thought it was a good book, and definitely started to read more labels and eat less dairy. However, it is too strict for me to become completely vegan. I could do it for a year or so just to lose weight, but then I might gain all the weight back if I don't learn how to just eat a well balanced diet. You have to do what works for you, but never in the extreme that you could never keep up. Let yourself have some "cheat" foods every once in awhile, but watch the calories, or ask a friend to talk a walk or bike ride with you!

Good luck! Sorry this is so long.
  • jpwarner
    jpwarner Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. Balance food and excerise in the proper amount works wonders. The website helps you keep track of all that which should if all goes well, help you maintain and/or lose what you want to be.
  • twin2
    twin2 Posts: 404
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, best of luck!!! You will find the support and motivation you will need here to reach your goal!