First Half Marathon..Help!!!

Options
Hi! I'm very new to running & decided that I'm going to run the Disney Princess Half Marathon in February 2013. I know it's still a bit a way, but I need to start training now. I would appreciate any tips/ advice to help me along my journey. Thanks!!

Disney_Princess_Half_Marathon_coursemap.jpg

Replies

• Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    http://halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

This is the program I used last year and am using for half upcoming in June! Good luck! See you on the road!
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Congrats! :)

I'm running my first half next weekend - AHHH! Here are some things I learned along the way:
    - find a training plan that looks realistic and stick to it! (Hal Higdon has lots of awesome options - and if you're new to running maybe start with his full marathon "novice supreme" but take it just to the half point?) The earlier you start getting miles under your belt the better :) You have a while so start small and build a base if you're not already running.
    - Invest in a few pieces of actual running clothes. Wicking fabric makes SUCH a huge difference! I'm also in love with compression pants, but when it's hot out they're too warm. Also, a running hat helps when it's super sunny.
    - Go to a running store and get fitted for shoes. The people at the store should measure your foot, look at how you walk, etc. The right shoe makes a big difference
    - Hydrate! I started off not bothering with water on short runs, and only started carrying water around 6 or 7 miles. Now I carry it even on 3 mi. runs - it makes a big difference for me. Also, I start using gels or some sort of energy product around 45 min. out if I'm going to be running more than an hour (and recommendations are to repeat every 45 min to hour)
    - Wear sunblock. I have the worst tan right now lol

also...
    HAVE FUN! :drinker:
  • Sox90716
    Options
    Also, I start using gels or some sort of energy product around 45 min. out if I'm going to be running more than an hour (and recommendations are to repeat every 45 min to hour)

Do the gels bother your stomach at all?
  • KLo924
    Options

I haven't had a problem so far, but my husband (who's also training) has had issues with some. He tends to use powerbar and gu brands and likes chocolatey flavors, and I use Vega and sometimes Clif and use fruitier flavors (Vega's my go-to, but it doesn't have caffeine, so I switch it up sometimes). I'm not sure if it's just a difference in people, or brands, or ingredients for flavoring, or what.

But short answer - no, thankfully! They're so helpful.

PS: Also, I take them with lots of water.
  • Sox90716
    Options

I haven't had a problem so far, but my husband (who's also training) has had issues with some. He tends to use powerbar and gu brands and likes chocolatey flavors, and I use Vega and sometimes Clif and use fruitier flavors (Vega's my go-to, but it doesn't have caffeine, so I switch it up sometimes). I'm not sure if it's just a difference in people, or brands, or ingredients for flavoring, or what.

But short answer - no, thankfully! They're so helpful.

PS: Also, I take them with lots of water.

Thanks! I had someone recommend using gel supplements after my legs cramped up at mile 9 last year!
  • kaatielove
    kaatielove Posts: 113
    Options
    Does anyone use a hydration belt? I see runners with them all the time, but not sure if I should invest in one?
  • KLo924
    Options
    Does anyone use a hydration belt? I see runners with them all the time, but not sure if I should invest in one?

I got this Nathan belt and it's super comfortable: http://www.nathansports.com/our-products/hydrationnutrition/racespeed-series/trail-mix (took a couple miles to get used to the first time, but I'm used to it now), although I wish I had more water on longer runs. I need to either stash refills somewhere or plan my routes better to refill at a park or something.

My husband has this Amphipod and loves it: http://www.amphipod.com/products/hydration/runlite-airstretch-4

I also got this little handheld guy for short runs: http://www.nathansports.com/our-products/hydrationnutrition/handhelds/sprint
  • kaatielove
    Options
    What about running shoes? Are there any that are better than others? Theres a shoe store by my house that fits you and you get on a treadmill so they can see how you walk. I plan on going there this week, but want to get a general idea of a good shoe..
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    What about running shoes? Are there any that are better than others? Theres a shoe store by my house that fits you and you get on a treadmill so they can see how you walk. I plan on going there this week, but want to get a general idea of a good shoe..

A good shoe is the one that they recommend for your gait and that feels comfortable. Don't worry about the brand. If they are a reputable running store, they won't sell crap.
  • Ariloum
    Ariloum Posts: 12
    Options
    That sounds fun!! =) It pretty much boils down to: Right attire, Training and nutrition.
    I just completed my second half maraton about a month ago, and I had lots of fun! I did not give myself enough time to follow recommended training guidelines, but I have been running for a while now, so I was just fine.
    It is amazing what your mind can do, once you are there, you will be easily motivated to push yourself. However, the point is to not have to push yourself too much in order to get to the finish line. Remember the first race is about finishing within the time limit.
    I would suggest you look online for training schedules, I have found some very helpful ones. I would most definitely recommend the use of a heart rate monitor. Also, make sure your shoes are the right ones, that is VERY important. You may even need to go to a sports store so they will help you find the right fit for you. Good luck, and have fun! =)
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options

I don't wear running belts at all, but that's me. I just don't like having extra crap strapped to me, so when I'm training on longer runs, I stash stuff around my planned route (I'm a crazy little squirrel, I know.) But you probably won't need one, especially at races that are going to have stops often, and Disney is great with having plenty of water and Gatorade opportunities available. I ran their half-marathon in Disneyland in 2007 and the full in DisneyWorld in 2008, and had no issues with hydration. At the end, they actually handed out gels and bars, as well. Don't know if they'll do that with the princess one, but Disney is great with keeping you well-stocked.

Of course, having your own stuff is great, because then you don't have to rely on the providers, or try and dash around other runners, so there could be a benefit to bringing your own belt. I just never did, because I never felt like I needed one. \

And as for shoes, if you're going to get fitted or new ones, get them NOW. You want to be able to break them in and do training in them, so that your feet aren't suddenly adjusting too soon before the actual race.

Good luck! Just remember to have fun, and relax! Running is fun, especially in Disney. They do a great job of organizing their races, even with mass amounts of people. :)
  • Samanthabrinton
    Options
    I did disney last year and It was a blast. Because its a super fun run dont worry too much about time only because its your first and because you can stop along the way and have your pics taken with characters if you bring your camera, or like i did was bring my iphone and I listened to music with it too. As far as the hydration belt, I havent used one in the race because there are PLENTY of stops along the way but for training purposes I usually used my camelbak. I went to a running store and they analyzed the way I run and got a shoe that was for my specific foot landing. They have them a lot of places. I've seen a lot of them are called fleet feet. Good luck! Just dont give up on it!
  • RMuske
    RMuske Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My first half marathon I was well undertrained and my lessons are...
    ~Stick to your training, don't let it go by the wayside.
    ~Bring Gu Packets Or Some Sustinance With You On Race Day!!! Regardless of what they say they might have because they might not!.
    ~Water, Water, and more Water.
    ~I took one Immodium an hour before my race "Just in Case" and I had no GI issues.
    ~If you are doing it alone get a rockin mix going on your IPod.
    ~HAVE FUN!!!
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I ran 4 marathons and 3 half marathons. I f you can find a runner's club near you, get involved. They are wicked knowledgable and eager to help. Also. there is a good book by Jeff Galloway that will help you prepare. My personal advice is get good shoes, build a good base mileage, and stay true to the long runs and go slow on them. I made the mistake first time of trying to run long runs at race pace, you will injure yourself!! Find buddies to run with you to keep you motivated, and at some point, incorporate hills and speed work. Drink water!!!! Alot of info, but the above mentioned sources will help you immensely, Good luck and have fun in Disney!!!!!
  • kaatielove
    Options
    What are these gel things you're referring to? Where can I get them & what are the benefits?
  • hoosmi
    hoosmi Posts: 18
    Options
    I've done the Princess twice- it's really fun. Definitely look into training plans (Hal Higdon is good)- you have plenty of time. Make sure you don't overdo it. It's easy to get excited and try to add too many miles or minutes and get hurt in your training.

As far as gels go, ask at the running store if they have them- they are just little packs of icing type stuff to give you some energy during your race. There are a lot of different brands and flavors (and they don't taste like icing unfortunately). Some people prefer sportsbeans (like jellybeans)- I don't because my kids steal them...

As you go along, you'll figure out your drink strategy. I carry a handheld bottle at home. In a race I usually bring a little water bottle and toss it after a couple of water stops. Then I will rely on the water stops for drinks. I've done the belt thing too- they drive me crazy but lots of people like them.

Take a camera or your phone or whatever if you even think that could be fun. Disney will have a Cast Member with the characters who will take the pictures for you. I wore a tiara-- that is so not me, but it felt right and my pictures crack me up!

Have fun!

Jen
  • kaatielove
    Options
    BUMP.... is there anything that you would recommend for a newbie? I appreciate any & all feedback! =)
  • kaatielove
    Options
    BUMP>
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents

Anything you are planning on using during the race TRAIN with...this includes your breakfast, any supplements, any stomach pills, any food, ANYTHING.

Everyone is different and the one thing you don't want to learn during your first half marathon is that your stomach doesn't like gels (like mine doesn't) or that immodium pills screw with your legs (I had a friend do this before her last marathon & ended up 40 minutes SLOWER than she should have been because her legs were so heavy).
  • AmandaRNinNE
    Options

Everyone is different and the one thing you don't want to learn during your first half marathon is that your stomach doesn't like gels (like mine doesn't) or that immodium pills screw with your legs (I had a friend do this before her last marathon & ended up 40 minutes SLOWER than she should have been because her legs were so heavy).

Completely agree! I ran my first Half yesterday. I hadn't trained using Immodium, but decided to use it before the run yesterday. My calves and quads started cramping horribly about 8 miles in and my time was about 40 minutes slower then I was hoping. I felt horribly dehydrated. I think I would have taken a case of the running trots instead of what I experienced.

As for training. Start out with a good pair of shoes. Many shoe/running stores will evaluate your step/stride and will put you into a pair of shoes that will best fit your feet. This is VERY important to do. You would hate to sign up, start training and end up with a stress fracture and not be able to run on the big day all because you wore the wrong shoes. There are a TON of training programs available for free online. I personally used a 12 week program through nikerunning.com. And then had the GPS app on my iPhone.

I don't feel you would need a hydration belt on the day of the run, but it may be useful for training. On the day of the run, they usually have hydration stations every couple of miles.

There are also quite a few Energy Gels out on the market. Do your research and find the one that works for you. I personally like and use GU Energy gel. https://guenergy.com/products/products-energy-gels/ You can easily safety pin them to your shirt/waste line when you are out on a long run. You can also put things like skittles, coffee bean, gummy bears into a little baggie in your pocket for some added energy when you need it. I would stay away from chocolate things as they will most likely melt. :)

I hope this helps. Good luck! And happy training!