Future Yooper looking for friends

Options
tobakett
tobakett Posts: 14 Member
Hello all,

My name's Gen and I'm 26 and currently living in Milwaukee. In 3 months I am moving to Houghton, MI to finally live with the love of my life. I have a total of 260 lbs to lose, and I'm down 44 since June (not a great start, I know).

My weight loss push started in June 2011, when I was supposed to travel to the Phillipenes for work, however, when the head manager heard how big I was, they "decided they needed me to stay in town". I was moritified and upset that I missed out on such a huge opportunity because of my size. Then, this March, my love of 4.5 years proposed to me, so now I'm really kicking it into high gear because I do NOT want to be a Shamu bride.

I have tried just about every "diet" out there and failed miserably, and so I decided to just keep things easy. Calories in, calories out - it's how my mother lost 150 lbs many years ago. I recently purchased a FitBit, and also was finally able to ride a bicycle again, which is a HUGE rush.

I want to lose weight for a lot of reasons. Obviously, the self image is pretty terrible. I also want to be able to do the things I love again, like canoe and ski and horseback ride. I want to be able to dress up and feel pretty. I want to be a stunning bride. Most of all, I want to be a healthy wife, so that I can become a healthy mother, and give my future children as many good years as I can. I want to be healthy to spend as many years on this earth as I can, and grow old with my fiance. If I work hard, I can do all those things.

So yeah, sorry about the novel there, but just looking to make some friends :)

Replies

• arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site. I know what it feels like to get passed up because of weight at my old job =\

Feel free to add me if you want.
  • tobakett
    Options
    Thanks! Request Sent :)
  • sarahbeth1629
    sarahbeth1629 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hello from a "Troll" (I grew up below the bridge) :)
  • Nanou1975
    Nanou1975 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    HI,

I know how you feel about being a shamu bride, I was so stressed out about the wedding that I actually gained 40lbs, of course, that was back then when I didn't see anything wrong with being fat (actually I had given up on losing weight).
  • therealmom
    therealmom Posts: 2
    Options
    Your mom is right, and you are on the right track. That's why these kinds of tools are the best, if you use them consistently. It helped me learn that it's just science and not about whether I am "good" or "bad." At the most basic level, you have to create a calorie deficit to lose weight, and you have to really know the calories to create a deficit. Good luck!
  • jkrim941
    jkrim941 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me!
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

My name's Gen and I'm 26 and currently living in Milwaukee. In 3 months I am moving to Houghton, MI to finally live with the love of my life. I have a total of 260 lbs to lose, and I'm down 44 since June (not a great start, I know).

Not a great start? I think it's an incredible start! 44 lbs in not quite a year isn't bad at all. It's great to have you here. I'm still fairly new here. I started at 230 myself and am down to 204 (prior to this site.) You're totally on the right track.
  • tobakett
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It's so nice to meet all of you! It's great not feeling so alone in this journey :)
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It's so nice to meet all of you! It's great not feeling so alone in this journey :)

you're never alone on this site! We're all in this together! Other community enforcing sayings that I cant think of right now :D

And I wish I was down 44lbs from start :p

Feel free to add me if being entertained by clever sayings, energetic congratulations on your milestones, and fun dashing men are your thing!

...that last part was flirtatious wasnt it? I am not a fan of deleting what I write, so I will keep it. Just know that it is not meant to be flirtatious...
  • jedibunny
    jedibunny Posts: 321
    Options
    I'm a fan of Yoopers just because Yooping seems like a fantastic thing to do. lol feel free to add!

Also your name sounds like Boba Fett, and therefore, win.
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    you can add me, I'm a good friend!
  • lyricalLies13
    lyricalLies13 Posts: 151
    Options
    welcome, I also live in michigan. i dont know where houghton is tho im closer to detroit area.
  • cournae
    cournae Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    That really makes me mad- how horrible that a job would go to someone simply over another because of how they look.... anyways, good luck! I'm in Milwaukee as well and about halfway to my goal. I have tried EVERY diet out there, but calories in, calories out is the absolute best and most successful way (actually the only way) that I have lost weight so far... Almost ready to try on swimsuits for Florida!
  • feb06momma
    feb06momma Posts: 169
    Options
    I'm a former "yooper" (I escaped!!) but I'd be happy to friend you on this journey!
  • redcut
    redcut Posts: 176
    Options
    I am from lower Michigan i live in the Grand Rapids area I have been to Houghton a long time ago love the yoopers please feel free to add me and great luck with your journey:happy:
  • tobakett
    Options
    @jedibunny Yep....that's intentional, I'm a huge fan of the Fett :)

@lyricallies It's wayyyy upper peninsula Michigan....only thing up there is Michigan Technological University, which is where my fiance is working on his PhD (and only reason I even know where Houghton is :P )

@everyone:

WOW, I am really awestruck in all the friends I have made! It's funny, I've been on this site a year now and didn't even realize there was this community until a fellow FitBit person told me they were on MFP. It definitely is a great motivator! Thanks!