Body for Life Program

Options
2»

Replies

• majordlite
    majordlite Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it (at least the food list) for about three weeks and have been consistently losing 2 lbs a week. I've also been doing some cardio and strength stuff at the gym almost every day for about an hour, but not exactly what's in the BFL book. The main thing about the list of foods is that you don't eat white bread or rice, or sweets with sugar, or bacon, etc. www.bodyforlife.com/library/food-list. Also, you get one day a week to eat basically whatever and however much you want. I did this before and lost about 7 lbs the first week. I certainly didn't buy any supplements or meals, nor did I end up looking like some of those folks in the gallery. But that wasn't my objective. I think it's a very doable program that can give great results.
  • brendafnp
    brendafnp Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies! Yes, I think if I did it, I would not be buying the supplements, as I can't afford that right now. I would just replace them with healthy snacks instead. I think I would definitely have to tweak the diet part a bit so that it is manageable for me, because if I follow something that is super restrictive, I just end up bingeing, of course, I guess you do get the "free day" once a week, huh? It's just if I start following it, I want it to be something that is do-able as a lifestyle.

As far as the workouts go, was the 20 minutes of cardio 3 days a week really enough?

My husband and I did this program about 10 or 11 years ago and had incredible results. I lost 27 lbs in 12 weeks and he lost over 30. I was 39 and he was 44 at the time and that was truly the best shape we'd ever been in. After a while we lost interest and didn't continue the diet and exercise and gained the weight back over a long period of time.

We only did 20 min of cardio as suggested, 3 days a week and resistance training with free weights at home 3 days a week. We took our free days and ate whatever we wanted once a week and it really worked. The key is sustainability! It didn't suit our lifestyle and we didn't stick with it.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i did it back in 2001, and i lost 18 lbs in 6 weeks. went down a couple sizes. ended up preggo and so i stopped.

i found it SOOOOO easy to do. the work outs are short and effective and the meal plan was super duper easy!!

i finished p90x a couple weeks ago and i want to keep lifting, but i don't want to dedicate 1 hr to each work out right now. so, i started body for life on monday. i was hoping there was someone else here doing it too!!

instead of doing the ab work out i start the new rules of lifting for abs last night. did the lower body work out in the morning and the abs in the evening. my gluts hurt today!!!

for the cardio interval days i'm doing couch to 5K, it's about 20 min of walk/ run and i just push myself with each change :-)

i'm glad to see there are others doing it too!
  • herwitsend
    herwitsend Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have been working the BFL program for 3 days now. Glad to see some folks here having success with it!
  • pammilou
    pammilou Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I also did BFL 7 years ago and got great results. Then I got preggers :) I have just started it again 3 weeks ago because I concentrated on running for a while, did two half-marathons, but am in the 'off-season' and want to build muscle plus lose a little more. You don't have to do the supplements and such. I do protein shakes to make sure I get enough protein to build those muscles I want since I don't eat a lot of meat typically, but that's it and it's not even EAS brand. There are a lot of recipes on the website as well. What I like is that while some get bored with it, I like that it's simple with very few ingredients in most recipes. Plus the day off - awesome (although I try to just do a 'meal off' instead.) It's a nice change from the long runs/workouts I was doing for distance running.
  • pammilou
    pammilou Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    OH, make sure you stick with what they tell you to do - don't try to alter it because you think it's not enough or whatever. AND don't get upset if you don't see results right away, particularly on the scale. Most will tell you that it's at week 8 or so that you will see sudden and dramatic changes. Give it at least 8-9 weeks of doing it right.
  • GloynByw
    GloynByw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm actually 8 days into BFL right now. I couldn't resist weighing in on Sunday morning and discovered I had lost 4lbs and 2% body fat. I'm really enjoying it so far. I've not long been out of hospital with a serious illness, but this is helping me get my body back on track. Highly recommended.
  • MikeHankins
    MikeHankins Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i was going to add photo of when I
    followed it. It worked well. I lost 30lbs in 10weeks. Great program. Back on it.