Dr OZ

Options
2»

Replies

• ebonijo2
    ebonijo2 Posts: 73
    Options
    Actually speaking from a medical stand point most of the supplements that he does mention does have some holistic value to them its just they are just not apporiate for everyone. Because there or some medical teaching professions that do believe in a holistic approach and the reason most individuals find it to be far out there is because its not a general practice.
    Dr. Oz show is a bit out there but compared to the othe shows likes his, I would say as a medical professional, he does provide more valid information than the rest even though most of it is for ratings.
    LIke most things in this world I say take it with a grain of salt and do your on research meaning, don't just google something, actually go to a peer veiwed search engine like Medline and PubMed. You can find medically based journals or articles on any information and really find out the value of those supplements.
  • dawny17
    dawny17 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    @Sidesteal, he has a show today an appetite suppressants. Just seems too good to be true. I just have fallen for this type of fads in the past, and they simply do not last.. temporary solutions

If you like the idea of supressing your appetite I would suggest that you do so via food choice. For example, you may wish to look at ways to increase the volume of food you eat and/or be more mindful of satiety when choosing individual food items.

For purposes of example I will list a dish that I eat often when I'm restricting calories:

Tilapia (12oz to a full pound) fillets pan fried (not-breaded) in 1 pat of butter, with a whole yellow onion, 1 glove of garlic.
    3 to 4 servings of broccoli or green beans (steamed)
    A large bowl of spinach leaves topped with a whole cucumber, 2 oz of turkey breast, 2 tbsp of light italian dressing (in a gigantic serving bowl designed for a family).

That meal that I just listed is large enough that the average MFP user (not referring to most bodybuilders here) can't even eat it. It's too much food. We're talking about a pound of fish, a MASSIVE bowl of steamed vegetables (seasoned typically), and a gigantic salad. Not to mention I'm putting a big dent in my protein requirements for the day.

The amount of food I just listed is all low calorie items. I can literally stuff the hole in my face with all of that food, burp, smile, and go lay on the couch, and giggle as I still have tons of calories left over for later.

I'm posting this just as an example. If I were to have chosen a cheeseburger and fries instead of the above meal, I'd run out of calories faster, I'd be less satisfied in terms of fullness, and I'd not contribute to my protein macro as fast.

This doesn't mean "avoid junk food", just to be clear on that. I'm just illustrating a strategy that you can consider when choosing food, so that you remain full on less calories, allowing you to eat for volume.
    I completely agree! I've switched up some of my ok foods, for better ones that way I can have more substance and fewer calories.....

3 eggwhites and 1 egg = 125 calories
    3 whole eggs = 221 calories

1 salmon fillet (5 oz, 171 g) = 140 calories
    roast beef ( 5oz, 170 g) = 200 calories

1 cup mashed potates = 135 calories
    1 cup steamed veggies (carrots, cauli, broc) =45 calories

not saying any of theses foods are not good, I'll just switch up whats on my plate so I can have more food with less calories.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    actually go to a peer veiwed search engine like Medline and PubMed. You can find medically based journals or articles on any information and really find out the value of those supplements.

Agreed with this part, and I have done so with some of the supplements he offers and that's exactly why I've concluded that he is full of turds.
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I can't watch him anymore since his episode about Cancer where he said everyone has it but not everyone shows signs because it gets fought off.

I know that very well might be true in our world today but... I find him to be a scare-mongerer.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz pretty much has zero credibility on his show. Now, I don't believe that Dr. Oz, the doctor, has no knowledge or information, but he's pretty much turned his show into an informercial for the "fat burning gimmick of the week."

When he makes guest appearances on other shows, and speaks more toward his expertise (he IS a cardiologist, after all, not a dietician,) he comes across as much more knowledgeable and "legit." Personally, if I had to choose, I would take advice from his daughter on The Chew than from him on his show, any day. Probably because it's mainly a cooking show, but at least she sticks to talking about food for better health, rather than just popping pills.
  • miami_mimi
    miami_mimi Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    @Sidesteal, he has a show today an appetite suppressants. Just seems too good to be true. I just have fallen for this type of fads in the past, and they simply do not last.. temporary solutions

If you like the idea of supressing your appetite I would suggest that you do so via food choice. For example, you may wish to look at ways to increase the volume of food you eat and/or be more mindful of satiety when choosing individual food items.

For purposes of example I will list a dish that I eat often when I'm restricting calories:

Tilapia (12oz to a full pound) fillets pan fried (not-breaded) in 1 pat of butter, with a whole yellow onion, 1 glove of garlic.
    A large bowl of spinach leaves topped with a whole cucumber, 2 oz of turkey breast, 2 tbsp of light italian dressing (in a gigantic serving bowl designed for a family).

That meal that I just listed is large enough that the average MFP user (not referring to most bodybuilders here) can't even eat it. It's too much food. We're talking about a pound of fish, a MASSIVE bowl of steamed vegetables (seasoned typically), and a gigantic salad. Not to mention I'm putting a big dent in my protein requirements for the day.

The amount of food I just listed is all low calorie items. I can literally stuff the hole in my face with all of that food, burp, smile, and go lay on the couch, and giggle as I still have tons of calories left over for later.

I'm posting this just as an example. If I were to have chosen a cheeseburger and fries instead of the above meal, I'd run out of calories faster, I'd be less satisfied in terms of fullness, and I'd not contribute to my protein macro as fast.

This doesn't mean "avoid junk food", just to be clear on that. I'm just illustrating a strategy that you can consider when choosing food, so that you remain full on less calories, allowing you to eat for volume.

Completely agreed! I have definitely made major improvements since eating healthier.. I do eat a lot more fruits, veggies. nuts and lean meats. I cant lie, I do have moments when I miss junk food, but I feel like crap for at least 2 days with bloating and so forth... thank you for all your input!
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I tend to take his advice with a grain of salt..if there were that many suppliments to lose weight a lot more people would know. What I do is I take the info to my Dr and ask her about it, I said she must hate hearing about him lol. But she said it can sometimes be a learning experience for her, someone comes in and asks, she looks into it, and if it is true she's learned something new. I trust my Dr, you should try to ask you Dr before trying anything off tv or the internet anyway :wink:
  • cycleholic
    cycleholic Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    He's as entertaining as he's paid to be...
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Just watch his show for two more days and you'll see that all he does is try to sell you stuff. Every night while I watch the news I see a commercial for his show and one day he promises the secret to lose weight.

He used to be interesting and seemed serious when he was with Oprah. Now, he just looks stupid.
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I agree, he is a quack at this point. Very much an alarmist too - my opinion. Reminds me of someone like Dr. Phil, in it for the money, entertainment, ratings, etc.

I have watched him a few times. Didn't he go all crazy recently about arsenic and apple sauce or apple juice and really it was just an alarmist piece of 'news' not backed by much facts or information? Correct me if I am wrong.

Agreed! He and Dr. Phil both drive me nuts!!!
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I missed it what was he peddling?
    just caught Dr. Oz for the first time... anyone follow him? is he legit or full of BS???
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Drives me nuts! Especially when he ends every segment with "makes sense?"

Quack!
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    i used to like his show when I first watched it

However i find its information overload...there is a new diet supplement every week or some natural food or seeds...its like what does one take and not take?! Every time he promotes something, it gets sold out or the price goes thru the roof

So I watch the show here n there for fun and entertainment

Mostly I watch it for 'natural' skin/hair/body care stuff which at times is interesting and also exercises...there was one guy who showed a 5 minute exercise and just looking at it, i felt out of breath

the "TMI" shows are sometimes funny and interesting
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options

I have nothing to add, but this man's post deserves a repost. My feelings summed up exactly.
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    I can't watch him anymore since his episode about Cancer where he said everyone has it but not everyone shows signs because it gets fought off.

I know that very well might be true in our world today but... I find him to be a scare-mongerer.

It's a scare monger tactic, for sure.. but it is accurate. Cells are constantly dividing and sometimes they go haywire. This is cancer. It happens in everybody every day, more often the more you are exposed to 'carcinogens'. The body has an army of systems to keep it in check and to destroy the problem before it gets out of hand. When these systems fail, we have cancer.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options

You're freakin' awesome.
  • katanasnk
    katanasnk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I do recommend the first couple of books he co-authored: You: On a Diet and You: Owner's Manual. The dietary advice in the BOOK is biochemically reasonable (I have a Ph.D. in Biomedical Sciences) and it does result in weight loss (I've used it personally). You can find that info at RealAge.com under Action Plans-Diet Menu Planner.

However, I fully agree that I no longer trust or use the information coming from the TV show and stopped watching long ago. My respect for him has declined markedly.