Heart Rate Monitor.....

Options
chris1529
chris1529 Posts: 315 Member
Which one is the best BUT affordable? I was looking at the New Balance ones today at Target. I kow I should probably get the one that straps around your chest so that it continuously measures your heart rate for more accurate calorie burn.

Replies

• susansil
    susansil Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have always used Polars. They are accurate, reliable, sturdy and have been in the business for many, many years. You don't need all the bells & whistles included in the fancier models. No matter what you decide, I wouldn't bother with one that doesn't include a chest strap.
  • ChelsChubzz
    ChelsChubzz Posts: 44
    Options
    im wondering the same thing, i found one at walmart for $28 , but it doesnt have a chest strap. i dont know if it'll be totally accurate though

:/
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have always used Polars. They are accurate, reliable, sturdy and have been in the business for many, many years. You don't need all the bells & whistles included in the fancier models. No matter what you decide, I wouldn't bother with one that doesn't include a chest strap.

^^^^ This
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Some of the cheaper ones do not give you calorie burn, so if you want it for this purpose, you may want to check that before buying.
  • msleesha
    msleesha Posts: 39
    Options
    I have a Polar and it is very acurate. I would definetly recommend purchasing this one. It may be more than you want to spend, but you will get your money's worth. I bought one from Wal-mart when I first started training and it was very inaccurate and gave out on me around the 3 month mark. It came with a chest strap and was $38. I paid $75 for my polar off of ebay and it was brand new. It's an FT4.
  • banffkid
    banffkid Posts: 59
    Options
    Polars all the way....Calorie burn is very important!!!!
  • JDKD82199
    JDKD82199 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have a Sportline I bought at walmart several years back, it has a chest strap and gives calories burned. I have had no problems with it. Don't remember what it cost.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    You can find Polar FT4s and FT7s for between $60-$80 online. I know that's a bit pricey for some of us, but they are very accurate and, IMO, worth saving for. I have an FT4 and LOVE it.
  • pearceda
    pearceda Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I puchased a New Balance watch and heart strap. I think I got it for around $58.00 (Costco). It works great and easy to use. I would not buy one without a heart strap. I am looking at upgrading now to a full GPS/HRM watch system (Probably a Garmin), but they will cost a little more ($200-$300).
  • EmHorn4
    EmHorn4 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

^^^^ This

Yes.... ^^^^^ THIS! I have been using a Polar HR monitor for the past 9 months and I love it. The strap is very comfortable (some brands do not have comfortable straps - ugh!) and the calorie burn appears to be fairly accurate. Polar also syncs up with a LOT of common brands found on commercial and at-home gym equipment so you can get an accurate HR showing right up on the equipment screen without having to hold onto any handles to see :)
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

^^^^ This

^^^ Me too. I have a Polar FT4 and love it
  • mgero212
    mgero212 Posts: 96
    Options
    I got mine from Best Buy and I am in love with it!
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    I tried to cheap out and ordered a Mio with a chest strap on-line for around $40. it worked for about 2 months and the chest strap was hard plastic and REALLY uncomfortable and would rub an angry spot under my breasts. Finally broke down this weekend and bought Polar FT4 from Target for around $85 and I was shocked by how much better it worked and how much more comfortable the chest strap is. Also setting the watcher was very straight forward and way easier. Polar is pricy but I basically flushed $40 buying cheap crap the first time around.

You can find them much cheaper on-line instead of in store but I'm way to impatient and paying shipping and waiting makes me crazy!
  • NurseAshoRN
    NurseAshoRN Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar ft4...bought it from bodytronics.com on a monday and it was here by thursday. LOVE IT. very very easy to use and I don't workout without it. It was 61.88 shipping included
  • gwynb041109
    gwynb041109 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I got mine at ****s Sporting good, it was 40 dollars and is made by cardio line I think. I like it, has the chest strap and everything :)
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    i have a polar ft4 and i use it most workouts, but looking back now i'd say there are other things you could spend your money on. the calorie burn it's going to give you is going to be somewhat of an estimate even with the chest strap kind.
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have a polar!
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    You can find Polar FT4s and FT7s for between $60-$80 online. I know that's a bit pricey for some of us, but they are very accurate and, IMO, worth saving for. I have an FT4 and LOVE it.

My Polar FT4 was $70.00. That was a lot for me, but totally worth it. I was overestimating my calories burned by so much!
  • TMoni14
    TMoni14 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The one at Wal-Mart isn't accurate at all. I wore that one along with the one that has a chest strap to compare. The one from Wal-Mart said I burned 36 calories, while the other read 536 calories. Save your $28.
  • sw0301
    sw0301 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar ft4...bought it from bodytronics.com on a monday and it was here by thursday. LOVE IT. very very easy to use and I don't workout without it. It was 61.88 shipping included

I also bought my Polar FT4 from bodytronics.com on Tuesday, received it Thursday, same price. LOVE IT as well!! Better than the Sportline that I had paid $120 for!