Diastasis Recti

Options
rcharlee
rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
A friend of mine just told me about Diastasis Recti, and how she has a special trainer to help correct it. I had my baby 10 months ago, and did a self test for this today. I can get 1 finger between those abdominal muscles. I'd like to know if anyone has been able to successfully correct the separated muscles on their own, and what exercises did you do?

Replies

• LiveLifeLogically
    LiveLifeLogically Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any children, but my sister-in-law has 2 and is pregnant with her 3rd. She sells a lot of baby related items in her on-line store and often has articles about mom-related topics. When I told her about your post, she said to check out the following website (it's not hers, but she has visited it before):

http://www.befitmom.com/abdominal_separation.html

There seems to be some good information as well as some instructional videos.

If you want to see her website, which has a lot of cool articles and products for moms, it's tulamama.com

~Kelly~
  • BeFitMom
    BeFitMom Posts: 17
    Options
    Good news! A one finger width gap at the mid line is totally normal after your first pregnancy, and is not wide enough to be considered a diastasis. The definition of diastasis recti is a mid line that is more than two finger widths (US) or more than two centimeters (Europe).
    Most likely, your mid line was wider directly after child birth and has closed up on its' own. Ideally, this is how diastasis resolves.
    If the shape of your abdominal wall is still round, and/or protruding, start doing specialized postpartum rehab exercises to flatten you abdomen and build functional core strength and stability.
    BeFit-Mom
  • tansygreen
    tansygreen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Bump - I have had this since first pregnancy 7 years ago.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    bump to read later.

I was told by physicians that I need surgery to correct mine - it's been present for 12 years, but I've been noticing what seems to me to be a decrease in it.