Chia Seed Gel

Options
LilacDreamer
LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
the other day I decided to "experiment" with chia seeds. i had never tried them before....so i took 23g (i think it was 23) and put them in a bottle of poland spring water. I let it soak at room temperature for like 10-12 hours, and then I put it in the fridge

23 grams of the seed = 93 calories.... but how would i measure the gel? would i just weigh it as i pour it out?

Replies

• kionig
    kionig Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    i'd measure as i poured it out, it would measure as any other liquid i presume. how are you going to use the gel, i'm very interested.
  • LilacDreamer
    Options
    i'd measure as i poured it out, it would measure as any other liquid i presume. how are you going to use the gel, i'm very interested.

I actually thought maybe the calorie composition would change after they're so full of liquid...kind of like Rice/Pasta and how weighing that is different dry vs wet

I'm actually not quite sure how I'm going to use it. I was thinking adding it into smoothies would be good. Also, they kind of have the texture of the tapioca pearls in bubble tea, so i might add them to fruity beverages to change it up a little.

I'm also thinking of making Chia gel pudding using almond milk and using various flavors. :)
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Calories in Chia: 93
    Calories in Water: 0

Total Calories: 93

The only thing that should change the caloric content is adding fat, carbohydrates or protein. Since water isn't any of those, it is safe to say the calories remain the same.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    What an earth are chia seeds?!
  • sammi402
    sammi402 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

I saw this and thought of chia pets. That's probably wrong though since I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to eat them...

17134251.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

I saw this and thought of chia pets. That's probably wrong though since I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to eat them...

17134251.png

my EXACT thoughts!! lmao!
  • DGK12
    DGK12 Posts: 117
    Options
    I don't know if this helps or not, but how I use the gel is this:
    8 oz water
    1 tbl Chia seeds
    1 tbl honey
    Juice from 1/2 lemon
    (FYI, this isn't my mixture, I'm pretty sure I got it from Born to Run)

Mix it in a water bottle, throw it in the fridge, and it's ready within 15 mins. Great drink for a run, or even if I'm just busy at work, and can't grab actual food right then. I'll often premix it.

I also will throw some of the seeds into a stew, or soup for the family. Where they're tasteless, and absorb the flavor of whatever else you cook/mix them with, they're a pretty good little filler and my kids have never noticed (therefor never complained about) them :).

I measure it by whatever quantity dry seeds I used. I'm not sure how else you'd do it.....?
  • mommy1126
    mommy1126 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I don't know. Kind of made me think of the Chia Pets too. I definitely cannot imagine eating those seeds or gel!
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    The calories don't change even though the volume did, so it shouldn't matter.

Chia seeds are magical. Use your gel as an egg substitute now! Haha
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are a good source of Omega 3's that can be utilized as an alternative to fish Omega 3's. They're kind of expensive, but they are worth it. Especially if you're vegan/vegetarian. I add them to chili, oatmeal, etc. They can be used as an egg substitute or thickener. Google them!
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options

17134251.png

They are actually the same type of seeds. Chia pets used Chia gel along with herb seeds to create the final product.
    Chia seeds are an ancient source of nutrients. They are fabulous as an addition to your diet. They have one of the most complete amino acids (protein) of any grain out there... And they are yummy to boot!

I personally just stir them into things like yogurt and cottage cheese... I have also added them to my tuna, veggies, basically anything that has any type of liquid (though in salads, I like their crunchy nutty addition) Haven't used them to replace egg whites yet, but I'm definitely itnerested in doing cookies with them, since they can replace eggs and cut your butter, etc.

I'm just curious as to why you let them sit for that long? At my house, if we want to use them, or just have some, we take a tablespoon and eat them straight from the bag! lol
  • PSTreasure
    PSTreasure Posts: 40
    Options
    I like them sprinkled on cereal or yogurt. I'll have to google and see what else I can do.
  • LilacDreamer
    Options

17134251.png

They are actually the same type of seeds. Chia pets used Chia gel along with herb seeds to create the final product.
    Chia seeds are an ancient source of nutrients. They are fabulous as an addition to your diet. They have one of the most complete amino acids (protein) of any grain out there... And they are yummy to boot!

I personally just stir them into things like yogurt and cottage cheese... I have also added them to my tuna, veggies, basically anything that has any type of liquid (though in salads, I like their crunchy nutty addition) Haven't used them to replace egg whites yet, but I'm definitely itnerested in doing cookies with them, since they can replace eggs and cut your butter, etc.

I'm just curious as to why you let them sit for that long? At my house, if we want to use them, or just have some, we take a tablespoon and eat them straight from the bag! lol

Well at first, I didn't know how long to let them sit. It didnt look very "gel like" and I had been up the whole night and day, and just crashed...I remembered them when I woke up.
  • JamiesQuinoa11
    Options
    I add a tablespoon of chia seeds to my breakfast smoothie every day - no need to soak them at all. Very good super food.
  • JamiesQuinoa11
    Options
    Oh and you can soak the seeds in water at a one to three ratio and replace the "gums" in gluten free baking. Such a better choice...
  • LilacDreamer
    Options
    Just added 2 teaspoons of gel to the minestrone soup i ate and topped it with organic crispy onions. It was really good, and I didn't even notice the seeds. I feel really full, and I would totally eat it again tomorrow.

I just stuck 2 teaspoons in my husbands spinach artichoke dip to try and curb his appetite. he loves to "munch" on all the wrong things :\
  • Ihatechokos4eva
    Options
    Bump
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have never tried Chia, but I want to!

I saved this recipe awhile ago. It looks like it would make a great breakfast.
    http://www.coconutandquinoa.com/2012/01/13/vanilla-chia-pudding-with-berries-and-a-chocolate-version/
  • jypsyjulia
    jypsyjulia Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I recently got into chia seeds because a co-worker told me Dr. Oz was preaching them as a miracle weight loss supplement. Well... number one, what HASN'T he pushed as a weight loss supplement yet? And number two, it's a load of crack wad. It does not make you lose weight, but what I have noticed is that it really regulates your digestive tract! It's also a good source of Omega-3 and has other nutrients as well, so it is a win-win situation. Just don't expect weight loss.
  • ambaker6281
    ambaker6281 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Why is that?? I have never tried it but I would LOVE to.