Whey Protein?!?

Options
I just came back fromy my doctors and I was told to start taking whey protein and put them into smoothies for a morning breakfast. Anyone has any ideas what brand of whey protein tastes great, great value for the price and their experiences with different smoothi drinks?

Anything would help me, I am new to protein powder. thanks

Replies

• kkoshiro
    kkoshiro Posts: 69
    Options
    bump
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I get EAS at BJ's. The vanilla tastes good (better than others I've tried) and it's pretty reasonably priced!
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    if you're going to mix it with anything other than milk, i recommend vanilla
    i use whatever brand is the best deal
  • DrRazamataz
    Options
    For taste I must recommend "Myofusion" by Gaspari. I would say it is the best tasting powder available.

Though, a 100% whey powder would have a higher quality of protein.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    if mixing. vanilla prob..

i get all mine from costco.. cheapest ive seen.. don't really go to much for taste because i drink them so fast whats the point.
  • kristy8403
    kristy8403 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just started having a powdered protein shake for breakfast most morning. I use the Body Fortress Whey Protein - I got it from Walmart for like $13. I am a newbie too - but this was the best I was going to do to try it out. I don't mind the taste. There are some other things you can put in it like peanut butter, and it tastes like a PB cup (with some imagination).

Most mornings I add 1 tbsp of instant coffee and 2 tsp of sugar free / fat free instant pudding mix (the powder) and I add 5-6 ice cubes. I love it!

There are tons of websites where you can see what else to add - it's kind of fun to try new things in the shakes, it keeps it from being drab and boring!
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Betty Lou's Low Glycemic Protein Shake - Protein Shake, 1.5 oz
    This is my favorite ^^
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    if you're going to mix it with anything other than milk, i recommend vanilla
    i use whatever brand is the best deal

I agree, vanilla is more versitale.

But do some research as Consumer Reports dinged a few brands for having excess amounts of heavy metals. Muscle milk was one of the brands that didn't perform to well in that area.
  • shani251
    shani251 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi! I like the Body Fortress powders - they all taste really good, and i've had fantastic results with them. I always find them at Grocery Outlet for a great price. Good luck! :)
  • kristy8403
    kristy8403 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Oh and I use skim milk instead of water.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I use Muscle Tech chocolate powder. I bought a 5 lb bag at SAMs club for about $40. It tastes good and has about 20 grams of protein per scoop. I mix it with 1 cup of chocolate soy milk, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, and add ins ( peanut butter, fruit, etc) and blend it in the blender with 6 ice cubes. You can also search for smoothie recipes on here and get a ton of recipes.
  • thinby40
    thinby40 Posts: 113
    Options
    Lisa Lynn Fitness has the best tasting whey protein shakes. Look her up on line..a little pricey but very filling and delish and low in calories and carbs.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Also, my favorite smoothies:

1. 1 c soy milk, 1/2 c strawberries, 1/2 banana, 1 c spinach (you can't even taste it), 4 oz greek yogurt, 2 scoops vanilla protein powder

2. 1 c soy milk, 1 tb peanut butter, 1/2 tb cocoa powder, 4 oz greek yogurt, 2 scoops vanilla protein powder
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I use Pure Protein Vanilla Creme. Its nto the absolute cleanest stuff on the market but its low in sugar and excess carbs. This mixes well with frozen berries. In fact my breakfast the last two days has been
    1 scoop Protein Powder
    1/2 cup Frozen Sliced Strawberries
    1 cup 2% Milk

If you want something REALLY Cheap, I recommend Body Fortress Strawberry. It mixes great with bananas to provide a full "meal" but be warned, there's a lot of filler and sugar in this brand.
    1 Scoop Body Fortress Powder
    1 Cup Frozen Bananas
    10 ozs of 2% MIlk

I make ALL of my smoothies in a Ninja Drink Maker. It retails for about $50. I usually pulse blend for 20 pulses.

FYI, both of these "SMoothies" have upwards of 300 calories.

Denise
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Designer Whey, It's my favorite. I have it with a slim fast shake on work out days. 8 oz of milk, scoop of whey, scoop of slim fast, a banana, tb of PB and ice, it's so good!!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I have Body Fortress Vanilla Creme for baking (I made shakes for a bit and I don't like the sucralose). I found Bodylogix Decedant Chocolate at Meijer for a good price, uses Stevia so no fake sugars and still low in carbs.
  • FrostyBev
    FrostyBev Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein Gold Standard in Chocolate. Its even tasty when mixed with water. I purchase most my supplements from www.bodybuilding.com. Excellent prices and customer service.
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    For taste I must recommend "Myofusion" by Gaspari. I would say it is the best tasting powder available.

I agree! The milk chocolate flavour tastes like chocolate milk. It's fantastic, whether with water (for the days where I don't have a lot of extra cals to spare), or with skim milk and a banana (for after a tough workout).

I've found that a lot of the brands have a chemical after taste. But this one has nothing but yumminess!
  • brewerjo
    brewerjo Posts: 2
    Options
    It really depends on why.... You say the DR told you to.... but for what purpose? Whey protein is a fast absorbing protein which is best in the AM, or immediately following any work out. You dont need the amount of protein the label says or all at one time. I highly reccommend AMP Whey Extreme 60 from GNC. I like Cookies and cream, vanilla, and Banana. Hated Fruit punch and Chocolate is good if you really like chocolate milk. For losing Weight this a good protein also, but be careful with smoothies and weight loss. They have alot of Cals and weight loss is buring more cals then you eat. Also skip the milk and add water to cut out additional cals. AMP Whey 60 is a isolated protein with Amino Acids to help in muscle recovery post workout. Consume w/in 20-30 post workout or first thing in the AM. Cost is a factor as well as taste. GNC will exchange product if you do not like them and them do sell small packages so you can try before you by in bulk.

Hope this helps.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I use the vanilla flavor from North Coast Naturals; I think the name on the container is "100% Iso-Protein" or something like that. Not sure what it tastes like on its own; I always mix it into a smoothie with berries, milk and greek yogurt.