Would you count this as exercise?

Options
Im scrubbing my tile floors on my hands and knee's my house is 2,000 sq ft and all down stairs is tile and im having to use a scrub brush and a bucket of cleaner to clean my tile it's going to take my hours to get it all done and it's 103 degrees out side about 80 in my house so no matter what im sweating and having to do my floors im dripping sweat but should i count this as exercise or not???

Replies

• astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'd say yes, unless of course this is something you do on a daily basis :bigsmile:
  • sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    yes, absolutely. That is hard work and the way you are doing it is tough. Great going. God Bless, brenda
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I would say no. I just consider it a few extra calories burned. Get your workout in and give yourself a pat on the back for working extra hard.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I've already did my workout for the day and no this is not a every day cleaning routine we just bought this house and i have no idea when the last time these floors where scrubbed so im first scrubbing the grout and then the tiles and then sealing it to make it shine :) .... It's hard work but im really not sure if this counts as a workout maybe i'll just count half the hours i spend on doing it...
  • Peschuntz
    Peschuntz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Unless you had a heart rate pedometer on and were fairly certain of the calorie expenditure, I say skip it. You have no idea how to quantify your activity and it would only be a wild guess.
  • ClaudiaRN
    Options
    when you go to put in an exercise look up cleaning and it will give you a way to see how much calories you have burned.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    they have heavy house work and light house work for you to log in the exercise journal
  • mbmomof4
    mbmomof4 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I definitely would count this as exercise...personally if I'm sweating, and it's in the cardio exercise list, I'm counting it. There is a cleaning option in the list, a vigorous or moderate choice too. So if you feel guilty about adding it to your daily exercise regiment, choose moderate instead of vigorous. In my opinion if you were sweating, that was fat crying for mercy, hence calories being burned....so record it!!!!:tongue:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    I think if u have to ask the question is NO..LOL
    Seriously unless I do some sort of formal training, DVD, cardio I don't count it....
  • lose100
    Options
    First of all, I just have to say, way to go! That does not sound like fun! I personally count anything that is not part of my normal daily routine. I use a heart monitor to see what I am burning, and my last 6 hour house cleaning session burned almost 1500 calories! Makes cleaning a little easier to take, when you see what the payoff is!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

yes, yes, yes,

I count walking my dogs on the hill, cleaning, gardening, and a lot of other things that I do. I don't usually eat all my exercise calories (so if I've over estimated, it's not a big deal) but adding stuff in as exercise makes me eager to do all kinds of things that get me off the couch and doing something. In the old days people kept their weight down by doing chores not by going to gym.

it's working for me so far.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    In the old days people kept their weight down by doing chores not by going to gym.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

This is so true!

I think it also depends what your basic activity level is. Mine is "sedentary" as I have a desk job and a lot of my leisure activities include crafts, reading and Sudoku. You bet I count my activities.
  • samanthalynne21
    samanthalynne21 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    :smile: I would say so...When I clean I sweat so I consider it a little bit of cardio hahah.
    If my heart rate is going...then its good.. =)
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    HECK YEA! I did the same thing all day long and I feel like I just ran 50 miles!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I'd say yes, unless of course this is something you do on a daily basis :bigsmile:

100% agreed- anything that is physically a challenge for a sustained period of time that you don't do on a regular basis is exercise in my book!!
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    If this is something that you do not do on a regular basis and is not accounted for in your activity level, I would count it. Heck I used a heart rate monitor to check how many calories I was burning mopping the floor for 50 minutes. I burned about 100 calories! So if you're doing hard labor count it and make sure to take water breaks!
  • usmcwifeb15
    usmcwifeb15 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I am on the yes side for this one. I am not a big clean my house from head to toe person only like once or twice a month and I always count it. I am so worn out after cleaning and it takes me a couple of hours. I just log it in cleaning under exercise but I think I am going to wear my heart rate monitor next time to see what it says.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I spent hours and hours cleaning this darn floor and im going to have to go over it twice :cry: :grumble: We just moved in and who ever lived here before didn't clean at all and the grout is suppose to be a light grey well it's black and it's driving me insane!!! Does anyone know anything that cleans up grout really good??The product i got from home depo isn't doing the trick and im going insane i also tried baking soda and vinegar and that didn't work either!!!!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Yes, add it under Cleaning, Vigorous.

__

Did you try a mr clean magic eraser on the grout?
  • VanillaHugz
    VanillaHugz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Any activity that makes ya break a sweat is exercise and is burning calories !!!