no sugar diet

Options

Replies

• luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff ...Interesting to see a fitness trainer loosing weight on MFP ?
    Are you here to stalk us ? .... lol !
  • l3long
    l3long Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I find that if I eat any sugar, I crave more and more and more. Sugar also makes me sleepy and low energy. I know my family genetics lean towards hypoglycemia eventually becoming diabetes. For all of these reasons, I try to eat as little refined sugar as possible. When I do crave something sweeti, I have a homemade date bar (similar to Larabars) or a frut juice popsicle. I do occassionally indulge in a square or two of dark chocolate. I find I can stop after a square or two of this whereas milk chocolate, one I start, I can't stop. I can't say I have lost a lot of weight eating this way but I am able to maintain my weight which is always withing 10 lb of ideal. I am currently on this board because I am 10 lb up from ideal which is normal after winter.

It can be maintained if you want to maintain it. Once you realize how much better you feel not eating sugar, you will want to continue. If I do indulge occassionally, I just start fresh the next day. the grogginess and low energy I feel the next day is enough motivation to get back on track.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    I've read that high fructose corn syrup (found in many processed foods) puts belly fat on mice more quickly than the same amount of table sugar.
    Good thing we aren't mice then.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    ninerbuff ...Interesting to see a fitness trainer loosing weight on MFP ?
    Are you here to stalk us ? .... lol !
    Lol, I'm a bodybuilder. We "bulk and cut". I'm coming of a bulk cycle and starting to cut for summer. And as you can tell by my photos I'm in real BAD shape.:laugh:
    Stick around you might learn something.

IDEA Fitness member
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I've read that high fructose corn syrup (found in many processed foods) puts belly fat on mice more quickly than the same amount of table sugar.
    Good thing we aren't mice then.

IDEA Fitness member

So glad I'm not a mouse!! Especially one in a study!! But I guess the poor mice in the studies are there to help scientist understand the way we humans function. By some odd reason, we're similar to mice.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    We're really not all that similar to mice, but mice are cheap and easy to use. There are many, many more scientific studies that show horrific results in rodents that have no negative impact when they switch to human studies, than there are human and rodent studies that reach similar conclusions. There also turn out to be all kinds of things that can have horrible consequences for humans that mice can deal with just fine. In all honesty, rodent studies are useless on their own. The only real purpose for them is to come up with a theory to use for human studies.
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    Tigersword - Thanks for educating me. I'll do some more research to see if the high fructose corn syrup - belly fat study was done on humans after it was done on mice.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Bumping this as I am currently trying to limit my sugar intake to well within what MFP recommends (which for me means cutting out a LOT of my favorite addictions).
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I say practice no or low processed sugar all you want! Just don't expect the same results as your friend. 10kg is great but a lot of that is diet modification and happens when you change how you eat. You may not see the same results. Do it to be healthier, not for the numbers.
  • ishax24
    ishax24 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    After looking at my results on mfp over the last 2 weeks I'm really trying hard to cut out the amount of sugar I'm eating. I've realised most of it is from fruit, bread, and protein shakes but its still a lot more than I would like!! Would love to know more about how this diet works?
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the science of it, but when I cut out all sugar, except 1 fruit a day, my belly fat reduced tremendously. As soon as I incorporated sugar again - with the same calorie level as the no-sugar diet, my belly got bigger. I didn't gain weight, but my weight looked different on me. Not sure why this happened, but my trainer says it is typical.

fructose is fructose is fructose....
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    repost
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    I'm on Day 4 of going no sugar. Not for any reason other than I know I am addicted to it and I want to make sure I can stop! For me, eating one piece of candy (usually of the sour, gummi kind!) leads to devouring the whole bag. My addictions are pretzels and chewy candy. It's my belief that artificial sweeteners cause the same effect on me. Even if the candy or fudgsicle or whatever is sugar free...it just makes me want more a few hours later.

For two weeks I'm trying to break this sugar habit and I've cut out sugar altogether except from what is in vegetables. I'm avoided all processed, refined sugars as well as those naturally occurring in fruit, dairy, etc. The cravings have been awful but so far so good. After two weeks I'll try to slowly add in naturally occurring sugar from berries, yogurt, etc. and I'll do that for the next two weeks until I've hit 30 days. It's a huge challenge for me and I'm trying to take it one day at a time so that I am not tempted to "celebrate" after 30 days. By cutting out sugar it seems I've also cut out white flour. I never ate a lot of that in the first place (except for pretzels) so that has been easier.

I'd love to hear from anyone who is trying to do the same thing and to hear how it's going for you. Please feel free to friend me and check out my diary and offer advice or support!
  • wanderinglight
    Options
  • tigersword
    Options
    That article is horrible. Filled with so many fallacies and inaccuracies. For one thing "glycemic load" and "glycemic index" are two totally different concepts, yet the author used the terms interchangeably like they are the same thing. Not to mention the one small fact that sugar doesn't cause insulin resistance or diabetes. It's just one invented "fact" after another. Much more of a scare mongering article than an informative article.
  • mariamarchita
    mariamarchita Posts: 131
    Options
    Although I think cutting down on processed and added sugars is a very good idea, cutting them all out for ever seems like a quick path to failure to me.

I agree. I don't want to deprive myself completely of any foods. Never being allowed a piece of candy or birthday cake or cereal or white bread or a soda, damn, that would be a quick path to suicide for me! YMMV
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    That article is horrible. Filled with so many fallacies and inaccuracies. For one thing "glycemic load" and "glycemic index" are two totally different concepts, yet the author used the terms interchangeably like they are the same thing. Not to mention the one small fact that sugar doesn't cause insulin resistance or diabetes. It's just one invented "fact" after another. Much more of a scare mongering article than an informative article.
    I'm curious about what convinced you that this is true. Please provide a source so we can check it out :) Thanks!
  • tigersword
    Options
    Glycemic index vs glycemic load
    http://www.fitsugar.com/Glycemic-Index-vs-Glycemic-Load-3131117

Causes of Diabetes
    http://www.emedicinehealth.com/diabetes/page2_em.htm

Notice "eating sugar" is nowhere on the list.
  • lmataloni
    lmataloni Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree about the addictive quality of sugars...for me it was all refined carbs and years of overindulging. I've been lo-carb for 3 weeks and feel like a fog has been lifted. Lower sugar fruits, veggies, and whole grains when I absolutely need them. Weight is coming off well and blood sugars are normal for once. I just don't think refined sugar is anything my body needs and more than that, for me I cannot handle the carbs. You're young so start the good habits now! :smile:
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I absolutely do not believe in "diets" but due to food allergies I try to avoid any refined sugar.