Gross topic ahead, be aware.

Options
So before I started counting my calories and monitoring my food I used to go (#2) once or twice a day. Now it might be three or four days between poops. Is this normal or is it a problem?

Replies

• Sonnie124
    Sonnie124 Posts: 99
    Options
    I think that is a problem :(
    Sorry, but if you are eating fruits and veggies you should be going!
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I think that is a problem :(
    Sorry, but if you are eating fruits and veggies you should be going!

Agreed.

Time to get off the forum and get to a doc. Advice of strangers can't help in this one!
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    less food..means less to come out. Eat lots of fiber and get in lots of water. Miralax may help too..its not a laxative..just a softener. I take it a few times a week :)
  • jenirobinson
    Options
    I have to same problem...I thought it was just me till I talked to my trainer about it. She said it was completely normal and that I should look into a stool softner and drink more water. If that does not help, she gave me the name of an organic herb (that I can't remember the name of now) that would really make a difference. I have not seen a difference with the softner and think I might go to GNC to find what she was talking about. Let me know if you would like the name and I can pass it on to you.

Good Luck!
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    So before I started counting my calories and monitoring my food I used to go (#2) once or twice a day. Now it might be three or four days between poops. Is this normal or is it a problem?
    I had the same issue, I have a fiber one bar as a snack every other day, no more problems:) Just make sure you have your first one at home, then can cause a quick response, LOL
  • yayagirl2
    yayagirl2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    High protein diets sometimes cause this problem for me. Eat lots of veggies, fruits, grains and good healthy oils. Drink all your water too.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Due to the diet changes, you may not be getting enough fiber. You may want to consider a fiber supplement or adding in something like a bran cereal every couple of days to your diet. I eat one that is basically bran and a little brown sugar.
  • FightGirl83
    FightGirl83 Posts: 30
    Options
    Not normal. Intestinal health and overall health are one in the same. Talk to your doc, it is most likely just a change in diet. I take digestive enzymes to keep my gut in check, but again, talk to your doctor. Hopefully he or she can give your more specialized advice than strangers on the internet :) Good luck
  • tialeanne
    tialeanne Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Kat, I thought that maybe it was the less in less out too. But after 3 days you start wondering, "Hey poop, why haven't you called?"

Jeni, I would greatly appreciate the name of that herb, thanks!

Shauna, I'll try that! (Although I hate fiberone bars.)

Thanks everyone for the quick responses, I'm actually having an all fruit and veggie day today to try to stimulate the old system. We'll see how it goes.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I had the same happen to me, I started to eat less protein, I think I may have been taking in too much! Things seems to be getting better with the less protein
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Obviously check with your Doc to rule out anything medical, but it's just the change in diet.

If you are not having any other issues. Pain etc. Then it's just the way your system is adjusting.

PS: I so WISH I had that problem. :)
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    A teaspoon of olive oil on some food will do wonders as well.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    problem. up your water intake and eat more fruits and veggies. also, senokot makes a fiber laxitive that helps me.
  • MOS3
    MOS3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    This happened to me. I researched it and found I was not drinking rnough fluids, or healthy fats. So upped the water and took 20g flaxseed every day with my breakfast cereal. No more problems. Btw - google the health benefits of flaxseed, the benefits are numerous. Hope tihs helps.
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the chocolate and oats? They also make cereal that works well
  • kamazza
    kamazza Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Ok, same thing, sort of. Now I can go two days between and even then it's smaller and sometimes harder. The harder part of course probably because I have less water. I need to drink more and I know that. I kind of thought that maybe it was because I had less junk in my diet so there is just less to process over all? I don't know but it kind of makes sense. I haven't read any of the replies so sorry if this is a repeat idea. :)
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened for me and for me it is normal. I have been to the Dr. for something else, mentioned this and all is fine. I am not having any pain or any constipation. Just eating less, so less to come out!

Edit to add this I found from a Dr.

You would not believe how common this question is in medical practice. People really worry about this. The average person will have a bowel movement every 1-2 days; however, if this is not you, it’s not necessarily a cause for alarm.

As long as you are not having to strain in order to defecate (a sign that you are constipated) then don’t worry too much about keeping up the Joneses.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    a healthier diet should lead to better pooping. I would make sure that you are eating healthy and not just less food.
  • amyreafleng
    amyreafleng Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Old people always ask for prunes or prune juice..just suggestion...water and fiber (doesn't have to be fiber one many foods contain fiber). Hot tea cup of coffee a good long walk miralax colace senna I guess if none of these wake your sleeping bowels you got suppositorys enemas mag. Citrate all kind of goodies to make ya poop! I hope it all "works" out for ya!!
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Got the same problem, and digestive enzymes are the way to go. Do NOT take senna, because that'll damage you intestines in the long run.