Injured and losing motivation ... =(

Options
I was starting to do great until I went on vacation for my 30th birthday in Vegas (4/26th) and threw out my knee dancing (it's a funny story) but now that I am back home I feel as if I gave up on everything.

I can't move/bend my knee. I tore the cartilage right out from behind my right knee cap and has surgery scheduled for May 25th. The doctor said to expect up to a 6 month recovery period before getting back to the gym or anything.

I need some motivations, tips, something...the last thing i want to do is gain more weight that I need to lose.

PLeaseeeeeeee Help!!!!!!!

=(

Replies

• gracielee1
    gracielee1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    hi girlfriend,

my knee's been a royal mess too, so im seeing a chiro for a few months. i would recommend yoga, which can keep you in peak mental and physical condition without having to strain your knee and it'll ward off depression (which seems to happen to physically active people who are suddenly confined to the bed or immobility). take care of yourself and enjoy the resting because your body will be grateful to you.
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Keep to your diet.

Check your tv listings for arm chair exercises.
    And or google for exercises.

When they show weight lifting, used canned goods.

They're geared for older/disabled people.

☺ best of luck!
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    don't stop, don't give up, seeing tickers like yours keeps me going! i know there are a lot of exercises that you can do without the use of legs, my mom has lost almost 100 lbs in the last 2 years sitting in a wheelchair, lifting soup cans, 'pillow twists' where she takes a couch pillow and uses it like a medicine ball side to side, there's new equipment (new to her anyway) that's similar to a recumbent bike but she uses mostly her hands. there are lots of dvds for 'chair workouts', i've heard swimming is excellent once the doc okays the wet!
    mostly keep watching that diary, and think of this as a break from whatever hard core stuff you've been doing and how great things will move once you're back on your feet again!! love the ticker pic btw!
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear this! I hope you have a safe & speedy recovery.

In the meantime though, I would recommend sticking with a healthy eating plan and work on the upper body....pump those smaller weights while sitting on the couch watching tv & what not. Ask your doctor what kinds of things he would receommend for you to do until & after surgery.

Main thing to remember is follow doctor's orders & try not to let it get you down. Depression eating + required restraint on exercising = recipe for self-destruction. You will need your body & mind set to be as healthy as possible in order for you to heal to your greatest potential.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • amielizabeth1
    amielizabeth1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi- I started getting serious about fitness this January and was exercising every day- I hurt my knee badly one month later and have not been able to do cardio, Zumba (which I looooove!), running, or any type of high impact. But I did not want to give up because I had made good progress! I switched to swimming and weight lifting and that got me totally motivated. You CAN find things to do even with bad knees. Make sure if you're in a class that you modify the exercises so you put no pressure on the knee. It can be done! Consider it your chance to get familiar with different types of activities. I feel for you- I loved running and Zumba. Good luck and stay positive!
    :-)
  • Karen5732
    Karen5732 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have also injured my knee and have found that if you go on to U-Tube and look for chair exercise there are still lots of things that you can do...
    Hope your surgery goes well and try to keep focused...

Good luck
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    first off, I'm sorry to hear that. I know how devestating it can be. Right before Chrstmas I was in a terrible car accident, our car was left totalled and we were lucky to walk (be carried) away. Anyway, point is I was at home for nearly 4 months, recovering from the sprained foot and broken wrist. It sucked and I was in a terribly rotten mood in the beginning.

Being taken care of is not easy to do when your used to being the one taking care of everyone else. But, once I changed my mood and mind, I was able to realize I was lucky to be here and got back into eating better.

Once I could get back to the gym, I did that, too, but I didn't push it. Its mostly about eating anyway (70-80%), so get that straightened out now while you recover. I hope you get to feeling better really soon!!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Remember that weight loss is 80% diet, and only 20% exercise. I'd say focus on your diet now. I'm sure if you had a gym membership you've put it on hold because of your injury, but maybe you can do a rowing machine to get moving and not hurt with the knee? not sure though. And of course, upper body and core strength training!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I was starting to do great until I went on vacation for my 30th birthday in Vegas (4/26th) and threw out my knee dancing (it's a funny story) but now that I am back home I feel as if I gave up on everything.

I can't move/bend my knee. I tore the cartilage right out from behind my right knee cap and has surgery scheduled for May 25th. The doctor said to expect up to a 6 month recovery period before getting back to the gym or anything.

I need some motivations, tips, something...the last thing i want to do is gain more weight that I need to lose.

=(

I ripped my right lower biceps tendon straight off the bone in February. In the two plus months since, I've gained fat. The only answer is to just hit it harder once you're recovered. Continue to eat at a deficit to minimize or eliminate putting on weight. Do exercises with the other parts of your body (pullups, situps, etc). There's a LOT of workouts for people who have NO legs. You're not crippled...you're just incapacitated :).
  • caw001
    caw001 Posts: 3
    Options
    Just had surgery for a torn meniscus.... While it doesn't sound like that is as bad a surgery as what you had (after 3 weeks I am pretty recovered) with the exception of some muscular staleness however my trainer has done a great job of creating exercises I CAN do... She doesn't believe in CAN'T. I havent been able to do much that requires any impact (thank God no burpees for a while). Focus on Arms and Abs. That will keep muscle strength up and keep you burning calories. You can do both sitting in a chair or lying flat on your back.

My biggest issue is that I began to eat lazy... But keep at it, its hard to keep your mind out of a slump when your body is in one, but if you can beat it, you will be just fine. If you work out with others, continue to go even though you may not be able to do the same things. Its the social aspect too that will keep you going.
  • TaraKerns
    TaraKerns Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That would be great by I cannot be on my knee at all. Can't bend or anything that involves moving that knee
  • jamielee0704
    jamielee0704 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i injured my hand and was out of my scheduled workouts for awhile. I broke it running and falling... and even though my legs worked fine...it was such a pain, literally, because the blood would rush to my hand and throb, then showering with a cast? ugh no thank you...

anyways, when theres an injury, you rely completely upon your diet. if you can keep up with your upper body things, lifting light weights while you watch tv maybe? or get a stability ball, sit on it, and work your core? things like that that you can do that wont out any stress on your knee.

good luck to you! i hope you have a speedy recovery!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    That would be great by I cannot be on my knee at all. Can't bend or anything that involves moving that knee

I understand it's difficult, but if you want to do it, you will. There are a million exercises that don't involve your legs at all. Those weight machines at the gym that us freeweight guys trash talk all the time are AWESOME for exercising while still isolating your injured limb. I used them to get back into the gym early from my own injury. If you're in a brace, that just makes it easier.
  • TaraKerns
    Options
    Damn right im not hanidcap just gotten lazy I guess but you are right the handicaps can do so can i. Hopefully I can get over this crappy non motivated part soon and start doing something about it. Last thing I was to do is gain tons of weight to only lose the weight I just gained and be back where I started. I will look up situps and abs excerise I can do without moving this leg.

Thanks!!

=(

I ripped my right lower biceps tendon straight off the bone in February. In the two plus months since, I've gained fat. The only answer is to just hit it harder once you're recovered. Continue to eat at a deficit to minimize or eliminate putting on weight. Do exercises with the other parts of your body (pullups, situps, etc). There's a LOT of workouts for people who have NO legs. You're not crippled...you're just incapacitated :).
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    I hurt my MCL when I first started getting back in shape last year. I stopped running, and started doing low to no impact workouts. Lifting weights for my upper body, core exercise, and other things along that line. The other thing, I stuck to eating healthy!!! That's the most important thing. Good Luck and don't give up.
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448&feature=youtu.be

this will make you feel better/inspired :)
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TaraKerns
    Options
    You got that right. I am so eating and drinking all my comfort food that I swore to give up when I started working out. I did it once I know I can do it again..thanks =)

I'm so sorry to hear this! I hope you have a safe & speedy recovery.

In the meantime though, I would recommend sticking with a healthy eating plan and work on the upper body....pump those smaller weights while sitting on the couch watching tv & what not. Ask your doctor what kinds of things he would receommend for you to do until & after surgery.

Main thing to remember is follow doctor's orders & try not to let it get you down. Depression eating + required restraint on exercising = recipe for self-destruction. You will need your body & mind set to be as healthy as possible in order for you to heal to your greatest potential.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I see someone at the gym use the eliptical machine with using just one leg,the other rests on the back of the other's ankle. Maybe after you recover a bit? Also,don't discount walking. just keep moving after you can
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hi! Please join the Injury Support group and introduce yourself.

I started a healthier life while recovering from 2 back to back ankle sprains (I didn't go to the doctor after the first one, instead I went on vacation, and wore heels at my sisters wedding, although I was in horrific pain and really swollen). Then at the exact same time the next year, this past November, I horribly sprained it again and was in a cast for six weeks that was changed every 10 days (read: very very painful). My sister blew out her knee when we were kids at an NSYNC autograph signing (she got an autograph in the end at least), so I know how horrible of an injury it is.

Anyways, both times, I took it relatively easy and allowed my body to heal- this is key. I was all about diet, running a modest deficit and keeping busy more than fitness. After the cast was off, I used yoga to help restore my muscles, cardio health, and balance.

Feel free to add me if you want some support!