Hips & Thighs : Read if this is your trouble area..

Options
Hey ladies. I wanted to make this post for anyone who carries most of their weight in their hips and thighs.... hopefully some women will respond to this post and will give some tips/feedback on what has helped them to shed fat/inches off those trouble areas.

I seem to lose uptop first, my thighs/hips seem the LAST to go.

I know I'm not the only woman on this planet with this issue lol. Lets support one another and help each other out please?

What has helped you and how long did it take for you to see progress?

Replies

• Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i have lost the most inches in my thighs. i have pumped up my cardio to 3 days a week. i walk 3-4 days a week. i think whats helped me most is the squats and lunges. ( i hate lunges, they kill my knees).
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce -- this has been said on these forums over and over again. Your body will lose weight from wherever it wants. The best you can do is to eat a healthy diet and do some strengthening exercises to tone up that area of your body, and hope that lean muscle replaces fat. I am a strong pear shape and I like to bike ride. I find that it works all of my legs and up into my lower butt, and I feel less 'jiggly'!
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Ah, my thighs are always the last to go lol. Eventually when you don't have much fat to lose up top, your fat on your thighs WILL shed off.. at least from my experience. This is STILL my trouble spot area.. but what I can say is that HIIT/jog/walking along with eating healthy at a deficit - overall has helped.. we just have to be patient!

I am also trying to do more squats and lunges, for some reason.. my sisters thighs actually got bigger, not sure why.. but I heard alot of it has to do with genetics. She was eating really healthy/clean too.

Would love to see the other respones! :)
  • misswhitneyyy
    Options
    I also tend to hold fat around my inner thighs/abductor muscles like crazy. I find them to be awful, haha. I've been loading up on wide-stance squats to target them and hopefully they will become more shapely. You are definitely not alone!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    you can't spot reduce, BUT lunges, stationary bike, uphill treadmill, squats, weights - with clean eating and gobs of water all help tremendously.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I've found that lifting weights and building muscle especially in my upper body helps balance out the hips and thighs. Plus fat thighs with big muscles underneath the fat looks better than plain ol' fat thighs. I'm hoping as I lose a little more fat, some will come off my thighs. Eventually I'll need to find a balance where my upper body doesn't look too thin yet I'm somewhat happy with my thighs.
  • Cathleenr
    Cathleenr Posts: 332
    Options
    Ah, my thighs are always the last to go lol. Eventually when you don't have much fat to lose up top, your fat on your thighs WILL shed off.. at least from my experience. This is STILL my trouble spot area.. but what I can say is that HIIT/jog/walking along with eating healthy at a deficit - overall has helped.. we just have to be patient!

I am also trying to do more squats and lunges, for some reason.. my sisters thighs actually got bigger, not sure why.. but I heard alot of it has to do with genetics. She was eating really healthy/clean too.

Would love to see the other respones! :)

when you are doing lunges, if you place your weight on the ball of your foot and push off with that, your front quads will do the most work. by placing the weight in your heel on your forward leg, and NOT using your back leg to push off, you will work the hamstrings and glutes, which is primarily what lunges (and sqauts) accomplish, with proper form :).
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I've found that lifting weights and building muscle especially in my upper body helps balance out the hips and thighs. Plus fat thighs with big muscles underneath the fat looks better than plain ol' fat thighs. I'm hoping as I lose a little more fat, some will come off my thighs. Eventually I'll need to find a balance where my upper body doesn't look too thin yet I'm somewhat happy with my thighs.

This is exactly what I have found. I always thought of myself as a pear shaped person, but after building up my upper body, especially my shoulders I find that I'm more of an hourglass now. I didn't have a big behind, but my shoulders were too small before ;)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Thighs are the last to go for sure.

Once I dropped my body fat a few % my saddlebags went away and I got slimmer in the hips. I achieved this via heavy lifting and diet. Very little cardio.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I was able to lose fat in my thighs after 6 months of regular, serious cardio and fairly heavy lifting with a trainer. The fat had to come off everywhere else first though, then my thighs finally started to shrink. It's a sad reality we must accept- our bodies decide where the weight comes off first. I'm definitely a big advocate of lifting though and all you girls on here need to be doing plenty of squats and lunges (with weights!!) to tone your legs.