Ok so is this better?

Options
I posted a couple of minutes ago asking for advice on my food diary. I got some great advice and changed it up for next week. Could you look at tomorrow thru next wednseday and tell me if that looks better and healthier? I removed all sweets and replaced my dessert with a fruit smoothie made from fresh bananas, strawberries, lowfat yogurt, and orange juice. I also up the calories and replace the regular bagel with a whole grain one. (FYI I also use whole grain bread for my sandwhich)

Replies

• April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that maybe you should switch out the bagel for an english muffin. Maybe switch out the russet potato for a sweet potato. I think you should be eating snacks in betwenn your meals. Have you tried adding a protein shake into it?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I noticed on your turkey sandwhich that it is 110 cals, and 15g carbs?? What type of break are you using? Usually bread has 60 to 110 cals per slice with 15 grams carbs with nothing in or on it???
  • leighoconnell
    Options
    My opinion is that maybe you should switch out the bagel for an english muffin. Maybe switch out the russet potato for a sweet potato. I think you should be eating snacks in betwenn your meals. Have you tried adding a protein shake into it?

I'm not a big fan of english muffins but maybe replacing it with a bowl of cheerios or mini-wheats? I eat the carrots and celery as snacks through out the day. Haven't tried a protien shake, I think I'm afraid too cause it'd put weight on me. My fiance drinks those to bulk up. I'm not big on sweet potato but I don't know anyother alternative.
  • April0815
    Options
    You can try brown rice or jasmine rice. Maybe a side salad. Ive also noticed on one of your days you are going to have ham that is very high in sodium. Would you like an example of one of my days?
  • leighoconnell
    Options
    I noticed on your turkey sandwhich that it is 110 cals, and 15g carbs?? What type of break are you using? Usually bread has 60 to 110 cals per slice with 15 grams carbs with nothing in or on it???

I just realized I had it set to half a sandwich, its actually 220.
  • leighoconnell
    Options
    You can try brown rice or jasmine rice. Maybe a side salad. Ive also noticed on one of your days you are going to have ham that is very high in sodium. Would you like an example of one of my days?

Yes please. I'm having the hardest time trying to create a good meal plan, but at the same one that fits my family. The ham was a concession to my father.
  • leighoconnell
    Options
    I am definately going to switch to brown rice though.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,956 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Do some research on protein shakes. Used as a meal replacement, especially for breakfast, they can give you the nutrition and energy you need . Right now your breakfast looks like it could use some protein.

You are so smart to ask for help. It took me a long time to make the changes to the healthy way I eat now. I took baby steps and learned a lot and it has made a huge difference. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • April0815
    Options
    protein shake in am
    breakfast- kashi go lean cereal w/2% milk

snack- apple
    100 calorie pack natural almonds

lunch- boneless, skinless chicken breast
    steamed zucchinni
    brown rice

snack- greek yogurt

dinner- boneless, skinless chicken breast
    steamed vegetables
    sweet potato

* Every now and then I will eat a ice cream sandwich if I want something sweet and have the calories

Protein shake 1hr before bedtime.

Also the 3 days that I strength train with my trainer I drink a protein shake after the workout.
  • leighoconnell
    Options
    protein shake in am
    breakfast- kashi go lean cereal w/2% milk

snack- apple
    100 calorie pack natural almonds

lunch- boneless, skinless chicken breast
    steamed zucchinni
    brown rice

snack- greek yogurt

dinner- boneless, skinless chicken breast
    steamed vegetables
    sweet potato

* Every now and then I will eat a ice cream sandwich if I want something sweet and have the calories

Protein shake 1hr before bedtime.

Also the 3 days that I strength train with my trainer I drink a protein shake after the workout.

what would you suggest for a yummy protien shake? any special type?
  • April0815
    Options
    I get the gold standard 100% whey. It only has 1gm in sugar, 120 calories, and 24gm of protein. I get the vanilla ice cream and double chocolate. They don't have anything bad in them. You have to watch the other flavors because some of them have things in it that my trainer will not let me have. I want to let you know that if I have eggs and 1/2 of english muffin for breakfast I don't do the protein shake. I get enough protein from the eggs. I always do it after workout and 45min-1hr before bedtime.
  • angiered
    angiered Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'll put a vote in for the cheerios! I eat Multi-Grain cheerios at breakfast sometimes...either in milk/w sliced banana or dumped into a bowl with a cup of yogurt and a sliced banana mixed in. Yummy!
  • cheshirekat
    cheshirekat Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I love to add vegetables to my pasta sauce when I make pasta for added nutrients, steam some broccoli and throw that in there, very good, as well as red pepper and mushrooms or whatever, vegetables have very little calories and are nutrient dense as well as filling so I eat less pasta.

Oooh and I have to tell you my favorite breakfast I eat it like everyday, a tablespoon of natural peanut butter on a slice of 100% whole wheat bread with banana slices on it, about 1/4 of a banana, it tastes so yummy! but you can easily do this to half a whole wheat bagel, it adds protein which keeps you full longer.

mm that kashi go lean crunch cereal is good too, i like to eat it with vanilla soy or almond milk. Oatmeal with raspberries, cinnamon, and a bit of honey is good too.
  • sabbles
    Options
    i love multi-grain cheerios with a cut up banana (about 1/4) and skim milk. you can have 1 slice wheat toast with one egg, or a lenders size wheat or multi-grain bagel with light laughing cow cheese.

for lunches, if i pack a sandwich, i use a spicy mustard or mustard/mayo combo to cut down on calories. plus, the more veggies -- cucumbers, tomatos, etc. -- the more filling. i only use thin sliced turkey, and use 1/2 of a piece of cheese. I always pack one piece of fruit as an accompaniment.

for dinners, i make whatever i would have made if i was not watching my calories (within reason), i just eat less. homemade soups (not cream based) are good. bean burritos (black beans or fat free refried) with fat free sour cream, lettuce, tomato, avocado slices, and a sprinkling of cheese. grilled meats with salad or homemade coleslaw. i even had i square of cornbread last night because i paired it with 1.5 grilled pork chops, and 1.5 cups slaw.

my key is variety. if i felt restricted or ate the same everyday, i would not be able to do this.
  • AJneuro
    Options

I just realized I had it set to half a sandwich, its actually 220.

Sara Lee 45 and Delightful has 45 cals and 9g carbs per slice!