Bonus calories are killing me HeLp!

Options
GmanKG
GmanKG Posts: 18 Member
:smile:
I began this journey after my wife had so much success I’ve lived all of my adult life as a Army sergeant & fitness trainer until
I hit a log on the hwy in South Korea at 70 mph in the late 90's. I’ve had server LBP and live in pain 24/7 everyday. I've gone from 238 lbs to 198 lbs as of today "smiling" , I still manage to stay fit but not anywhere near where I use to be, I’m also in the fabulous 50+ YO club but won’t join peacefully.

My question is I’m in the gym 5 X’s a week and gain too much bonus calories from Cardio/weight trng but cannot eat 700+ calories of food to be within range because by that time it’s too late in the evening.

Replies

• LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean.. I work out like a maniac on my workout days, and have trouble getting it all in by bedtime. This is what I have to do: I log everything for the day as best I can (Most days I know what I'll be doing and what food's available to me) and log the exercise too (all of this first thing in the morning). That way, I can eat it through the day around the workouts and not have to be cramming calories in at bedtime just to satisfy the number. My workouts are awesome when I do it this way too, because I've optimally fueled up for them. Most days I run first thing in the morning, then eat through the day then hit the gym in the evening for Bootcamp or TRX classes.. which let out around 7:30 pm. I go to bed at 8 pm (early riser), so you can see the rub I'm up against. This way I'm plenty fueled for the workouts and I get what I need in before I go to bed.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    because by that time it’s too late in the evening.

Thanks for your service.

Can you elaborate on the above comment? Is there a reason you can't eat late at night?
  • kellaney
    kellaney Posts: 5
    Options
    You don't have to hit the bonus calories, you just need to stay above the minimum. Also, if you know you're going to workout in the evening, try entering that morning the "bare minimum" of what workout you think you might do later, so that you have an idea of the total amount of calories you'll be alloted for the day, then go back and edit the exercise after you're done so that you have an accurate #.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I work out late in the day as well. I use a calorie rich protein shake right after workingout to ease the extra calories.

Chocolate protein powder - 120cal
    Almond Milk chocolate flavor - 120 cal
    Banana - 105 cal
    Almond extract - 0 cal

That's 345 calories. If you need more just add two scoops of powder instead. Then just add some extra calories to dinner.
  • GmanKG
    Options
    It's just based on everything I've read on not eating late on or nearbed time because your body metabolize food slower thru sleep then when your up and about.
  • GmanKG
    Options
    That's a great idea! I never gave drinks to much consideration I'm to much of a hawk checking FDA -vs- just all those false clams so many fitness drinks do but I'll give it try thank you :) I'm glad I made the post....
  • GmanKG
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    It's just based on everything I've read on not eating late on or nearbed time because your body metabolize food slower thru sleep then when your up and about.

That's been challenged. Google the issue and you'll see that the consensus is moving to the position that it doesn't matter when you eat during the day so long as you are not exceeding your calorie limit. I also would be aware that most calories burned estimates are inflated. You probably don't want to eat back all those reported exercise calories.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    What you have read is entirely false, specifically the above.
  • julieh1973
    julieh1973 Posts: 128 Member
    Options

My physician keeps stating that I need to eat what am eating for lunch for dinner and have my dinner calories at lunch-because he says I am eating too many dinner calories before bed. I usually eat dinner around 6:30 (about 4 hrs. before bedtime and I do an evening workout before bedtime). I didn't loose at my last weigh-in (nor gain) and I felt like he was out of line for chastising me. He also stated that I need to start walking 2 miles a day which was almost amusing considering I typically walk about 4 miles a day. (He has never took my measurements)
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Posting from my phone, but when I get home I will elaborate on my previous comment as well as your physicians commentary.

My physician keeps stating that I need to eat what am eating for lunch for dinner and have my dinner calories at lunch-because he says I am eating too many dinner calories before bed. I usually eat dinner around 6:30 (about 4 hrs. before bedtime and I do an evening workout before bedtime). I didn't loose at my last weigh-in (nor gain) and I felt like he was out of line for chastising me. He also stated that I need to start walking 2 miles a day which was almost amusing considering I typically walk about 4 miles a day. (He has never took my measurements)
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    My physician keeps stating that I need to eat what am eating for lunch for dinner and have my dinner calories at lunch-because he says I am eating too many dinner calories before bed.

Now that I'm home and not posting from my phone, let me clarify and better explain myself. This is also directed at the OP since he has some concerns regarding late eating.

First of all, the notion of trying to "burn off what you eat" in the short term, is silly and useless. You can't just look at what happens in a snapshot and apply that over the course of weeks or months and assume consequences based on it.

In this particular case, lets just assume, for purposes of discussion, that every calorie you eat right before bed goes into fat storage. This is absurd but allow me to make a point using a very extreme example.

Now lets assume that you always eat all of your calories right before bed. Lets say you eat 2000 calories and lets say that you burn 2000 calories (so in short, you eat at maintenance). Follow me so far?

So, you eat 2000 calories right before bed and OH NO! IT ALL GOES TO FAT! (Again, we're in make-believe land per my example. This doesn't really happen but we are assuming a worst-case-scenario).

You wake up the next day, 2000 calories fatter, and guess what you do? You don't eat, because you only eat before bed. You burn 2000 calories during the day (by definition, see above) and guess what? You just burned off what you stored at night during your sleep. (You created a 2000 calorie deficit without eating anything during that time).

So even IF you somehow magically slowed down your metabolism at night and that caused the insulin fairy to show up and give you teh fat storez, it wouldn't make any damn difference at all because you're just going to burn that off the following day.

Acute fat storage and fat oxidation are relatively meaningless. Big picture is critical.

If you are eating at a calorie deficit, fat oxidation will exceed fat storage OVER THE COURSE OF TIME. It does not matter if you store fat after that big bowl of cereal and it doesn't matter if you ate that steak right before bed. When you zoom out and look at the balance of processes that occur over the course of a longer period of time, your net energy balance is going to drive things, not when you ate that piece of toast or whether or not you burned carbs or fat during your elliptical bout.

Now for the nitty gritty:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9040548
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17909674
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3508745
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html (Note myth 10 but read all of them as it's good stuff).

Lastly, you should ask your physician to clarify. Based on what you've posted I can only conclude that you should stop taking nutritional advice from him, but it's possible that he intended something else.
  • orbarbie
    orbarbie Posts: 1
    Options

Going to have to agree with sidesteal, a calorie doesn't know what time it is.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    The only effect I personally experience from eating too close to bedtime is that my stomach feels fuller and I find it more difficult to relax into a good night's sleep.

To address the OP's original dilemma - I plan my day as best I can and pre-log it. Not only does it help keep me accountable to myself, but it also allows me to plan to spread my calories over the day. I get most of my exercise in the morning in the form of a walk or a long bike ride but also exercise in the evenings a couple of times a week with swimming and dancing.

Best wishes
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I agree with Sidesteal. The only reason you wouldn't want to eat late at night is if you are prone to heart burn from lying down after eating a lot.

But it does make sense to just move those cals around. If you know that you are going to work out just figure them into your day and eat them earlier. If for some reason you periodically don't get a chance to work out it isn't the end of the world.

Thank you for your service.
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My question is I’m in the gym 5 X’s a week and gain too much bonus calories from Cardio/weight trng but cannot eat 700+ calories of food to be within range because by that time it’s too late in the evening.

I have the same problem. It's not because I think it's bad for you to eat late at night, but because I just can't sleep well if I eat a hearty meal before going to bed. I've been making changes every day to try to up my calories earlier in the day to be able to better balance the whole "eating late" dilemma. It's a work in progress in my case, but I'd suggest starting with upping your calorie intake earlier in the day and you can adapt based on what works for you.
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm telling you it does'nt matter when you eat your calories. It only makes sense that if you workout during the day and you stay under calorie goal, it won't hurt you. I eat up until sometimes an hour before I go to bed. Nothing heavy, just fruit and cottage cheese and a kashi bar, maybe a sugar free pudding cup and I've been fine for two years since I started loosing weight.:happy:
  • foxbat2828
    foxbat2828 Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Don't worry too much about the "eating after a certain time" issue. A lot of that mythology has been challenged recently and so it shouldn't worry you too much.

It's a good idea to make sure that you are at least consuming your BMR. Nonetheless, I understand that sometimes, especially if you are like me where where you won't eat the extra calories until you've actually done the workout, the late workouts that you do leave you with an accumulation of calories right before bedtime.

A couple of things that I've discovered that use the calories without a lot of eating are things like nuts, especially almonds, and fiber cereals like some of the Fiber One cereals, GrapeNuts, and Kashi or oatmeals. Almonds will typically use up about 160-170 calories for an ounce, but have good protein and lots of the "good fat" ... mono- and polyunsaturates. They also now come in flavors like butter toffee and mint chocolate, so you can eat them as a dessert treat or as a savory snack if you eat the more traditional smoked almonds or the chili almonds. A double serving of almonds will consume about 320 of your calories, 10 grams of protein, and about 6 grams of fiber. I also find that a double-serving of oatmeal right before bed takes up 300 calories, but more importantly has about 8 grams of protein and 6 grams of fiber. It calms me down and helps me start getting in that "sleepy mode" ... really great right before bed in the winter.
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I work out late in the day as well. I use a calorie rich protein shake right after workingout to ease the extra calories.

Chocolate protein powder - 120cal
    Almond Milk chocolate flavor - 120 cal
    Banana - 105 cal
    Almond extract - 0 cal

That's 345 calories. If you need more just add two scoops of powder instead. Then just add some extra calories to dinner.

I do this as well (my preference is Shaklee's Cinch shake with 1% milk, sometimes I just do 2c instead of 1c). It also has the added benefit of helping your muscles after an intense workout.

What I do is plan things out the night before, so I can spread those exercise calories over the day. It's easy to go back in at the end of the day and edit exercise and meals, but planning things out helps me be mindful of what I'm eating. I have to say, too, that knowing what and when I'm eating next helps me get through random junk-food cravings.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    You probably have a good idea of how many calories your workouts burn by now. You can just plan your meals earlier in the day to be larger by some average workout estimate, and it'll balance out in the long run. If you happen to be a little over one day and a little under the next, it's no big deal.