Applebutter anyone?

Options
MNewark08
MNewark08 Posts: 15 Member
Since I have start MFP, and counting calories like something I have never done before, I am looking at everything I eat. I see what is in it now. I got out my 110 calorie bagels, and threw them in the toaster. I went to grab the peanut butter, I couldn't believe how many calories are in peanutbutter! I mean really? So, I since I can't eat peanut butter anymore ( I sure will miss those PB & J's) I have discovered a new found love for Apple Butter. So I was wondering what everyones thoughts were? It's low in everything! and soooooo yummy!!

Replies

• Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    peanut butter is an amazing food. it's high in protein. and it's not horrible for you in small amounts. i love peanut butter. apple butter is good too but i guess i'm still just a sucker for peanut butter
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I :heart: anything with butter after it. :flowerforyou:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I like apple butter on my pancakes. I put that on instead of butter and syrup.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Depending on the type you get, it can still be quite high in calories.

I have a thing for almond butter. Yay for protein!
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I've never tried apple butter! Sounds like I'm missing out on something tasty and low cal! I'll have to give it a go! Thanks! :)
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I've gotten fig butter and mango butter at trader joes, it's different from jelly in that it takes less sugar but it essentially serves the same purpose. Then you put the fig butter with some cream cheese on a sandwich, oh my gods...

But I still use peanut butter too, in pretty much every sandwich! I eat em every damn day.

Another thing to do is, mix peanut butter with soft tofu, that way you keep the creamy nuttiness and protien but lose some fat.
  • octopusgarden
    Options
    I just recently discovered apple butter myself and I absolutely LOVE it! I get the honey apple butter from Trader Joe's and it's delicious :)
  • DarkNebula84
    DarkNebula84 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is very good for you if you get the right kind. Skinnytaste.com has a great recipe for slow cooker apple butter :) I am making it tonight.
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You can make your own applebutter & and it can be very cost effective too. Yoder's puts out a good one as well. My favorite thing to put applebutter on is pancakes & crepes.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    It is really good in cottage cheese with a little cinnamon. I think that might be an ethnic thing from PA Dutch country (where I'm from) but it's worth trying!
  • pattybond1234
    pattybond1234 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am a huge peanut butter fan as well!! I must say that I will just never give it up. I eat it in small amounts (like 1 tsp in my plain oatmeal for breakfast every morning). Apple butter is just okay for me; but, peanut butter is pure heaven and, if I gave it up, I would feel deprived. I would much rather give up other unhealthier, calorie-dense foods and keep my protein packed PB! I have also found an all organic chocolate peanut butter that I eat as a treat, in moderation, in small amounts.
  • Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Don't cut Peanut Butter out of your diet because of the calories!!

It contains Protein and good fats (as long as you get the natural kind)

Only use 1 Tbsp at a time.

I use it in my smoothies, yogurt, with apples and on toast when i fancy it.

I'm gonna stand by the Peanut Butter - I think it's FABULOUS!!! :flowerforyou:
  • hastenbeck
    hastenbeck Posts: 35
    Options
    applebutter??? what is it?? is it actually butter??
  • ggray44
    ggray44 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just bought some the other day. I enjoy a nice fuji apple with some peanut butter in the evening, but like you said, the pb is really high in calories. The apple butter just didn't work for me. I'll probably use it for other things, but I'm sticking with the regular pb for my apples. I noticed a comment about almond butter. going to have to look into that also.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Apple butter tastes like apple pie to me. I used the recipe for the crockpot. Cooked it all night and my house smelled great in the morning. Good on pancakes , toast , I even would put a little bit in my no sugar added applesauce.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Don't cut Peanut Butter out of your diet because of the calories!!

It contains Protein and good fats (as long as you get the natural kind)

Only use 1 Tbsp at a time.

I use it in my smoothies, yogurt, with apples and on toast when i fancy it.

I'm gonna stand by the Peanut Butter - I think it's FABULOUS!!! :flowerforyou:

You forgot the best way...insert spoon in jar, scoop out a Tbsp full, eat until the spoon is clean! :laugh:
  • jacquagirl
    jacquagirl Posts: 5
    Options
    Peanut Butter is delicious and wonderful but yes, high in calories. I recently discovered something called PB2, which is powdered peanut butter, they remove the fat, you mix it with water and I have to say, it's pretty freaking awesome. Not the same as peanut butter -- but it has maybe 20% of the calories, and very very tasty.
  • MNewark08
    MNewark08 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    wow a LOT of feedback! Thanks everyone! Yes I was just on the phone with a good friend of mine. We are supporting eachother. She told me about the natural PB and how it's lower in calories. When I go back to the store I will look for it! I love my PB too! But I have a new found love for Apple Butter.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I have always hated apples. Then magically one day (fairly recently) I craved an apple and have been hooked since. I'll have to try this.
  • djkamin60
    djkamin60 Posts: 88
    Options
    Great stuff. I put applebutter in plain nonfat yogurt, use it for sandwiches, pancakes,waffles etc.