whey protien during weight loss

Options
I have a long ways to go before I am even close to goal weight...I have started some strength training with cardio and was wondering if drinking protien shakes on strength days will help with muscle growth or just cause weight gain...

Replies

• onyxaj
    onyxaj Posts: 17
    Options
    Drink the protien shake within 1 hour of your strength workout will help rebuild the muscle and it will grow back stronger, You may see slight weight gain, but it will be muscle, not fat. Drink the shake ONLY after strength workouts, and mix cardio days in (or do both in a day like I do), and you will see a tranformation in body composition if not a difference in weight. It may take a month to see the changes, but they will come.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I LOVE WHEY PROTEIN. it is awesome and the only way I can hit my necessary amount of protein for the day. you won't gain muscle unless you are eating more than you are burning, which won't happen. protein will just help with muscle recovery/repair which will aid in muscle maintenance and strength building.

whey protein does NOT = hulk.
  • amyreafleng
    amyreafleng Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

If your consumption of protein is insufficient then the inclusion of whey protein will help. If your diet is already protein sufficient then it's not going to do much of anything other than add calories (and taste good).
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Think of protein powder as if it were powdered chicken breast.
  • megg0616
    megg0616 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Whey protien has really helped me in my weight loss. I will have a shake at night before bed if I am why under my cap goal for the day. I even drink one on non weight days. It has been a huge part in why I have lost weight.
  • amyreafleng
    Options
    What is an adequate amount of protien? MFP have my goal at 45...I am not hardcore weights but have started 20 minute better body workout on my bowflex 3 days a week....most exercise is at 40 pounds of resistance..
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    What is an adequate amount of protien? MFP have my goal at 45...I am not hardcore weights but have started 20 minute better body workout on my bowflex 3 days a week....most exercise is at 40 pounds of resistance..

Consider that resistance training will somewhat increase your protein needs.

I would refer you to this thread for additional information.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981
  • amyreafleng
    Options
    Thank you again! That site has a lot of helpful information and sparks my desire to learn/do more.