Thoughts about burning calories by cleaning?

Options

Replies

• april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    on a side note: what one person does or does not log does not affect you personally towards your lifestyle goals and you should not be bothered by it enough to linger in your mind or make you feel like your workouts dont matter.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Not sure why you are even bringing this up, or what it has to do with stay at home Moms.

Wear a HRM and you will find out for yourself the caloric value of house cleaning if you are so concerned about what other people are doing.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I don't log it unless I am really going at it for more than 30min. Even then I log half teh tiem I actaully spend cleaning and I mare it as light to moderate...never vigerous. If I'm on my hand and knees scrubbin teh tub or floor I get sweaty..that is a work out.

On a similar not I log my gradening the similarly. If I am pulling weed I mark at half the time I actaully spent working. If I am lugging bags for dirt and mulch around I log at leat 3/4 of the time.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Shayztar/view/house-work-or-sometimes-the-people-on-the-community-boards-upset-me-223764

I'm taking a rare rest day today because cleaning the whole house yesterday was the straw that broke THIS camel's back.

14839892.png
  • dragonsheart84
    Options
    Who cares. it is their weight-loss journey not yours. If you feel that you are not doing enough because of this, then by all mean do more. That does not mean you have the right to dog someone because they are doing the best that they can do in their life. Downing someone because they do count the hours upon hours that it takes to be a stay at home mom and keep the house clean after kids destroy the room after you JUST pick it up, just makes them quit. Been there done that. It is negative ninnys that bring a lot of people down for their efforts. This makes a lot of people quit. If you are so worried that someone else is going to beat you in your weight loss goals by doing something else than you, you need to re-evaluate your priorities.
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Good topic.

I use a HRM ( my polar) and YES, it does burn calories, so does gardening, yard work. MFP WAY over-estimates the calories burned. I really try not to comment anymore when I see someone say they burned 3000 calories walking a mile or cleaning, LOL

I however am at the gym 5 days a week. The problem is that if you were already cleaning and gardening before staring to work out or diet, wouldn't that NOT be an increase?
  • kjbbdoll
    kjbbdoll Posts: 86
    Options
    I clean houses for a living and use a fitbit. You absolutely burn a TON of calories if you are vacuuming, mopping and scrubbing vigerously. I actually had no idea that I was burning so many calories a day.
  • tabbycat27
    tabbycat27 Posts: 9
    Options
    Good topic.

I use a HRM ( my polar) and YES, it does burn calories, so does gardening, yard work. MFP WAY over-estimates the calories burned. I really try not to comment anymore when I see someone say they burned 3000 calories walking a mile or cleaning, LOL

I however am at the gym 5 days a week. The problem is that if you were already cleaning and gardening before staring to work out or diet, wouldn't that NOT be an increase?

Thanks for not making me hate myself. It really means a lot.

I DO actually see people log thousands of calories a day of cleaning.

I am more confused than anything else, and naturally I compare it to what I do.

I'm sorry.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    To me, "cleaning" is (or should be) part of one's normal day. By adding these calories into an exceptional category, it is likely that they are hurting their progress... I only add exceptional exercise such as cardio at the gym... I don't even log weight training as "exercise" ... Just the cardio. It is all about the results.

No, I'm not hurting my progress, but thanks for the assumption. :flowerforyou:

i certainly meant no offense and certainly did not mean to belittle any form of exercise... and housework IS exercise. However, if we log things we do on a regular basis AND incorporate it into our regular routine (activity level in our profile)... then we are doubling up on the same activity.. and THAT could short circuit our progress. Again, I know how much work housework can be and it does use up energy.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I often wonder how people log all the energy they waste sitting in judgment over what other people log as exercise. Getting on a high horse has got to burn quite a bit.

LOL, I love this response!
  • Alanakrahenbil
    Alanakrahenbil Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I don't add cleaning but I don't judge those who do. They might have never cleaned before, they have to start somewhere.
  • cristina_marie
    Options
    If its just straightening up, that's one thing. But for me, I definitely CLEAN my house. Pushing a heavy vacuum through each room, SCRUBBING the tub, toilet bowl, constantly bending up and down putting things up, dusting (not just the lamp, I'm talking every surface and corner) , cleaning the oven, sweeping, mopping, Kitchen counter tops. Also, I move fast. I don't know about anyone else, but I sure do break a sweat! I think it's fine counting calories burned while cleaning, but it's important to really pay attention to the time you are physically moving. It also helps because the more aware I am of every little calorie burn the more inspired I am to continue and burn more!
  • KLD81230
    KLD81230 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that MFP consistently and drastically overestimates calorie burn. I never count activities as "exercise" unless they are actually exercise. I consider everything else...well....life.....

Note, I'm sure you burn plenty of calories stripping your floor varnish or re-grouting your tub...I just personally don't consider it "exercise".

^^^ THIS
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that data, Zombie Slayer. Fascinating!
  • loves_jc
    loves_jc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I burn way more calories then MFP says I do, according to HRM. So when I in put something like garding or housecleaning it is something different then I usually do not just getting up after dinner to clean the kitchen, or throw a load of wash in. But I feel my little jog means more to me then it ever will to anyone else. That may be true for those doing the cleaning thing. It may not only be what they get it may mean it is their special time also.
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I dont log it. I dont understand eating more just because you cleaned your bathroom :laugh:
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    I'm with the peeps who have said I don't log normal stuff. The other day, I spent two hours moving furniture (sectional sleeper sofa, recliners, tables, etc), vacuuming, running up and downstairs doing seasonal change-over laundry, and I logged 30 minutes of light cleaning. I figured it took me so much time it made working out necessarily shorter, and also I had done a LOT of running around to log only 170 calories or whatever. I just try to keep it real and realistic. I don't want to delude myself into thinking I've burned more than I have, but all that effort should also be work something!
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay-at-home-mom and make time to work out. There are ways to make time for working-out.

With that said, I don't log cleaning. Unless I do yard-work cleaning or something that makes me sweat, I feel that whoever cleans the house does it often enough that it's not really aw orkout. As for me, I keep up with cleaning enough that when it's time to clean-clean, that even isn't a big deal.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I only log a marathon cleaning or like the other day I scrubbed the floors on my hands and knees for alittle over an hour I logged that...