Lifting Question (yes another one)

Options
I KNOW I KNOW it is asked over and over again. And believe me I have searched and read it all. So I will apologize in advance, but I'm still confused.

I started NROLFW and I'm so confused at how much I should be eating. Currently I weigh 117 and 5'2''. I still have some fat in the belly area to loose so I'm not sure where I should eat.

When I calculate my numbers using the equation in the book it says:
Non-workout days - 1881 calories
Workout days - 2117 calories

Then if you substrate 300 calories if you still want to loose weight it is:
Non-workout days - 1581 calories
Workout days - 1817 calories

However MFP has my maintenance number at 1600 calories, then to loose 1/2 pound a week 1360 calories and 1 pound a week at 1200 calories.

Also I see the difference between non-workout days and workout days according to the NROLFW book is 236 calories. So that is what I use as my calorie burn when I left (that plus the 10 minutes I spend on the treadmill for warmup, so 249 calories).

I have been eating between 1360-1500 (then eating back exercise calories). Should I be eating more or less? I would like to still loose the fat I have on me, but I'm unsure of where I should be eating at. With eating this way I have only lost 1/2 pound in almost 3 weeks and only 0.25 inches off my waist at the belly button.

I really don't care about the number on the scale as long as I loose inches. However, I'm not sure where is the best place to set my calories to achieve the goal I'm looking for.

Also while I'm asking questions, if I did a DVD (like Jillian Micheal Ripped in 30) on my off days of lifting, would that interfere with my lifting progress?

Again thank you for your help. And sorry to ask another lifting question.

Replies

• Tennybird
    Tennybird Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Anybody?
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Same boat here. When you get an answer let me know LOL
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'd go with what you calculated from the book. When you lift, you definitely want to eat more. Even though you still want to lose fat, the muscle you gain from lifting will help your metabolism. I wouldn't go much lower than 17-1800. I hope that helps!

Also, make all those calories as clean as possible. Eliminate sugars & processed foods as best you can. Make sure your protein intake is pretty high (for you probably 120g or so). Lots of healthy fats.

Good luck!
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Are you watching the amount of fat and protein intake also?
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    IN answer to your Jililan Michaels DVD question... I'm not exactly sure what that all involves, but I'm guessing one day of it won't interfere. But, in general, cardio WILL interfere with strength gains in the long run. You DO need to give your muscles some time to recover, so don't lift 2-3 days in a row then go straight to cardio and never rest.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Try the NROLFW targets minus 300. Don't eat back any exercise calories because these targets already account for the fact that you will be lifting and doing interval training 2-3 days per week. See how that goes and adjust as necessary. If you are gaining or not losing, reduce by another couple of hundred calories. Play with it and see what works for you. Give their recommendations a few weeks. If you are trying that plan, no point trying it half-heartedly.
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Also, make all those calories as clean as possible. Eliminate sugars & processed foods as best you can.

This helps a lot!!! Well it did for me.
  • Karalopolous
    Karalopolous Posts: 574
    Options
    You can tell MFP's numbers to stuff it!!!

I also read that very book!
    If you calculated your TDEE correctly (which Im not saying you didn't) then use those. Also, you can double check it with an online one:http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

I'm not perfect, but this is what I am doing. Make sure you are getting enough protein too!!
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend following the books advice. They know what they're talking about and have reasons why they recommend such a high intake. I know its a shock and really hard to get your head around eating that much, especially when you're trying to lose weight but, go with it for a while. You can always drop your cals back down if you find you don't need as much
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    MFP's numbers are pretty low for most people.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Read this blog, it has links to figure it out...MFP uses generalized numbers...every one IS different!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/lillebanon/view/my-take-on-eating-more-to-weigh-less-254554
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Agreed When I calculated mine it was way higher than MFP

Don't let it scare you....and don't freak if you gain a bit...its normal...Measure measure measure
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I am also doing NROL and I have manually set my numbers in MFP, rather than using what MFP has stated. I set my number to the non-workout day amount (I did also keep a small deficit of 200 calories). I have found that on the days I workout, the workout automatically adds back enough to get me to the workout day calculation (minus 200).

Please also note that you will likely not lose much actual weight, at least not much and certainly not quickly. But I have found that I'm losing inches and I can feel the change in my body. I also find that if my deficit goes over 300 a day, I stall. Your body really does need the calories to maintain your workouts. I would also highly recommend sticking with the protein amounts. I'm struggling a bit with the carb levels, but I'm trying. :)

Best of luck to you, I just started Phase 3 yesterday (bit sore today).
  • Tennybird
    Tennybird Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU so much!!! With so much information out there it is hard to figure what advise to follow and what is non-sense.

I have been doing well with hitting my protein levels, but I have it set at 83 gram, but I go over most days. I need to look better at the other levels too. So much to take into account it gets overwhelming at times.
  • Karalopolous
    Karalopolous Posts: 574
    Options
    Also, PLEASE, please do yourself a favor and TAKE PICTURES of yourself! You WILL be amazed!!! I promise!! Eat clean and exercise, and it's gonna show!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Then if you substrate 300 calories if you still want to loose weight it is:
    Non-workout days - 1581 calories
    Workout days - 1817 calories

I'd start with this. And I would get rid of JM - you don't need it. Do the cardio prescribed in the program.
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Bump---getting ready to start lifting. I am curious about calorie intake too:smile: .
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU so much!!! With so much information out there it is hard to figure what advise to follow and what is non-sense.

I have been doing well with hitting my protein levels, but I have it set at 83 gram, but I go over most days. I need to look better at the other levels too. So much to take into account it gets overwhelming at times.

You might want to increase your protein just a bit. I would recommend 30% protein, 30% fat, and 40% carb. Based on the calculations you have, you should be hitting about 119 grams on non-workout days and about 136 on workout days. If you set the percentages manually in MFP it will work it out for you. If you know your bodyfat % you could also go with 1 g for each lb of lean muscle. Keeping my protein up has really helped me. Use whey to supplement if you need to, has helped me reach goals. Now I just have to figure out the carbs. :)