Low Carb headache

I just started on a low carb diet- will be doing something similar to cycling. Does anyone have any ideas how to reduce the sluggish feeling and headache? I took my carbs from what MFP recommended (which was a lot!) down to 88 for the next 17 days, then I will be cycling down to 65. Any tips/ideas? Anyone have any success stories?

Replies

• I'm actually just starting that diet today. I've done it a couple times before and lost about 14 pounds in two weeks. I've done it for longer periods of times, but after the first 2 weeks you stop losing the weight as fast. but then again I try to limit my carb intake extremely low, like I try to only eat foods without carbs for thoughs two weeks. so maybe when you gradually lower your carbs, you'll keep losing weight for a longer period of time.. uhm and the headaches and tired feelings will only last the first week... it's just a shock to your body, you need carbs to have energy, so you are going to feel pretty tired for a while. but yea just stick with it, the hardest part about this diet is the first week, only because of the tiredness, headaches, and cravings for carbs. but like I said it all goes away. and one more thing, most important!! when your done with the diet, KEEP EATING HEALTHY!! because you will gain the weight back in the long run pretty easy if your eating the way you where... which was my mistake I did this and couple years ago and lost 25 pounds altogether and was happy with the way i looked, and started eating terrible again, and I gained all the weight back. which is why I joined MFP the only reason why I’m doing this diet now is because I’ve learned how to eat healthy, and i know when I’m done with this I will go right back to eating healthy. but yea I hope this helps a little.. Good Luck!!(: If you have any questions about anything let me know.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Totally normal. In these cases your best defense and remedy is to intake more sodium. Drink broth and make sure to salt your food and you will mitigate a lot of the symptoms.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    They don't call it Carb Flu for nothing. It'll pass but sometimes it can take time depending on how much you ate before.
  • mitchshan
    mitchshan Posts: 2 Member
    I lose weight fast when I reduce my carbs. I will eat 50grams of carbs then the next day I'll take it up to 100 then Wednesday 120..Then Thursday I'll go back down to 50 or as low as I can go...