c25k treadmill or c25k outside???

Options
Those who have done it or both what do you recommend?????

Replies

• aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I prefer running outside. I think both ways are effective but I like outdoors much better! =)
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Running on the treadmill is just not the same to me... I love outside!

You have to fiddle around with incline and pace to make it realistic, and then I just tend to stare at how SLOW the clock is going!
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I prefer running outside. I think both ways are effective but I like outdoors much better! =)

Its good to get used to both surfaces but yes, outside works best for me. Got a dog? They can help!
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i preferred to do this inside on the treadmill. my rationale was that this way bad weather would not be an excuse not to do it. also i live in an area that is hilly. i didn't think i would be able to take on the hills outside. so on the treadmill there were no excuses and once i was able to run the whole 5k i moved outside and can switch it up now.
  • chattychick
    chattychick Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you are planning to run an actual 5k it is going to be outside- so you might as well prepare for it outside. However, whatever gets (and keeps) you moving!
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Outside! Always outside! It makes the whole experience much more interesting.. and realistic.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I did most of my 5k training on a treadmill, and then transitioned to pavement running right before my race. I liked starting on the treadmill, because I felt less insecure running on it. Now I almost never use it though, and I much prefer running outside.

I will say, if you're intending to do an actual race at the end of your training, you'll want to do some running outside. Things like hills, wind, and temperature can really impact your performance, and it's good to know how to adjust to that.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Outside..every single time...here's why for ME..( but I totally get why people have to use a treadmill due to weather conditions, convenience etc)

1. When doing a run, there's nothing worse than busting a gut for 10 minutes at 6mph only to have 'gone' no where...

2. Fresh air smells nicer than a gym

3. Depending on your intentions with what you do once c25k is over, outdoor running will challenge you in terms of varying weather conditions, terrain and other experiences which will add to your skills and abilities of adapting to differing conditions

4. Unless you 'own' a treadmill, the outdoors is free and depending on where you run, there is variation on what you see

5. Running outdoors allows you to 'arrive' somewhere instead of just stepping off

6. people who see you running will either be jealous of you or 'dig' you...and maybe even be empowered by you to run, too.

7. I am anti-gym...but you probably figured that out by now!!!

Good luck with your c25k..I am on the last day of week 6 and think I have found my long term workout...to be a 'proper' runner :-)
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    It's personal preference.

I much prefer outside and this is how I did all my c25k training.

Having completed that a couple of months ago, I do occasionally tack on some interval (speed) training at the gym at the end of my strength workout. But that is much less enjoyable for me.

OT - Lately, I have not been following a program at all, I've just been mapping out a run and just running it. No Ipod, watch just me having a goal and running. Sometimes 4ks, sometimes 5ks, sometimes 6k although I don't really strictly measure. It's been lovely and just the thing I needed to recharge. I did start bridge to 10k, but I've been so busy with uni that I was starting to stress and obsess about running. So instead I took a step back and just did my own thing, and I am loving it. I plan to start the program again mid-June when first semester has finished. My fun runs plus my interval training should get me back on track again.

I would've quit running a long time ago if I was just on a treadmill. I do, however, have the luxury of living in a sub-tropical climate that is never extremely cold. Lots of rain and humidity in summer, but I can deal with that. In summer, the rain is a relief and I kinda enjoy running in it. Extreme cold? I'm not quite so sure lol.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I
    OT - Lately, I have not been following a program at all, I've just been mapping out a run and just running it. No Ipod, watch just me having a goal and running. Sometimes 4ks, sometimes 5ks, sometimes 6k although I don't really strictly measure. It's been lovely and just the thing I needed to recharge. I did start bridge to 10k, but I've been so busy with uni that I was starting to stress and obsess about running. So instead I took a step back and just did my own thing, and I am loving it. I plan to start the program again mid-June when first semester has finished. My fun runs plus my interval training should get me back on track again.

thats my goal..congrats on getting to the promised land!
  • knittermom07
    knittermom07 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I did the whole program on the treadmill, when I went outside I was very disappointed to find that it was very difficult to figure out my pace outside. I would recommend if you really want to use the treadmill, set your incline to at least 1-2 and also to run one day of it outside every week. It is a strange transition, but now that i've run a 5K and learned to run outside, I have found the love of getting outside and running, love it, it's not so much fun anymore on the treadmill. Good luck!
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    definitely outside!!!
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Outside. It is more interesting and more challenging.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I started on the treadmill because it was December and there was 12 inches of snow on the ground. Then ice. Then more snow.

But running outside is sooooooo much better.
  • ChrissyRMiller
    ChrissyRMiller Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm doing mine on the treadmill for now since I have some knee prblems. Once I'm in better shape I'll start running outside too. But it also gets cold and very windy here (Reno, NV) in the winter so I'm sure I'll go to the gym when its 20 degress F with strong wind. :)
  • KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Personal choice really......
    I did C25K on a treadmill and ran my final day outside to challenge myself.
    Now doing B210K on the treadmill. I'm in my 5th week. Probably will run my final day outside with this as well.
    I find there is no excuses because of the weather and its pushed me thru.
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys :) I think maybe my next day I'll try outside...hve to admit though I am really nervous for outside for different reasons .. 1. I am over weight and may look a little hideous 2. Afraid of the heat as we are in Tucson az 3. Afraid of neighborhood dogs attacking me (although if I brought my own dog I may feel more safe) 4. Afraid of bees and last but not least afraid of having a bad asthma attack lol..... wow I never realized until right now all my fears of outside running....perhaps time to overcome them... aye yai yai...
  • JeepBaja
    JeepBaja Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Outside. The thing with a treadmill, if you want to stop halfway through you can. Outside, if you stop halfway through, how ya gett'n back home?
  • Jen16226
    Jen16226 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am on week 6 of C25K and between our weather here in PA, my kids activities, work and honestly, I am afraid of looking like a complete idiot running outdoors, I have been only on the treadmill so far.

BUT once the weather gets to be nice, I am going to try hard to get some outdoor runs in no matter what I look like! LOL