StrongLifts 5x5 for WOMEN?!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    On overhead presses and bent over rows, I started with a 30? 35? lb bar. By week 3 I was using the 45 lb bar. Started with the 45 lb bar on all the other lifts. I'm progressing faster on some lifts than the others, mostly because my legs are stronger than my upper body, but that's common.

okay great! Thank you! Maybe I should just start with the heavier bar so I don't have to purchase two bars.. Seeing as how quickly you progressed ;)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Do we really have to slap "for women" at the end of everything to get women to do it?
    Or dowse it in pink. :grumble: :grumble:
    but...but...I like pink. I like squatting in pink chucks.
  • kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Do we really have to slap "for women" at the end of everything to get women to do it?

I do my 5x5 workouts in pink chucks too! They're fun!
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options

More power too you! Really... I just prefer lifting in orange socks. :laugh: *so overdosed on pink as a child*
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

I only asked because I naturally assumed those weights would be too heavy for me... which they probably are... I will have to modify it at first and thats basically what I was asking....

Girl power!!!!! Like oh my god

If you've never ever lifted before, than yes, the bar is probably going to be too heavy.

So... this is probably not a "stronglift" thing exactly, but you can start out with dumb bells if you need. For squats, hold them either down at hip level, one on each side (though I personally don't like that because it puts your center of gravity in the wrong place) OR hold them right in front of your navel. Squat just as you would with a bar. Same form. Less weight.

Do dumbbell bench presses too until you get to where you can do 45 lbs, then switch to the bar.

Alternatively, there are often straight-bar weights that people use for curls. They can go pretty low in weight... use that instead of an olympic bar until you get where you need to be. I'd recommend using those for deadlifts.

Good luck. You can do this. And you WILL love it.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

I only asked because I naturally assumed those weights would be too heavy for me... which they probably are... I will have to modify it at first and thats basically what I was asking....

Girl power!!!!! Like oh my god

If you've never ever lifted before, than yes, the bar is probably going to be too heavy.

So... this is probably not a "stronglift" thing exactly, but you can start out with dumb bells if you need. For squats, hold them either down at hip level, one on each side (though I personally don't like that because it puts your center of gravity in the wrong place) OR hold them right in front of your navel. Squat just as you would with a bar. Same form. Less weight.

Do dumbbell bench presses too until you get to where you can do 45 lbs, then switch to the bar.

Alternatively, there are often straight-bar weights that people use for curls. They can go pretty low in weight... use that instead of an olympic bar until you get where you need to be. I'd recommend using those for deadlifts.

Good luck. You can do this. And you WILL love it.

P.S. I have found that a lot of lifting, at least at the beginning, is about mental strength and not physical. I started off thinking I 'couldn't' lift a lot. Then, after dallying for a couple of weeks and accomplishing nothing, I said to myself, 'This is silly. I can lift that' and I did :) In one week, I'd advanced from 45 lbs (the bar) to 95 lbs on my deadlifts and I'm certain that was almost 100% mental gain, not muscle.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    At my gym in the 'ladies only room' they have smaller bars set up with set weights.

I started with the 10kg (22lbs?) bar and worked up from there.

Once I could lift the 20kg bar I had to migrate downstairs to the free weights section and work out with Olympic bar with no weight on it (Olympic bar = 20kg/44lbs)... now I can do everything with the Olympic bar and deadlifts/rows with weight on, and I've only been doing Stronglifts for 8 sessions.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options

P.S. I have found that a lot of lifting, at least at the beginning, is about mental strength and not physical. I started off thinking I 'couldn't' lift a lot. Then, after dallying for a couple of weeks and accomplishing nothing, I said to myself, 'This is silly. I can lift that' and I did :) In one week, I'd advanced from 45 lbs (the bar) to 95 lbs on my deadlifts and I'm certain that was almost 100% mental gain, not muscle.

So.much.this!

I read about "lifting heavy" for YEARS. I started programs with dumbbells and machines multiple times, thinking I had to "work up to" barbells.

I hired trainers and said, "I want to get strong" only to have them put me on machines or hand me barbie bells. Or worse, the weight lifting class I took at a community college. . . I asked the instructor for help on proper form for squats, and he led me to the Smith machine. *sigh*

I'm not sure what clicked with me internally this time, but I'm glad it did.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I started with a 15lb curling bar because I thought I was weak and as I'm shorter the full bar seemed too long. It helped me get into it. Now I'm looking for a long bar because I don't want to buy more weights just yet. :)
  • SparklesPlenty
    SparklesPlenty Posts: 90 Member
    Options

We could throw some glitter on it! I love glitter.... :tongue: :flowerforyou:
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options
    You don't. Unless you have an injury, there's no need to modify it.
  • amandaharmon10
    amandaharmon10 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Coming from a fitness instructor I would recommend taking some weight lifting classes if your gym offers them. Many women have the same problems you are facing. Taking a class gives you a chance to ask someone questions, watch others, learn exercises and proper alignments (if you have a good instructor), and to get a feel for the weights. I cant tell you how much weight you should start out with because everyone is different. You just need to make a feel for it and find your starter weights. If you can do more than 12 reps and not feel anything then you need to add weight.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Well said guys. I started my wife off with the BAR ONLY on everything. Some of the more taxing lifts I had her repeat with the bar for a couple weeks before adding weight, that's about the only modifications we made.

can't deadlift an empty bar properly. I'm sure she could do more than 45#.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Coming from a fitness instructor I would recommend taking some weight lifting classes if your gym offers them. Many women have the same problems you are facing. Taking a class gives you a chance to ask someone questions, watch others, learn exercises and proper alignments (if you have a good instructor), and to get a feel for the weights. I cant tell you how much weight you should start out with because everyone is different. You just need to make a feel for it and find your starter weights. If you can do more than 12 reps and not feel anything then you need to add weight.

I am a fitness instructor too. Do not take something like "group strength", "body pump" or other barbie weights set to music, and believe that it will teach you how to lift weights.

You need to learn how to lift FREE WEIGHTS properly, and no group exercise class will teach that. There are many videos on stronglifts and by Mark Rippletoe and others online that will show you how to lift properly. The first time you hit the weight room, ask someone to help. They will be happy to help you.

DON'T use the Smith Machine, regular or 3D.

have fun!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    SL 5x5 has you start off with an empty bar on all 5 lifts. Then you add 5 pounds each workout. This gradual progression helps you become accustomed to the lift, learn proper form and gain confidence. Don't feel dumb or bad that you are lifting only an empty bar, everyone is supposed to do that who uses this program.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Shfiftyfive Posts: 261
    Options
    Well said guys. I started my wife off with the BAR ONLY on everything. Some of the more taxing lifts I had her repeat with the bar for a couple weeks before adding weight, that's about the only modifications we made.

can't deadlift an empty bar properly. I'm sure she could do more than 45#.

Technically it would be like a Hang Clean is to an Olympic Clean. You're probably losing out on the extra strength needed to pull from the ground, but unless one has access to bumper plates and/or lighter bars, I don't know how else one would go about doing deadlifts when they can only do 45#.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    SL 5x5 has you start off with an empty bar on all 5 lifts. Then you add 5 pounds each workout. This gradual progression helps you become accustomed to the lift, learn proper form and gain confidence. Don't feel dumb or bad that you are lifting only an empty bar, everyone is supposed to do that who uses this program.

Be aware that you can't deadlift properly with plates smaller than 17", or an empty bar. If your gym does not have bumper plates, make sure to stack plates flat on the ground underneath each side (and cover with a towels so the bar won't roll) so you can get the bar to proper height. An empty bar on the floor cant roll over your toes, so immediately you are pulling at an angle, and you risk back pain. Pulling from a rack is . . . a rack pull, not a deadlift.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    WOW! Lot's of great information. Thank you all :flowerforyou:
    I am not planning on going to a gym.. I HATE GYMS !!!! I am going to buy my own set of weights and a bench..
    Yesterday i was so confused and today I think I have grasped the idea better from doing research and asking questions and of course all the help.
    I know I can be strong and I know I can do it!
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    Bump