Is it bad to NOT use all of your calories up?

Options
Will it affect my weight if I don't use up all of my calories, carbs, fats, and proteins in a day? Does whether I gain or lose weight depend on this?

Replies

• cookie1148
    cookie1148 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Some days I'm over, some days I'm under and some days I'm right on the money, so to speak. I think its good to confuse the body.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I generally don't eat all of my allotted calories, and have had great success. I think starvation mode is a urban legeng.
    Good luck Sweetgirl !
  • PayShi
    PayShi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Good to know someone feels that way, Anthony. I was far below my calories yesterday. I think what is concerning is if your BODY feels like it's very hungry for a long period of time. If you feel fine for more than 5 minutes then I think all is well.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I do not think it is bad to not use them all up, unless you are talking consistently huge deficit each day.

It only gets bad if you workout then do not eat to make up for the calories you burned. For example if you do an 8 mile walk and burn over 1000 calories doing so, then make sure your meals for the day absorb the calorie burn else you walk yourself into a large calorie deficit, which is not good.

How you get those calories you take in is a more important worry. Getting them from healthier food choices can make all the difference in the world for weight loss.

That is my personal experience talking.

As per the other things like protein, fats, etc - no you don't have to eat all of those up- though you should try to at least get some of the fiber in since that is your 'filler' which provides hours of contented belly feelings, which in its own way helps with weight loss. You can't feel hungry if your stomach is full.

What most impacts the weight loss is making healthy choices, avoiding maxing out your sodium intake, and being as active as you can through the day. Pick an activity and try and stick with it. Walking is mine. :laugh:
  • KeBeez02
    KeBeez02 Posts: 1
    Options
    No it is not bad at all to use up all your calories it is quite benificial! I hardly everr use all my calories and I have been seeing great weight loss lately! A pound or so a day! As long as you are feeling satisfied, your fine!
  • sweetgirl83
    sweetgirl83 Posts: 32
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input. Very helpful. I still have 422 calories left but I'm done for the day. I try not to eat past 2 or 3.
  • fruitloopz
    fruitloopz Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm at this point too..
  • kendra11c
    kendra11c Posts: 11
    Options
    Are your settings right? Maybe you need to reduce your goal calorie intake.
  • StrawberrySt
    StrawberrySt Posts: 235
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input. Very helpful. I still have 422 calories left but I'm done for the day. I try not to eat past 2 or 3.

Nightshift? Or just no dinner? Are you not eating cause you are not hungry or because you are trying to lose weight?
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't go under 1200, it's generally fine. :D
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how many cals you are under and whether this is happening every day.
    If you have a lot of weight to lose, you can get away with a much larger calorie deficit, but if you are pretty close to goal weight, then you don't have the same level of reserves to use.
    I don't have any issue with being a few hundred calories under now and again - it gives you a bit of a buffer for the days when you eat over your calorie allowance. But, if you are 400 calories under your goal every day and you don't have a lot to lose - that sounds like a recipe for problems to me. Calories are the fuel that keeps our bodies going, they give us energy to keep our bodies healthy and to do all of the things that we fit into our days. Cutting too low for too long is not a good strategy for long term health.

Personally I'm not a fan of "only eat when hungry" - I don't think we are always in touch with what our bodies actually need, it's important to get enough nutrition and energy regardless of how you feel. I also find not eating after 2 or 3 a bit unusual - that sounds like a pretty hard rule to stick to for the long term.... and it must make it hard to eat enough earlier in the day.
  • sweetgirl83
    Options
    Sometimes I go under and sometimes I go over and if I have to eat too late to finish my calories, I will just skip. Not sure if that's good or not.
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I go under and sometimes I go over and if I have to eat too late to finish my calories, I will just skip. Not sure if that's good or not.

If I'm way under, my nutritionist told me to grab a handful of nuts, they are high in calories and good for you. Good luck!
  • sweetgirl83
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! I have truly gotten great information from you and now I can make better decisions. And, no I don't work nights, but I was told I shouldn't eat past 3. I usually take whatever someone says and run with it until I see it doesn't really work for me.
  • sweetgirl83
    Options
    Thanks Sheila. I still haven't figured out how to reply to a specific post so bear with me ya'll. I'm slow! lol
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    No.
  • tlink67
    tlink67 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
  • tlink67
    tlink67 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

It depends. If your allowed 1200 calories and working out, you really shouldn't be eatting under 1200 calories. If your allowed 1500 calories and working out and only consumed 1300 then your fine. for a women you never want to eat less then 1200 calories. If you do, your body goes into starvation mode and holds on to the fat and slow metabolism down.
  • Peejai
    Peejai Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes , If you dont eat enough calories your body will still go into starvation mode . And then hold on to every thing from the meals that you are supplying it with. You should be eating some thing every three hours . Not eating past two or three isnt good . I have just started body trim and i find it excelllent. check it out
  • sweetgirl83
    Options
    Yes , If you dont eat enough calories your body will still go into starvation mode . And then hold on to every thing from the meals that you are supplying it with. You should be eating some thing every three hours . Not eating past two or three isnt good . I have just started body trim and i find it excelllent. check it out

Thank you! I was thinking along the same lines. Appreciate it.