Quick question about pasta

Options
Shayztar
Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
I boil some whole wheat pasta. Unprepared, the box says 310 calories for a cup. I weigh a few dry and then weigh a few boiled and estimate that they have blown up about 3 times the size. I portion out one cup, log it as about a third of an uprepared cup. That's a measly 100 calories for a whole cup of delicious pasta.

Why did I used to think pasta was bad for me?

What are your thoughts on pasta?

Replies

• issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    When I looked up cooked whole wheat pasta in the data base it gave me 176 cals for a cup, still not too bad if you can stick to 1 cup.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I love pasta and have switched to whole grain pasta for the most part. I don't know how you can eat only one cup, though! :laugh:

That's the great thing about mfp: you can eat anything guilt-free as long as you stay within your calorie limit.
  • cmweber1966
    Options
    I love pasta although I limit it to once a week or once every two weeks. Sometimes I eat regular white pasta also. maybe one cup but, mostly 2.
  • cmweber1966
    Options
    The body also needs carbs for energy so don;t not eat them. just limit .....
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation, that's all :-)

A lot of people depend on pasta dishes throughout the week. This is fine, but it's full of carbs and sometimes cooked unhealthily (adding too much sugary sauces and too much oil, etc.) so the calories of FAT add up. While we need carbs, we generally overeat on our carbs.

Plus, pasta is usually accompanied by bread sides or hors d'oeuvres.