Low calorie Low Carb, High Protein. My tips.

DaSavedSinner
DaSavedSinner Posts: 211 Member
I am new to the site but I have already been asked about my foods I use. I focus on High protein and low carb/cal. One of the biggest helpers with this is EGG WHITES! I love them and its easy to make them many many different ways and flavors.

For bfast try using a store bought or personally made seasoning mix such as mrs dash or those grilling mixes (i buy them 10/$10 alot) Just doing it this way I can make many styles of egg white to prevent being bored of the food. For example: Tex fiesta or taco seasoning and top with some salsa, Parmesan cheese (good protein lower cal), italian seasoning, garlic POWDER(i never use garlic salt) and if you wish a little crushed red pepper, how about cajun seasoning? I love it, the possiblities are endless.

SANDWHICH: when using meat I stick to turkey or chicken but a great trick is to use less meat and add a cooked eggwhite to fill it more w'o adding alot of extra cal. I even Do this if I go to an unnamed sandwhich shop for a $5 sub.

Onto my absolute favorite food and my most common meal. SOUP!
I know a lot of people hate soup, so did my wife who is a very very picky eater.
Start with your hot water (boils quicker) and add your seasonings of choice (see above in the bfast part) add either chicken(or beef) broth( prefered due to lower sodium) or if all else fail use Boullion (carefull of the sodium). when you hit a boil add frozen veggies ( i keep a bag in the freezer of about 3-4 types of mixed veggies all mixed together) and when the veggies are good and cooked add egg whites SLOWLY while QUICKLY stirring using a chopstick or simular sized long item like the handle of a long plastic spoon. To make this meal even better instead of adding the broth use cut up raw chicken breast and boil til cooked then add vegies, ect. This adds the broth and a little more heartiness to it. I will try to add more tips when i think of them.

Who says that eating the same thing alot cannot still be eating a variety? After all that, I think I will go make my dinner now. :laugh:

Replies

• SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    THANK YOU for posting this :)

I'm trying to focus on upping my protein levels and lowering my carb levels - carbs are gradually going down but always really under my protein.
    I love eggs (particularly poached) for breakfast and looking for new ways to eat them so the seasoning sounds like a great idea to jazz them up :smile:
    This is probs a stupid question, but how do you cook egg whites alone or do you have to cook the yolk as well? Like, do you have to separate the yolk from the white before cooking them?
    Also going to get more turkey as opposed to ham for sandwiches - does it have more protein than ham?

Again, thanks for the ideas :)
  • annabgray
    annabgray Posts: 22
    My new favorite high protein snack is Lowfat cottage cheese with sprinkled smoked paprika :blushing:
  • DaSavedSinner
    As far as the turkey vs ham you would have to reserch that I only eat turkey and chicken unless its a "cheat" day. When I say cheat I mean 1 or 2 days a week I eat a less restricted meal for dinner (no fried) this basically confuses the body into keeping your metabolism higher rather than adjusting to the lower calories. If trying to lose try using a set calorie limit for your days w'o stressing yourself on the counting part the counting is what causes the diets to become annoying. 1 or 2 days a week increase the calorie limit depending on your other days for example say if a person is eating a 2000 cal diet for a more rapid loss they could eat 2200 or 2300 for 2 days of the week to cause the metabolism to stay high and not drop. Just make sure the 2 days are 3-4 days apart. Just my tip don't consider it as a pro statement just from my exp.
  • DaSavedSinner
    Oh and also I separate my own eggs by cracking the shell in half and flipping it from half to half. I also have a store bought egg separator (they even make one that cracks the eggs but have not tired it yet) but I seem to break less yolks w'o using the separator.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    The yolks contain all the good stuff...

And it seems you are eating really low cal if you usually eat some egg whites, a sandwich and soup most days
  • DaSavedSinner
    My new favorite high protein snack is Lowfat cottage cheese with sprinkled smoked paprika :blushing:

If you like Bean dip I saw a recipe the other day that used blended cottage cheese with re-fried beans and something else to make a bean dip w'o a lot of cal. I have not tried it yet but that is because i keep forgetting to look it up again...thank you for reminding me of that lol i'll look now.
  • denisekh88
    denisekh88 Posts: 53
    Thanks for the great ideas! I never thought about the egg whites at the sandwich shop :)
  • DaSavedSinner
    The yolks contain all the good stuff...

And it seems you are eating really low cal if you usually eat some egg whites, a sandwich and soup most days

I spread my meals out to more around 6-8 rather than 3. Keeps me full and not over full. And I must say you are right on the "good stuff" I never noticed that i was going on the rumor i guess.

Here is a Quote: As you can see from the table, the yolk contains 100% of the carotenoids, essential fatty acids, vitamins A, E, D, and K (6 items). The white does not contain 100% of any nutrient.

The yolk contains more than 90% of the calcium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, thiamin, B6, folate, and B12, and 89% of the panthothenic acid (9 items). The white does not contain more than 90% of any nutrient, but contains over 80% of the magnesium, sodium, and niacin (3 items).

The yolk contains between 50% and 80% of the copper, manganese, and selenium, while the white contains between 50% and 80% of the potassium, riboflavin, and protein.

Maybe to add more nutrient w'o alot of cal I will start using 1 yolk per 2 eggs so 1 yolk 2 egg whites. I am going to have to look into that more. Thank you for your input.
  • GoThinGirl
    GoThinGirl Posts: 14 Member
    Thank you for posting. I, too, am interested in learning how to increase my protein intake. I've recently switched my exercise routine from running 6 days/week o lifting weights 3 days/week and running 3 days/week. I am looking forward to learning more from you.