What are your opinions on diet soda?

Options

Replies

• Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Gave up diet soda because of the sodium. If I want a carbonated drink I go for the real thing. Would really just prefer water or ice tea.
  • laurieagain09
    laurieagain09 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Terrible and addicting :(
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Coke Zero. It's not as good as Coke Classic, but I like it better than Diet Coke. It's great for when I want flavor without the calories. And, having done my homework, I'm comfortable consuming both splenda and aspartame in low dosages.
  • squirrelygirl82
    Options
    I used to drink Diet Pepsi like it was water. Since I have started MFP, I have decreased my consumption to 1 can per day at most. I don't drink diet pop over regular because I think it is healthier, or because it's less sugar, I drink it because I prefer the taste over regular pop. I don't think there is anything wrong with it if you are making sure to drink your water, too.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Nope I dont drink it. It has aspartame in it, which is bad for u. That is why reg soda is better than diet, but it's empty cals. Water is the best thing for u.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Personally I have never cared for sodas, diet or otherwise. Can't possibly be good for you.
  • fenwaysgirl
    fenwaysgirl Posts: 22
    Options
    i quit drinking ANY soda, i lose weight...i start drinking it again, i start gaining..im DONE w all soda! lol
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I prefer diet coke, but will drink coke zero if I must, and occasionally I will go for a diet Dr. Pepper.

I drink probably too much, and I would say the only negative I can really think of is that I frequently find myself drinking it in lieu of water.
  • akrnrunner
    akrnrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to mostly water but that gets boring. So I'll have one every one in awhile. I have to purpose myself to get one though, like if I'm at a restaurant or something. I don't keep it in the house. But I also find that I don't crave it like I used to. I will do a mixed drink with it though to keep the calories down. Malibu Rum & Diet Coke are my fav. :)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I drink Diet Pepsi or Pepsi Max daily and have lost a few pounds while consuming it... I highly doubt I will ever stop drinking it.. I get 120 oz. of water in daily as well so I don't feel a couple bottle a day is going to kill me... Heck if I was still 560 lbs. my soda habit would be the least of my problems...
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I use to drink 4+ cans a day but since then maybe have 1-2 a week. I dont think it is good for you but everything in moderation......
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    honestly I think it is poison and don't touch it.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Garbage!! Dont drink soda at all! Just my opinion:huh:

agree
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I drink it.. Its not everyday, I normally buy a 600ml bottle once a week, and that bottle lasts for 2 days.
  • craniallili89
    craniallili89 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my diet soda all the time. water is way better but nothing compared to DIET COKE!
  • kjerstenkipp
    kjerstenkipp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It has aspartame in it which many studies have proven to cause cancer. (aspartame is also used in rat poison...). It has also been linked to alzheimers. Also, some people say that your body responds to sweetness the same way regardless of if its real sugar. This is because digestions starts in your mouth with your taste buds...idk if i believe that one. Additionally, they have done studies and people who drink diet soda are not thinner than people who drink regular soda.

The aspartame-cancer link is a myth...
    http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/CancerCauses/OtherCarcinogens/AtHome/aspartame

Drink diet soda if you want...it won't make you thin, but it will save you some calories. Just don't fall for the "I had diet coke so I can have the fries" trap :-)
  • danithegirl89
    danithegirl89 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It's the devil. No joke.

I used to drink diet soda and use fake sugar all the time. Now that I quit, I rarely ever get headaches and I have lost more weight. I try to stick to water (once in awhile with lemon, but not all the time because it's bad for your teeth), iced tea and coffee (plain of course). Once in awhile, I will have a regular soda as a treat. Fake sugar screws your body up. I would give it up if you can.
  • CrazyGraciegirl
    Options
    If I go out to eat and have to get a drink from a soda fountain and water is not available, I usually get diet soda. :embarassed: I have been trying to take in more water but I still have diet soda often. :grumble: I guess it's alright every once in a while though!
    I have taken up drinking decaf tea because it doesn't have any calories and I get water this way, but I've been using artificial sweetners (splenda) with it because plain tea tastes bland.
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Do you drink it? Why or why not? Why is it so bad for you/worse than regular soda?

Thanks!

I allow myself one can a day sometimes more, but I'd say about 90% of my week is good ole' H2O!!!
  • helenprimorac
    Options
    I used to love Diet Coke and drank it once a day. I read that aspartame causes tumours, cancer and migraines amont other things. So, I stopped drinking soda pop altogether in February. Except last week, I had a gin and 7.
    I can't say that I miss it much. I even stopped drinking Perrier because the bubbles give me burps and its very annoying. Water is my choice and I found out that juice is okay.