Heart Rate Monitors, Which One is the Best?

Options
I want to purchase a heart rate monitor and wanted to see which one is the beat according to your opinion

Replies

• johnscat1981
    johnscat1981 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I would like to know too.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Polar.. Hands down.

Most people here use the Polar FT4 or FT7.. I personally use an FT60 and I love it!
  • RachFace1000
    RachFace1000 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options
    Personally, I prefer a fitbit over a HRM. From a HRM standpoint though, I guess it depends on your needs/how you're using it.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT7 and have been using it today for the first time. Pretty easy to figure out and comfortable to wear. I specifically got the FT7 because it was the cheapest Polar model that you can connect to their little FlowLink gadget and get your data put directly into the Polar training website. So far, so good!
  • pearceda
    pearceda Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have a New Balance one that I have no problems with. But in observing other threads, it seems like Polar is the most popular.
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar F6 however I dont think they sell them anymore. I'll be upgrading soon to either a FT40 or FT60
  • verapamil
    verapamil Posts: 94
    Options
    bump!
  • SirRunningShorts
    SirRunningShorts Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I got a New Balance one as well. I just got it and am trying to work it all out, but it does everything I want it to.
  • ShanR77
    ShanR77 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Due to finances i purchased a Sport Line Cardio 660 for $60 at Big 5. It comes with the watch and the chest strap. I've used it twice and will be using it again tonight. So far i haven't had any problems with it. It's easy to use and comfortable to wear.
  • Lmdaniels
    Lmdaniels Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT4. Works great for me. Didn't break the bank.
  • rone01
    rone01 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT40 and love it it is acutally my 2nd Polar one. I still have my original one (and have used it for years) but went to the FT40 just because it gives me my actual heart rate as well as calories burned. Hope that helps
  • Hananiah
    Hananiah Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar FT1 as my first one and still use it. I recommend a higher grade Polar than mine because mine doesn't tell the calories burnt. (Unless you don't mind looking it up on a website)
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar RCX5 its pricey but comes standard with a lot of add-ons for other Polar HRMs. It is very comfortable and has the ability to adjust my target zones each day based on some "magic" formula that Polar built into the computer. That made it worth the extra money to me.
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Garmin Forerunner 210. It's pricy, but I picked it due to its GPS capability and its format. I hike a lot so having the device track not only my heart rate (and calories), but my distance, path elevation and then place it on a real map when I upload the data to my computer is kind of cool. I can also use it inside (ie: gym) by choosing that option (it turns the GPS off) and if I'm running, I can use a foot pod (which is a little device you put on your shoe lace that sends signals to the watch) which will calculate exact speed for laps, stance, etc.

What you pick should be based on what you want the device to do (there is no point paying more if you won't use the extra options) and obviously, your pocket book. Hope you find what you are looking for!
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I spent almost 16 hours in the past two days surfing the web trying to answer that question :p

I found this guy's blog very interesting : http://www.dcrainmaker.com/

He has insanely in depth review of a lot of products. Many Garmins, but a few polars, timex and other HRM / GPS watch.

There is a whole section about the algorithms of Garmin, and I think if you get a model that uses the New Leaf test, you pretty much have the best available to mankind without being strapped permanently to a VO2 machine. When you don't use that test, the recent devices use Firstbeat technologies which beats Polar's algo, as far as I can tell.

The only advantage Polar has I think at the moment, before they release new devices, is that they can capture HR in water. But nothing else of interest (SWOLF, speed, etc), just HR.

For triathlons I'll get the FR910, but for running, the FR610 or FR60 are really classy in terms of everyday watches, and pretty much dead on for HR and calories estimations, if you don't care about unerwater HR :p
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    FT4 or 7 is good. However, it underestimated my calories by 10-20%. I originally had a Polar RS400, which allowed me to put my VO2 max,, recovery rate, and my different zones (had to take a test to get those numbers). My calorie burn was more accurate. And with the software, it told me how much fat vs carbs i was burning.

Now I only bought the watch because i was trying to improve my running performance. I don't think you really need to buy it. That model is expensive, and taking the metabolic test was expensive also.

Overall though, Polar watches are good!! When I lost my RS400...SMH :( I replaced it with the FT7. What i do now, is take my ending average and put it into the software. It will still calculate close to what i burn.
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Garmin Forerunner 210. It's pricy, but I picked it due to its GPS capability and its format. I hike a lot so having the device track not only my heart rate (and calories), but my distance, path elevation and then place it on a real map when I upload the data to my computer is kind of cool. I can also use it inside (ie: gym) by choosing that option (it turns the GPS off) and if I'm running, I can use a foot pod (which is a little device you put on your shoe lace that sends signals to the watch) which will calculate exact speed for laps, stance, etc.

What you pick should be based on what you want the device to do (there is no point paying more if you won't use the extra options) and obviously, your pocket book. Hope you find what you are looking for!

Hmm I may have to keep my polar F6 and look more into a Garmin...I love all the features you mentioned as I plan to do more hiking/trail walking
  • ashprather
    ashprather Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    i heard the bodymedia fit was good
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I tried one of the wristwatch type and it tended to short out when I worked up a sweat. I'll be buying an FT7 in the near future.