Flaxseed Oil!

Options
Bumdrahp
Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
SO- I always hear about this flax seed and flaxseed oil..and out of pure curiosity i ended up purchasing a bottle ( pricey little fugger). I have been putting just a teaspoon into meals like rice, or into tuna, or green beans.. I don't do more than a teaspoon though the serving size is a tablespoon.. I don't know really what the health benefits are. I was curious if anyone else uses flaxseed oil, and how they do. or what they do with it..

Replies

• rldnellor
    rldnellor Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but an curious to know if you get an answer.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    Me too, I want to know what to do with the bottle! Lol. Or if I wasted my money, I'm taking a multi vitamin so, i'm thinking maybe I didn't need it.. but I hear its good for your digestive system!? I don't know.
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    I believe it has similar benefits as Fish Oil but it's from plants instead of animals. It's suppose to help raise your HDL and be beneficial to your cardiac health. I don't know of any weight loss related benefit though.
  • wtdia
    wtdia Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi. I heard it was good for the same thing as fish oil...for cholesterol, heart health. My eye doctor suggested it for my chronic dry eye as a supplement.
    I have to say the stuff tastes nasty and if you buy the pills you have to take something like 12-16 a day to be the equivalent of one tablespoon...the recommended amount for my eye issue. It is also supposed to help with perimenopausal symptoms.

The ONLY way I could stomach swallowing this horrible smelling and tasting stuff was by stirring a tablespoon in a cup of beef or chicken boullion. Then I didn't mind it so much.

I stopped using it because I got different supplements for my eyes.

Be sure to keep the oil refrigerated....it has a short shelf life.
  • hurleycutie142
    hurleycutie142 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    i bought the pills and took them today... it made my stomach hurt so bad i threw up :[
  • shawnponton
    Options
    I have a cousin who adds it to cereal, smoothies, etc. She swears by it - says it helps keep her full so to that end it does help in the diet department as well.
  • shawnponton
    Options
    Flaxseed not flaxseed oil, I meant.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ There are a lot of benefits ... here is a link that will provide you with the knowledge you seek :

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/benefits-of-flaxseed

:flowerforyou:
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I just bought a bag of milled golden flaxseed.. not sure what to do with it either, but suppose you could sprinkle it on about anything??
  • wendiv130
    wendiv130 Posts: 26
    Options
    I bought it a couple of years ago. Don't remember why, but I hated the taste of it, and didn't know what to do with it. I ended up giving a spoonful to my kids when they got mouthy!! Worked like a charm!!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Flaxseed is good for digestion and helps your body absorb other nutrients
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    Thanks guys!! Super helpful Appreciate it!!
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I recently added the whole seeds to my diet. Good source of Omega3 & fiber. Add them to cooked oatmeal, sprinkled into sandwiches or cooked veggies.