Legal Roommate advice

Options
Okay this is going to sound nuts, but I got really freaked out by my roommate. I would post on facebook, but he added me... So here I am on MFP - the site I use most.

My previous roommate left and subletted her room to this guy. I wasn’t comfortable with him at first, but I generally tend to by open minded, so much so my brains are falling out. This is the problem that always happens when I don’t trust my gut instinct, and I let logic win out.

I was walking into the kitchen today and he was cursing his boss, who just fired him. He was saying that she was a stupid ***** and needed to get a brain tumor and just die. He says stuff like that all the time. I think that is the reason he got fired. If I ever say anything about how I am frustrated by my coworkers he will say stuff like “I hope they get cancer and die.”

He knows I get upset by such remarks.

So I was really freaked out because he was going on, venomously how “She said I needed to update these fact sheets, well I created these fact sheets, I am not updating them. She’s a stupid *****…” In fact, he was so aggressive and intimidating toward her that he made her keep him on two weeks after she decided to fire him. That isn’t normal! He told me how he stared her down and demanded that she honor their verbal contract, she told him “I’ll ruin you.”

Frankly, I don’t think a normal person would think his argument is logical. She is telling him to finish the fact sheets, and she said “Update” and he was spitting angry because he wanted her to use the word “Create” even though they are already created. He is angry, and wishing death upon her because he wants her to use the incorrect verb.

So he realized I was really upset, because he tried to get me to agree with him, and I just walked out of the kitchen. And he followed me into the living, and started “apologizing” by telling me all the things I do wrong. He said “I thought it was okay because you ***** about your boss….”

And I said, “Well that’s not the problem, I feel uncomfortable and threatened when you say such aggressive things and wish death and disease upon other people.”

And he says, “I wasn’t saying I was going to kill her. I was saying she should die.”

He then aggressively told me how I am a really bad roommate because I play with my dog at night and I talk too much. He apparently thinks that bad behavior is quid pro quo. If he thinks I am annoying he is allowed to be aggressive toward me?!?

So, long story short, What do I do?

Right up front, I am going to admit to being an annoying person. I talk a lot. I sing, play guitar, have a very boisterous dog I treat like a child… I can deal with slobs, smokers, drunks, anal retentive types, greedy people, people who steal my stuff, people with ugly furniture. None of that has bothered me. I am just freaked out by the aggression.

He has not signed a lease with me, he has signed a sublease with my former roommate. The lease is up at the end of August. I want to stay in the apartment, and so does he. However, I think I have claim on the renewal of the lease, and obviously I won’t invite him back.

Any ideas of what I can do, legally? Mentally? Etc… to alleviate this situation?

Replies

• teinepalagi
    teinepalagi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you're in that situation. That sucks. I'm hoping there are some lawyers on here that can help you with the legal side of things. But I would speak to the owner/landlord and let them know in the most professional and appropriate way possible about the situation. Let them know you'd like to renew the lease, remind them of your timely payments, etc....but let them know that you will not be doing this if they allow him to stay.

And I'd be out of the apartment as much as possible until August at least while he's there.

If you truly feel your safety might be in jeopardy, get out.....now. No apartment/house is worth that.
  • losermomof3
    losermomof3 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    WOW....I wish I could help you!!! Thats pretty scary!!! Hopefully you can sit down with him and another friend and see if he will move out!
  • kymillion
    kymillion Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    most attorneys offer free legal advice and you might be able to go to the local legal aide in your state and have them help you with getting him evicted sooner the thing that sucks is he seems volatile and that's not a safe place to be/ I wish I had better advice to give you but I have never been in that situation , you can if you feel the need to get a restraint order if his aggression is threatening to you..
    I wish you the best of luck..
    and I am sorry you are dealing with someone so hateful was she the original holder of the lease and did you sign anything with her stating you had dibs or that she had to have approval before just anyone could sublet..?
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I do not think you can do anything legally immediately, if
    1. he has been there more then 30 days
    2. he has belongings there
    3. he receives mail in his name.

Whether his name is on the lease or not he legally lives there (how it is in FL not sure if your state differs)

In fact he doesn't have to pay anything and still legally stay there because of squatters rights.

In order to have him leave you will need to file an eviction notice and it cost money and takes up to 6 months.

I would avoid him and live your life, if your annoying enough maybe he will leave on his own accord LOL
  • editnonnalynn
    editnonnalynn Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Praying for wisdom, hun. You need it. When it comes, act on it! Sorry for your situation.
  • Jessintherain
    Jessintherain Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Gosh, No ideas here. I think the above poster is correct though. If he is legit living there (mail, belongings, etc) there isn't much you can do until the lease is up.

That's pretty unnerving though.

Maybe just don't engage in those conversations that you know will turn uncomfortable, and leave the room.

I dunno, lady. That really stinks.