Running...kind of a weird question.

Options
Hello everyone! :D So I'm training for my 1st 5k in the end of June and though I've run once in a while before, I never actually given it my all. But the past few weeks, especially this week I've been pushing myself further than ever and it's showing because I can run a little longer now. So onto the "weird" question... Since I started running I've noticed that compared to my other exercises (Zumba, Elliptical etc) I sweat oh I don't know.... 10 times more. xD But according to the exercise log on MFP I'm burning less calories than any of my other main cardiovascular workouts (again zumba and elliptical). Granted I'm only running about half the time, but I'm more exhausted and completely drenched with sweat. This makes me think/feels like I've burned way more calories but that's not true according to the calculator... So that's my question I guess, am I actually burning more calories running rather than zumba or elliptical or is it all in my head. xD

Side notes: I don't have a HRM, so not sure there, also I'm running outside not on a treadmill. Has anyone out there felt the same way or had experience with this? Does running burn more calories? Does sweating more mean more calories burnt? lol All help is appreciated and thanks in advance! :D

Side question so I don't spam the message board: Any tips or tricks on preparing for a 5k? Also, my shins have bruises on them after each run, is this normal for a beginner?

Replies

• jazziesaj11
    jazziesaj11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    *bumpdity bump* xD Is there no way to tell this? :ohwell: ...anyone? xD :laugh:
  • jazziesaj11
    Options
    And bumping again. :P
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I wish i knew for you, but i'm just helping bumpity bumping so others might help.
  • jazziesaj11
    Options
    LOL that's totally okay, thank you so much! :flowerforyou:
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    For most people, running burns 90-120 calories per mile. What is your pace? How much do you weigh now? I'm 139 lbs and I burn about 105-110 cals per mile when I run.

To figure it out multiply your body weight in lbs x 0.75

Also - you should not have sore shins after a run. That can be from increasing your mileage too quickly or from having improper shoes for your feet and/or stride. HTH!
  • jazziesaj11
    Options
    Thank you so much! I weigh 149 now which would mean I burn about 111-112 cals per mile? So I guess mfp is about right then. I'm not sure honestly about my pace, I don't feel like I'm running at top speed but I'm not jogging either so I guess in the middle?:ohwell:

Oh dear, I was wondering if it was my shoes, I've had these forever (over a year).... Any suggestions on good running shoes that aren't too expensive? Thank again for all your help! :DD:flowerforyou:
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your shoes are spent. I buy new shoes every 400 miles or so... which ends up being about every 4-6 months depending if I'm training for a race or not. The shoes that are good for me might not be good for you! I suggest you go to a running store and get fitted. Good shoes are not cheap - they cost anywhere from $80-150. But they are worth it if you are really interested in running a lot.

Right now I'm wearing Brooks Pure Connect shoes. They are about $90 and are great!
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Good running shoes will star t @ around $80 or soon. Go to a local running store and bring your current running shoes with you, they can tell your gait and your needs for a neutral or supportive/structured shoe. A good shoe will depend on your foot shape. Nike, asics, saucony, adidas and perhaps new balance all make intermediate shoes in your range.
  • camille108
    camille108 Posts: 10
    Options
    I agree with the above posts. On my runs i usually burn about 100 calories every 10 minutes. The faster your pace the more calories you will burn. I don't think using your sweat as a guide is an accurate measure of how many calories you have burned. I have a Garmin GPS watch that measures my calories among other things and I will say its pretty much in tune with the estimates of MFP. Although, MFP tends to be 4-5 calories less than what the watch says at times but that's not a huge difference.
  • GregDinAZ
    GregDinAZ Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Some people are built to run smoothly/easily and others aren't. For those that aren't, running is a HUGE workout and so it is not surprising that you are sweating buckets. Be happy that you are getting a terrific workout in!

Also, get to a specialty running store and get them to pick shoes for you. NO shoes are right for all feet and the best thing you can do is to find shoes that work for you!
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I sweat a LOT more from running than from just about anything else. It makes me feel like I burn more calories too, but I don't know if that's true. I don't use a hrm either, so I'm not really much help, am I? lol

As for your shins, lots of things can cause that. You may be increasing your running time too fast or you could stretching your legs out too far in front when you run. Try shortening your stride length for a while so you aren't reaching out so far in front of you and see if that helps. Short, quick strides are easier on the shins. There are also lots of exercises and stretches you can do to help. Just google "exercises for shin splints" or something similar. Taking ibuprofen and iceing your shins right after a run can help with the discomfort. Mild front leg pain is pretty common for beginners, but if you take it easy you can often run through it until your legs get used to the new exercise. If it's more than just mild discomfort, see a doctor.

I don't really do anything special to get ready for a 5K. I run three times a week with a longer run on the weekend. Since 5K's are usually on the weekends, they take the place of my long run that week. I eat lightly and drink plenty of water a couple of hours beforehand. I only take what I need for the run with me. All of the races I've done have provided water and after-race snacks. And I try to get there at the beginning of the check in time because I never know what the lines will be like, whether parking will be close to the race site or not, etc. I spend any extra time stretching, going to the bathroom one last time, walking, warming up, and talking to the other participants.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, I was wondering if it was my shoes, I've had these forever (over a year).... Any suggestions on good running shoes that aren't too expensive? Thank again for all your help! :DD:flowerforyou:

Yeah...you're probably way overdue for shoes. Everybody has different shoe needs, so you'll have to figure out what shoes work for you. I didn't find the people at the running store near me to be much help personally, so hopefully you'll have better luck. I tried several shoes other runners gushed over and just wasn't happy with them. Based on what I didn't like, I researched and tried other shoes and finally settled on Ryka's. That first pair was like a homecoming for my feet!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    How much you sweat has absolutely nothing to do with how many calories you burn. It just means you're overheating more.
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I would generally go with your gut on this one. How exactly is the calculator supposed to tell how many calories someone burns during zumba? People work at different intensities, and every zumba class is different.

That said, I don't think the amount of calories you burn is directly related to how much you sweat or even how tired you are. But you should note that while at the moment burning 500 calories while running might be a lot harder than burning 500 calories while doing zumba, you will improve considerably to the point where burning 500 calories while running won't affect you at all. I hear a lot of comments from people about how weight lifting (for example) burns so many more calories than running (or cardio in general). To which I might say, "That's because your cardio is weak." Someone with a strong cardio vascular system can burn 1000 calories in a session on easy days. Nothing against lifting though.

As for shoes... Think about this, people have been around for a very long time and running shoes were only invented in the last 50 years. Additionally, the great American marathoners of the 1970s basically ran in flat soled shoes. Personally I have a few pairs of shoes in rotation and none of them are less than a year old. My current work horse shoes have well over 2000 miles on them, and aside from some tears in the fabric they're fine (just to be informative, they're the nike free 5.0's. Not that I am recommending them, especially because the nike free keeps changing dramatically). There's a growing number of runners who believe that the extra padding in the heels of running sneakers messes up your bio mechanics and causes injuries. The idea being that humans always run on the balls of their feet, except when they have shoes on they strike with their heel first. Just food for thought, personally I find a comfortable pair that doesn't give me blisters and I ride them until the wheels fall off. No injuries to speak of in the last 4 or 5 years. (But that's just anecdotal evidence)
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I've been running regularly for 4-5 years and every time I've let my running shoes go a little past their expiration date, I feel it in my shins and remember I'm due for new ones. Now I just know to buy new ones every 6 months to avoid that. Definitely get new shoes. It's an investment (I never pay over $100, but it's usually 80-90), but it makes a huge difference. I have higher arches so I am loving my Asics. I cannot wear Nikes. New Balance has also been good to me, but my Asics are awesome. A knowledgeable running store employee will help you determine what you need.

It's a safe bet that if you're running at a moderate speed (5 or 5.5 mph) you probably burn 100 calories a mile. But if you're running faster (6.0-7.0), it's probably more like 110-115 a mile. I weigh 145 and did a 5K this weekend with a 6.7 mph average and my Garmin said I burned 366 calories. On the other hand I've been running for a while so perhaps if you'd done exactly the same you may burn more because it may have taken more effort. The estimates on MFP may not always be exactly correct, but they're close enough. Good luck!