What am I doing wrong????

Options
I am 23 years old, I weigh 173lbs and I'm 5'6. I have been putting in a lot of effort into losing weight but nothing seems to work.
I've been working out with a boot camp fitness program 4 days a week for 4 months now. It is the best work out I've ever had. Although I have gained muscle, I haven't seen any weigh loss results. I began logging my calories a few months ago and I still haven't seen any weight loss results. I have been following what MFP says and I have only lost 1lb my whole journey! I am very frustrated and could use some help!

I made my food diary public. Any advice is appreciated! :smile:

Also I don't log my food one day a week as a "free day"...I don't go crazy and eat everything, I try to be as healthy as possible but I just give myself a break from counting calories.

Replies

• cpettigrew
    cpettigrew Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Diary looks fine. The only thing you could try is to cut the dairy products to your "off" day. I had too, I could drink a gallon of milk a day and not think twice. It doesn't show as high fat, but it's nothing but fat and protein.

Next, have you taken any measurements? Hips, waist, etc? I don't know anything about boot camp fitness, so I do not know what you are actually doing, although, it looks similar to 30 Day Shred. If that is the case, I would start taking measurements over the next couple weeks, and see what happens.

And feel free to add me.
  • AimeeLynn90
    AimeeLynn90 Posts: 94
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with your diary. But I definitely agree that maybe you should take some measurements to see if you're just loosing inches versus weight. How do your clothes fit? Are they still the same or are they feeling better as time progresses?

I was going to say watch out for Sodium, but taking another look at your diary you seem to be doing well on Sodium, let alone you're drinking a good enough amount of water. I say this is because when I first started I was doing so well calorie wise but didn't realize I was blowing over my Sodium intake for each day, and once I adjusted that my problem not loosing any weight has disappeared greatly, but it's just something I've noticed about my own.

Oh and by the way, I'm in Arizona too, In Mesa particularly. :)
  • Bnwhite15
    Bnwhite15 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That's a great idea I will start taking some measurements. My clothes do fit much better so I'm sure I have lost inches. I was just expecting to lose something on the scale by now.

Thank you for your input!
  • christij67
    christij67 Posts: 2
    Options
    for me, since children, the only way I truely lose fast is when I go low carb. You don't have to go 100% low carb, but I have found through some trial and error and trying several types of diets that sugar does not mix well with my losing structure. When I was your age, I had no problems having it melt off, but now that I've hit 40, it's much harder. In the last month I dropped over 10 lbs, almost all of them on days when I kept my carbs between 50 and 100g a day and limiting them to whole foods, no or little bread, pasta, rice and no sugar. If you keep your metabolism guessing by doing ultra low carb (think Atkins induction for 2-3 days) for a few days then going back to the regular 1200 calorie regimin, I find that pounds drop off a lot faster, and sometimes if it's falling off at a good clip I'll just stay there for 4 or 5 days instead if I can stand it. 5 years ago I tried Atkins and lasted 17 days on induction and lost 15 lbs. I cannot and will not do that again, I can't stand it. Way too much protein/meat.

If I were you I'd try dropping the starbucks and chocolate syrup (and anything else that has sugar in it) for a few days, and limiting your carb intake to under 100g a day and see if that helps.

You can try doing 2 eggs for breakfast instead of sugary drinks or cereal or a cereal bar, or substituting maybe an atkins meal bar instead of the other ones you use. Instead of grapes, try a fruit that has less carbs like an orange or grapefruit. Maybe for lunch a chef salad with 3-4 oz of lean turkey and a no sugar dressing like ranch or caesar. Dinner for me is usually 6 oz of a meat, 2 cups of cooked veggies and maybe another salad. I try to limit carbs after 3pm, that also seems to help.

Worst case, you try it for 3 days and nothing changes, best case, you lose a couple of pounds. You never know until you try! (and yes I'm ducking and running telling you to stop the starbucks, but maybe you could do it sugar free?)

I also try to add protein to every snack, it keeps me fuller longer.
  • mollydubs
    mollydubs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If what you're doing and what you're eating isn't currently working, try something different. I feel like every body has its own little key to losing weight. What you're doing now, just cutting/watching calories, isn't your personal key to losing weight. Try focusing on a different aspect of your diet.

You eat a lot of carbs while still staying low on calories...that kinda says to me that the foods you're choosing still aren't good foods. They're pretty empty. Try upping your protein and lowering your carbs significantly. Maybe cut out breads and pastas and coffee drinks for a week, and up greek yogurt, lean meats, pb, nuts, a little cheese, and other good protein and fats and see what happens. You'll probably lose weight.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    First of all, your dog is unbelievably cute :smile:

Considering all the exercise you're doing, you're likely not eating enough. Check out the group "Eat More to Weigh Less" here on MFP. You need to fuel your workouts.

As for sodium, MFP's limits are slightly off. The govt. lowered their recommendations for sodium intake a couple years ago to 2300mg a day for healthy adults. The limit is 1500mg a day for diabetics, African-Americans, people over 50, people with high blood pressure, and those with kidney problems.

I've seen some famous trainers recommend aiming for sodium intake of about 1500-1700 if you're at a plateau. In your case though, I would eat more. Gradually increase your calories by 100-200 calories a day for a week, and increase slowly based on the feedback you get on the scale.

Good luck!
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    The scale doesn't matter, only the pants (how they fit) do. :)
  • Bnwhite15
    Options
    for me, since children, the only way I truely lose fast is when I go low carb. You don't have to go 100% low carb, but I have found through some trial and error and trying several types of diets that sugar does not mix well with my losing structure. When I was your age, I had no problems having it melt off, but now that I've hit 40, it's much harder. In the last month I dropped over 10 lbs, almost all of them on days when I kept my carbs between 50 and 100g a day and limiting them to whole foods, no or little bread, pasta, rice and no sugar. If you keep your metabolism guessing by doing ultra low carb (think Atkins induction for 2-3 days) for a few days then going back to the regular 1200 calorie regimin, I find that pounds drop off a lot faster, and sometimes if it's falling off at a good clip I'll just stay there for 4 or 5 days instead if I can stand it. 5 years ago I tried Atkins and lasted 17 days on induction and lost 15 lbs. I cannot and will not do that again, I can't stand it. Way too much protein/meat.

If I were you I'd try dropping the starbucks and chocolate syrup (and anything else that has sugar in it) for a few days, and limiting your carb intake to under 100g a day and see if that helps.

You can try doing 2 eggs for breakfast instead of sugary drinks or cereal or a cereal bar, or substituting maybe an atkins meal bar instead of the other ones you use. Instead of grapes, try a fruit that has less carbs like an orange or grapefruit. Maybe for lunch a chef salad with 3-4 oz of lean turkey and a no sugar dressing like ranch or caesar. Dinner for me is usually 6 oz of a meat, 2 cups of cooked veggies and maybe another salad. I try to limit carbs after 3pm, that also seems to help.

Worst case, you try it for 3 days and nothing changes, best case, you lose a couple of pounds. You never know until you try! (and yes I'm ducking and running telling you to stop the starbucks, but maybe you could do it sugar free?)

I also try to add protein to every snack, it keeps me fuller longer.

Thank you so much for the tips! I am going to start cutting my carbs...and starbucks...it will be painful but it's great advice!
  • bluigirlusa
    bluigirlusa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here is what I learned on my journey...

If I used what diet calculators said I need to eat, I'd gain weight. I adjusted my calorie intake to get the results that I wanted. Now I have a great deal more to lose, so that worked for me. If I dip too low, my body will not release a pound to save me. You have got to find your perfect number. I also made the decision to remove caffeinated beverages from my diet, along with nearly all refined carbs (aka flour based items) I still eat carbs, just the veggie kind. I also do not eat any sort of sweets..if I want dessert...I grab a bowl of my favorite cereal. I do drink my water, but I add in Mio- my whole family scarfs water now...and I couldn't be more happy ;)
    I log my food, and I don't take any day off. One off plan meal with my hubby set me back nearly a week!

Because my journey will be so long, I've only taken the steps that I can do from this point forward...my always plan. I've adjusted my eating to last a lifetime. I've adjusted my exercise to fit me. I can't tell you how wonderful I feel knowing that what I created for myself is working! You will get there, I know you will! ;)

Laina
  • Bnwhite15
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I am definitely going to cut down my carbs and sugar. I will also be cutting out my starbucks coffee! Hopefully I'll see some results!

I appreciate all your support! :)
  • MichaelFunaro
    MichaelFunaro Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Up your Protein intake, cut the carbs a bit. Closer you can get to a 50/50 split on those two the better. Also, try increasing bulk of food without calories. I like to mix veggies into dishes (like pasta) to increase the size of portion and not so much the calories.

I'm a big advocate of not drinking your calories, but I admit to having my Starbucks Decaf Misto about four times a week (110 cals) so I make that exception.

I might just try cutting the carbs a bit, upping the protein and if you can cut the Starbucks to 3-4 times a week like I had to, that will help. Otherwise, your sodium could be a bit high, but not bad.

Just hang in there, keep up what you are doing for the most part, don't let the scale dictate your success.
  • fenwaysgirl
    fenwaysgirl Posts: 22
    Options
    with boot camp, you HAVE to be gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat...skip the scale and go to measurements instead.
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with what everyone's said about ignoring the scale - the year I started with weight training, I only lost 8 pounds in the ENTIRE year. Yes, I was mad! :) BUT - I managed to drop 4 clothing sizes! A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat but takes up less room on your body. Wouldn't you rather be smaller than weigh less? :)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    You don't have to drastically cut your carbs unless you have an allergy or intolerance of some sort. Now, you may want to lower them in order to make sure you get enough protein if that is an issue for you.

Take measurements. Sometimes the scale just does not move, but the inches are still dropping. Pictures to compare with are also a good choice.

Also, maybe eat more. Without exercise calories, you are only aiming for 1200 calories per day. Many people have found that eating MORE actually causes them to LOSE more.
  • jomiley23
    jomiley23 Posts: 76
    Options
    You need to read the topic under Success Stories "The Scale is a Lying Torture Device". It's VERY encouraging. Invest in your measuring tape!!!