Lifting Weights

Options
I have been steadily losing weight since January doing cardio. I know I need to add strength training and should have started a long time ago, but late is better than never, right?

Anyway, I really need to tone. I am not very strong, so I am probably starting out with 20 lbs. How many reps and sets should I do?

Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• kathrynp45
    kathrynp45 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use kettlebells 1-2 days a week. I have a 5 and 10 lb and 2 DVDs that I like. They are 45 minute workouts that are 8 reps, 3 sets.
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    How much weight to choose depends on what muscle group you are targeting. I'm starting back to lifting weights this coming MONDAY!!!

My previous schedule was as follows (if you need pics of the exercises do google images): I always stuck to 3 sets of 10 for each workout and I only did one muscle group per day.

Mondays: Chest workout
    -bench press (I prefer dumbells to the olympic bar) start with 15-20 lb dumbells depending on what is comfortable and safe for you. If you do that very easily, you might go up in weight. If you prefer a really strenuous workout ALWAYS have a spotter.
    -bench press on an incline - more of a chest/shoulders workout.
    -chest flies

Tuesdays: Legs
    -squats. These can be done with an olympic bar or dumbells. Beginers should definately start with dumbells and should either have a workout buddy or a mirror so you can see that your back is kept straight.
    - lunges (makes for a killer bottom!)
    - calf raises

Wednesday: Arms
    -Triceps: dips. use a chair and for starters your body weight will be sufficient. If you are unable to start to lift your body weight try....
    -triceps extension
    -Biceps: Curls

Thursday: Shoulders
    - Military Press
    - Lateral arm raises
    - anterior/front/straight arm raises

Friday: Back
    - dead lift
    -one arm row exercise

Hope my workout schedules helps or inspires you to create your own :happy:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I have been steadily losing weight since January doing cardio. I know I need to add strength training and should have started a long time ago, but late is better than never, right?

Anyway, I really need to tone. I am not very strong, so I am probably starting out with 20 lbs. How many reps and sets should I do?

Thanks for any advice.

The resistance should be different, depending on the exercise and the muscle groups. Initially, I would concentrate on developing proper form and learning to "feel" the target muscle groups in the exercise.

For most people, choosing a weight that you can lift at least 12 times with proper form, but not more than 15, is a good starting point. You don't have to work to complete failure at first, just to the point where it would be difficult to continue while maintaining proper form.

At the beginning 1 or 2 sets is enough. Numerous studies have shown that, initially, there is no difference in gains between those who do 1 set and those who do 3 or more. I usually recommend 2 because often beginners choose the wrong weight for the first set or because the first set acts almost as a warm up.

There is no benefit to experiencing excessive soreness when starting a routine. You won't get into shape any faster by beating yourself up in the first few weeks--it will just hurt more. There is nothing wrong in the beginning with walking away feeling like you could have done a little bit more. As I said, it is crucial that in the beginning you concentrate on learning proper form and technique.

If the weight feels easier (i.e. you feel you could do more than 15 repetitions) increase the weight, not the reps. Doing 20 reps is not better than 15--it is better to increase the weight so that you still are reaching the limit between 12 and 15 reps.

Once you feel comfortable, you can up the intensity so that you are "maxing out" somewhere between 8 and 12 reps. I would look for that to occur sometime between 6 and 12 workouts. After that amount of time, you can also decide if you want to increase your volume to 3 sets.

I would also recommend that you start with the basic traditional exercises (bench press, squats, etc) before moving on to anything more complicated. It takes awhile to develop some muscle awareness so that you can consciously work targeted groups, maintain proper form and posture, etc. Those abilities will serve you well if you decide to move into more advanced routines.