any vegetarians out there?

Options
I'm a vegetarian (for over 3 years), but i have a huge problem.. i love sweets, and junk food. im currently at 145. and im 5'5. which is not so bad but i would love to slim down just a bit. maybe 20 lb. any advice for a vegetarian? =)

Replies

• leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I used to be vegetarian. Without knowing what you are eating, it's hard to say what would help. Personally, I was uber thin when I was vegetarian mostly because I didn't eat hardly any junk food. If you can change to low-cal, low-fat popcorn over chips that would help. If you can use brown rice over white rice, that would help. I also ate a lot of baked potatoes as my main dinner staple. Potato with cheese and spicy beans, potato with sour cream and tofu, potato with mixed veggies and a oriental sauce.

But my absolute fav used to be black bean and corn burgers with hot sauce on a bun. Yummy!!

Lisa
  • gooniejane
    gooniejane Posts: 2
    Options
    i actually have some black bean and corn burgers(delsol brand). =)
  • mollydubs
    mollydubs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    try throwing away the sweets and junk foods in your house. then don't buy more. I also find that if I pack a lunch or have one ready to go in the fridge, I'm less likely to eat something else that might be crappy. It feels like a waste of food and money not to eat the good stuff you planned on eating!
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    try throwing away the sweets and junk foods in your house. then don't buy more. I also find that if I pack a lunch or have one ready to go in the fridge, I'm less likely to eat something else that might be crappy. It feels like a waste of food and money not to eat the good stuff you planned on eating!

This! If you don't buy it, you can't be tempted to eat it! Over time (a lot less time than you think) you'll stop having those crazy cravings for it. You'll learn to enjoy the healthy foods you replaced them with more. Give yourself a month without it and adjust, you'll be surprised.

Treat sweets or junk as a much more occasional thing. Instead of buying a box of cookies, pick up a single fresh-baked cookie from the bakery at the grocery store. Try not to eat the whole thing in one meal, save half for tomorrow. Also, you can eat more fruit. Maybe try smoothies? I have a smoothie almost every day, usually for breakfast. It's practically a dessert to me by now. =D
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I agree - if it's not staring you in the face, it's much less tempting. I have the same problem, so if I don't want to eat it, I simply don't keep it around. I also forced myself to eat more fruit for a while, and now I look forward to it.