Home baked goods

Options
How do people on here deal with home baked goods in terms of adding them into their plans?

How do you calculate how many calories etc are in a slice?

Replies

• beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    If you made it yourself you go to "food" then "recipes" and create a new recipe, putting in the ingredients and quantities and how many servings it makes. Then you can just add a serving of "chocolate cake" or whatever you've made. If it's a relative or friend's cake you could get the recipe and do the same thing. If it's bought at a bake sale or similar you'll have to try to find something similar in the database and do the best estimate you can.
  • kami89
    kami89 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yup, exactly what Beattie said! I just did it with Banana bread yesterday. The section asks you how many you want the recipe to serve, I chose 12, and it gives you the total intake for the recipe, and also splits it up into portion sizes. Very effective!
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    It works for anything you cook yourself - just tot up the ingredients, fill in how many servings it makes, and away you go. If you save it, it's there to add another serving the next day, or for the next time you make it. If you vary the recipe next time, you can click on the dish name, change the ingredients / servings and you're ready to add it to that day's food diary. It's a really good feature of the website. I cook from scratch most nights & use it often.
    Bon appetit! ¡Buen apetito! yISop!
  • mail704m
    mail704m Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I too use the recipe function, it allows for nutritional breakdown/tracking as well. I think it's excellent and have about 4 pages of recipes that we use frequently. beattie1's points are all very valid.

The other option is to look up "homemade carrot muffin" or whatever, and see if someone has added them to the database. Then decide if that's close enough for you.