Lower abdominal exercies that work?

Does anyone have a lower ab exercise that works well? I have been busting my butt with very slow results.
Suggestions???

Replies

• cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Transverse crunches have been amazing for me. I deal with that mommy pooch and its gone way down in 2 weeks. You lay on you back bend your legs at a 90 degree angle in the air and exhale as you draw your legs to your tummy just enough to lift your bum off the ground. Inhale as you go back to starting position and repeat :)
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Leg lifts!! If you have one of those pull-up bars. If you don't have one, just do it on the floor. It's even better if you have someone push your legs down (while you're lying with your back on the floor, legs straight up in the air, and someone pushes them down when they're standing behind you) and you have to keep your legs from hitting the floor.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    While hanging from a bar, perform toe to bar raises.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Try incorporating Tae Bo Insane Abs into your routine.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Trying to work on your lower abs is like trying to work on your lower biceps or lower calf muscle. It's not worth your time. Just do good ab work. If your ego doesn't like this then do reverse crunches or knee raises or anything you can youtube or any of the above suggestions if you want to sweat and "feel the burn" but it's not going to do more for your lower abs or pouch than crunches with your knees at 90degrees. Your abs are the only major set of muscles that attach to another muscle instead of two ends of a bone, so it's really hard to work them more then they are used to, and if you do, they don't respond much, and are you feedin them what they need or slightly under that?(i.e. fat loss) Good full body supported work like, yes, proper squats, deadlifts, rows, etc, and their variations is what you need. If anyone can anatomically explain how lower ab work makes a stomach area smaller, I'd be game to hear it. Otherwise, it's a fat loss issue... do real work, kick some *kitten* in your workout if you're not doing that already. A lower ab "pooch" is very feminine....just not in todays aesthetic societies. It's feminine due to some issues with estrogen and things called Alpha receptors and other long draw out issues. What you and most other women don't understand is that you're asking for more testosterone...so don't workout "like a girl" for lack of better words, and don't eat "like a girl." Otherwise, you've got quite a few new exercise moves if you look at all of the suggestions. I mean hang from a bar, and raise you toes to the bar...yea that sounds like something most women can pull off...right before they qualify for the olympic trials. Anecdotes of what someone else did obviously can stand to waste time and add confusion, but that's the fitness industry...a big bowl of unscientifically studied heavily opinionated nothingness. If you need to lose fat, it's a caloric deficit issue. Yours could be too much or not enough, or not enough protein and proper fat for a decent metabolic shift(quite common). Otherwise, doing ab work, you're trying to do something anabolic(muscle building or "toning" as many like to call it) on a caloric deficit which is like pushing a rope uphill. You can't eat 25% fewer calories than you need and expect some muscle group to pull the proper nutrition for a change out of thin air. If you're not trying to lose weight. then eat at or above maintenance by 2 to 300 calories or so and do bust *kitten* weight training by about the same amount or 30 to 45 minutes. The latter is the most efficient approach. However, since most trainers don't have a clue...you're back at square one! Sorry
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Full squats; heavy weight.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Best exercise on the planet. However, if one has not been very well trained on proper squats, anatomically, I don't recommend it.
  • Jazz97cazz
    Jazz97cazz Posts: 2
    I think that the only lower ab excersise that works for me is walking out of the kitchen!