New... how to even begin.

Options
So i joined earlier today because I'm tired of telling myself I'm going to change and not doing anything about it. I'd like to lose 20-30 pounds before i go back to school in the fall, and really, I'd like to get to the point where I can run a 5k and eat healthy. I don't want to eat sweets in the mass that I eat them right now. But as I say this, I just finished eating a bit of cookie dough, and I'm realizing I'm not very good at sticking to commitments.I need help.
So i could really use help. I don't really know how this site works, but i'd love some accountability and support!

Replies

• dawnsunnie
    dawnsunnie Posts: 1
    Options
    You can do it, the app means I am accountable, it is easy to use and pretty soon I will be in my slum clothes! I wish you all the best.
    ;-) x
  • jaireed
    jaireed Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I started MFP a little over two months ago. I needed to lose 20-30 pounds and so far I have lost 22 lbs! I start with 1 day at a time! Encourge yourself to do well, and accept responsibility when you don't. Log every single thing you eat! Try working out everyday for a short period of time. Something that you know you can do. I started walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes a day at 3mph, because I knew I could do it without hating it. I work out an hour a day now on a high incline going 3.5 mph. The first 30 min I do, because I need to, the other half an hour I do just for myself. I tell myself "This is for me!" It seems to help me. Find pals that log in every day and friend them. Hold each other accountable and provide encouragement. I find the more encouragement I give, the more I praise myself and the choices I make. You can add me if you like! When you're down read the success stories, they always amaze me. Find foods that are healthy and that you like. I eat fat free greek yogurt and fruit almost everyday and I love it. Start weighing and measuring your food. You will be surprised what a difference it makes! This site is a great! Wiish you loads of happiness and success on your journey!
  • WhiteCloud9
    WhiteCloud9 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Your goals are the same as mine! Feel free to add me as a friend to help you with staying motivated. It's much better having people cheer you on, even when you've ate poorly or didn't want to exercise. Plus you can get so much information and ideas to help you in your journey.
  • armoredcore
    armoredcore Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    you just took the first step, congrats. Now its time for the next.
  • boocah
    boocah Posts: 7
    Options
    Hey, have you heard of the Couch to 5k running program? It aims to get you running 5k in 9 weeks. I'm only on Week 1 but I'm finding it's a small enough amount of exercise to motivate myself to do it each time. :)

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • brent4722
    brent4722 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You've taken the first step by signing up on the site. I'm guessing you'll find plenty of suppoer here but ultimately you have to "want it". I started months ago but it wasn't until last month I decided I was going to give up fast food. I'm just past 30 days. That wasn't much because most the time I still gorged on anything I could, lol. I am just over a week of serious commitment to my calorie intake. It takes time and some practice but I don't mind saying in a short time this site and the mobile app have sonsumed me...or should I say have made me and keep me aware. Good luck!
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Mmmporkrinds Posts: 192
    Options
    For me the first step was logging everything. I'd suggest experimenting with the food diary to see how it works - try searching for food that you've had and log it, and play with your settings so you can see what kind of information you can track in the diary (eg carbs, sugar, fibre, sodium, fat etc). I learned a lot from reviewing my food diary, trying to be objective about it and working out where my extra calories came from.
  • alltacht
    alltacht Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Good luck, you can do it :) I was amazed how after a few months I wouldnt even crave sweets the same way I used to. I stll crave something but your body changes I think.. its like I would now feel really sick if I used to eat like I did, which is a good thing! Log everything it really helps x
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

My experience is this - I joined MFP pretty late in the weightloss stage (I'm on that 'last difficult few pounds'), but it's made a huge difference to me.

Logging keeps me accountable; I'm an ex-binge eater and whilst I don't binge daily like I used to, I succumb every few weeks or so. Having to log it makes me stop and think: "do I want the shame, ordinarily private, to be public?"

It's helped. I still binge, but in smaller amounts and less frequently. I log my 'off' days (like yesterday, which was a social day) and survey the damage and work out how much exercise will work it off. MFP gives me solid numbers, which are much easier to work to than a vague idea.

Good luck! x
  • emmalecras
    emmalecras Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Begin at the beginning and start logging everything that you eat, drink and do.

I have always given up on things easy but it has been 4 months for me and I am addicted to MFP. I am now accountable for everything that I do and can clearly see where something you think is small can make a huge difference.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You can do it, the app means I am accountable, it is easy to use and pretty soon I will be in my slum clothes! I wish you all the best.
    ;-) x

I'm gathering that should be 'slim' clothes!! :D

Congrats on taking the first step and coming onboard! This is one of the best tools you could have to help keep you on track - it's worked for me anyway :)
  • iwantthissomuch
    Options
    thanks, all these posts are so encouraging!
  • StGerm
    StGerm Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can do it - you got it.

Best of luck to you
  • dawnljuneau
    dawnljuneau Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    it is great isn't it. First thing i did was invest in sneakers and a good sports bra!
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Best way to stick with a diet. Do it for 2 weeks. FORCE yourself to do it for 2 weeks. Then your body is use to it...I had "bad" food this weekend and I felt sick to my stomach. Now I know its not good to eat it. Exercise...man I miss it on my rest days now.
  • blueye17
    blueye17 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    congrats for signing up. I have been on here for a few weeks and I simply enjoy this site. It makes me accountable to myself. It keeps me encouraged. I am reminded why I am doing this every time I sign on. I am changing my lifestyle to become healthy, and the weight will come off. I am excited to be a part of such a great community of people changing their lives. :flowerforyou:
  • shaylynn30
    shaylynn30 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey, I just joined MFP. I am in desperate need to lose weight. I moved about a year ago and have gained almost 30 pounds. I have decided to take charge of my life and lose the weight. I need someone to be a weightloss buddy?
  • hollymurphy4
    hollymurphy4 Posts: 122
    Options
    Congratulations on taking the first step! Feel free to add me as a friend. Over the summer will be on here often and can offer support. However, in the fall, I will be very busy with school (working on my RN degree) so I won't be on as often. Good luck!
  • ltupola
    ltupola Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You can add me, when I started a little over a month ago, I was the same way.... I just wanted to be healthy. Being accountable for everything you put in your mouth has helped me so much! I also want to run a 5k soon, and have worked up to about a mile and a half so far... So if I can, anyone can. Good luck in everything you hope to accomplish!!
  • yabba45
    yabba45 Posts: 35
    Options
    welcome, this is a great site and its helping me. Feel free to add me...I wish you the best