Heavy lifting and cardio. Really bad?

Options
Tigermad
Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
Hello

I have been doing Chalean extreme for just over a week now. I do this at 5am on most mornings. 3 mornings are heavy lifting circuits and 2 days are cardio workouts.

I also go the the gym 3 times a week and do some elliptical work, rowing, spinning etc for an hour each time. This is around 6pm. 2 of the days are the evenings on the same days as the heavy lifting and the other one is on a rest day.

Is it totally defeating the object of the heavy lifting doing all this cardio? Am I doing more harm than good?

The problem I have is that I have to go to the gym at least 2 of the evenings because I pick my husband up from work and we go together which is local to his work. Plus I like it. I can't afford afford to waste car fuel picking hubby up after training since the gym is nowhere near home and there is no way for him to get back.

Should I just skip the chalean programme and start Nrolfw now? I was going to do extreme for 90 days and then start Nrolfw. The bonus with Nrolfw is that I can actually do this whilst t the gym. I don't fancy doing the chalean one at the gym because I like to follow the video.

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's really a correct answer to your question. It all depends on your goals. It sounds like overall you're doing 8 workouts a week, 3 weights and 5 cardio sessions. This seems like a lot to me personally but if you can handle it, more power to you. If you're more interested in improving/maintaining your cardio then keep doing cardio as the bulk of your workouts. If you're more interested in being stronger/building muscle, switch to more weight training. Most people seem to recommend 3-5 days of heavy lifting a week for maximal results, so you're in the range. You do need proper recovery time especially if you're doing heavy compound lifts as you should be. Regardless of what you choose I wouldn't do all 8 weekly sessions as weight lifting, that's a good recipe for getting hurt or overtraining. Maybe convert a session or two over to weight lifting and see how your progress goes?
  • cabg6
    cabg6 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    All due respect but, are you JOKING?! I should be coming to you for advice!
    Keep going the way you are unless you are in some pain.
    Great job!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I don't think Chalean Extreme can be considered "heavy lifting". It's more of a cardio-based program with lighter weights (not knocking it, just stating the facts). It sounds to me you are doing a LOT of cardio. Excessive cardio whittles away what muscle you have, so my suggestion would be drop 3 of the cardio workouts (at least) and replace them with a true lifting routine like New Rules of Lifting. I think you will see faster results this way...I saw almost instant results from the program and I was already an intermediate lifter.
  • Tigermad
    Options
    I don't think Chalean Extreme can be considered "heavy lifting". It's more of a cardio-based program with lighter weights (not knocking it, just stating the facts). It sounds to me you are doing a LOT of cardio. Excessive cardio whittles away what muscle you have, so my suggestion would be drop 3 of the cardio workouts (at least) and replace them with a true lifting routine like New Rules of Lifting. I think you will see faster results this way...I saw almost instant results from the program and I was already an intermediate lifter.

Thanks for the replies

Chalean extreme is 3 days of heavy weights and 2 days cardio. Not barbells or anything but very heavy dumbells. It's not a cardio based programme.

Will start reading my new rules of lifting book to tomorrow and think about swapping over to that.
  • nyspotlight
    nyspotlight Posts: 124
    Options

I wonder if you're thinking of Turbo Fire? CE is a weights program with HEAVY weights. Whatever heavy is for you.

To the OP: I'm just not sure the other cardio in necessary.

Maybe sleep in during the CE cardio days and use the gym days to do your own HIIT workouts at the gym? Then you'll get enough sleep to repair those muscles.
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Chalean Extreme IS heavy weights.

OP - I did C25K with Chalean Extreme and got awesome results - did my AM run, then back to the house to lift weights. I did longer cardio (45-60 mins) on my "recovery" days. And I'm still alive to talk about it. ;) If you feel fine and not burnt out, then go for it!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    OP. you've lost 83 pounds.

whatever you're doing is WORKING!

but to answer your question. i'm doing both and not having any issues. i lift 3 days a week and do 60 minutes of cardio on non lifting days and 15-30 minutes on the lifting days. i'm still getting good strength gains.

i'm also doing nrol4w
  • Tigermad
    Options
    I really appreciate all your replies folks:-)

I have decided to take the advice by nyspotlight (thanks!).

I have moved the days of my workouts so I am no longer doing lifting and cardio on the same days. I am now going to go to the gym on both the extreme cardio days and on 1 of the rest days if I feel like it :-) That way I don't have to get up at 5am so often.

I have started to read NROLFW now so maybe when I have finished that I may fancy changing over after all before the end of the current programme.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Heavy weight training isn't determined by the amount of weight, it's determined by the number of sets and reps. If I recall, Challeen is what...12 reps or so? How many sets?

I'm sorry, but that's not really heavy weight training...I don't care how 'heavy' the weights seem to you.

If you can lift them more than 5-8 times in one set, you're moving into other areas of weight training entirely. Those being either body building, or endurance training.
  • Tigermad
    Options
    Heavy weight training isn't determined by the amount of weight, it's determined by the number of sets and reps. If I recall, Challeen is what...12 reps or so? How many sets?

I'm sorry, but that's not really heavy weight training...I don't care how 'heavy' the weights seem to you.

If you can lift them more than 5-8 times in one set, you're moving into other areas of weight training entirely. Those being either body building, or endurance training.

It's 12 times in the burn phase but gets less as you go to the different phases. You are allowed to fail at 10 though in the burn phase. Plus it's 1 set only.
  • pyro2uk
    pyro2uk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Do not stop doing the weights if you're healthy enough to do them. Larger, denser muscle is generated by weight training. The denser and larger your muscles, the more calories they burn at rest.
    Cardio pays off in the shorter term (i.e. during the exercise and for a period after, depending on intensity). Doing what you're doing sounds great, but I would be careful about rest times. All of the stuff I said above about muscle growth depends on the time for your muscles to adapt. Most information out in the world suggests 24 to 48 hr rests between weight routines. I would also agree that long periods of cardio can slow muscle growth (look at long distance runners - incredible athletes; no more muscle than is necessary to run efficiently), so make sure you balance your goals with the right exercise balance.

With your early starts, I would just make sure you get a decent amount of sleep. That 24-48 hr rest period is based on you getting a minimum amount of sleep, usually recommended as 8 hrs.
    I always recommend dietician advice when doing a programme like yours, as well. You will have nutrition requirements greater than a casual exerciser and a dietician can help you work our what you need.

However, as an exercise junkie, I am thoroughly impressed. You sound like an athlete.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    There are different phases with CHX, the idea is you fail at , generally, between 6 and 12 reps. You lift as heavy as you can, so I would call it heavy lifting yes.

you only do one set of each particular exercise but each session focuses on a particular muscle group so you might do several slightly different shoulder exercises in one session.

It isn't classic 5x5 / barbell lifting by any means but that doesn't mean it isn't heavy lifting of a kind.
  • debzeeU2
    debzeeU2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    When I had a gym membership, I had a workout routine on the machines set by a trainer- I did that 3x a week and swim laps and/or walk on treadmill 2x a week. I had great results- probably more due to the weights and swimming. You have lost a lot of weight so you seem to know what's working for you so continue with your method. :)