Embarassment with shopping?

Options
So I have lost quite a bit of weight since I started this journey and one of my goals was to fit into clothing in a specific section of the store. I have managed to do so, though I only fit the largest size in that section. However I cannot seem to make myself shop in that section if there are other obviously skinnier women in that section. I feel like I do not belong there and that other people will somehow know this just by looking. Has anyone else dealt with this?

Replies

• wonderwomanwannaB
    Options
    yes. and unfortunately, I still do, and I'm a medium.
  • majordlite
    majordlite Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Well, bless your heart! Sweetie, as someone who has been one of the skinnier women years ago, I can assure you that I didn't notice anyone else who might have been shopping there, at least with regard as to whether or not they "belonged" there. Truly, I think/know we judge ourselves so much more harshly than others do, and I'm sorry that's what's happening with you. You just go into that section with pride in yourself and buy some lovely clothes to celebrate your awesomeness and success.
  • cmwhited6204
    cmwhited6204 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Although it can be tough to be in stores where you are at the top of the size range, that is not your issue. You need to step back and be proud of your accomplishments. You have lost a great deal of weight and if you mentally do not start to feel you deserve to be in whatever part of the store you WANT to be in you will never be comfortable. Who gives a crap what other sizes are there. It takes hard work and personal motivation to do what you have done with your weight and that is all that you should care about. Stand and shop proud for you definately deserve it. Skinny, Thin, or certain sizes never give confience, that comes from the qualities you are displaying in your weight loss. Good luck with the rest of your journey and BE PROUD.
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You just go into that section with pride in yourself and buy some lovely clothes to celebrate your awesomeness and success.
    ^^^ This.

I have a somewhat different situation in that even though I am relatively tall (5'7"), petite tops fit me better because I have a small bone structure (the shoulders on "regular" tops just droop on me and the bust is always wrong). A couple of times, sales people have asked me if I am lost as I'm wandering about the petite section : -) I just shrug it off. My attitude is that bodies come in all shapes and sizes and you should shop where you want to shop. Have fun!!!
  • danag1967
    danag1967 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    No matter what size I'm in, I don't ever look at anyone else in the store and wonder why they are shopping in any section. I understand the body image problems. I have them, too, but no one else sees you the way you see yourself. Most people are too busy and self absorbed (myself included) to care what anyone else is doing at Kohls or Macy's or wherever you shop. I'm looking for that perfect outfit and as usual, I only buy about 1% of what I try on. When I'm clothes shopping, I'm just hoping I can find something, anything I like enough to buy. I probably won't even see you unless you talk to me. So SHOP!! Have fun! Don't worry about anyone else.
  • jessiewise827
    Options
    Be proud that you've gotten there, and that you're gonna make it farther. My boyfriend took me shopping after I lost weight, and I thought I still wore a large and was gonna be embarrassed.. But I was surprised because I could wear most mediums and some smalls even. There were tiny girls in there, but I didn't let it bother me, because I could fit into some of the clothes and was proud of it. :)
  • majones_orl
    majones_orl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You need to think, hey I am worth it, I has worked hard, and I know I look good.
  • jmb909090
    jmb909090 Posts: 5
    Options
    The good news for you is that so many people are so self-centered that they are not focused on you - they're focused on themselves (I work in consumer research for a retailer). As such, shop with gusto and enjoy your success. Also, remember that all manufacturers cut their products using different fit models which results in a miserable size shopping experience for the vast majority of American women. So feel secure knowing that everyone feels insecure - the research shows it over and over again, no matter the size of the person in question.
  • FearLessNess1
    Options
    I still feel this way and I now take a medium and and am a size 8. I still feel like that 255lb person.
  • dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Having lost nearly 40lb i have reduced my sizes through about 4 dress sizes - i used to think people would laugh at me if i brought smaller clothes and for quite a while i used to try on clothes far too big for me as i didnt want to take smaller clothes into the changing room

I used online order service for a while till i got my confidence up (try on in the comfort of your own home)

Diane
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Never ever let anyone dictate (even if it is only in your own head) where you shop or what you spend your money on. You have every right to shop where you want, how you want. Be proud, hold your head up and enjoy your success. :flowerforyou:
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    What everybody else said.
    Besides I bet you're not the only person in that section that has lost weight thinking that exact same thing. Those around you are prob. either too focused on the shopping task at hand or worried that other people are judging them.

Buy cloths that fit you now, show off the weight loss! :flowerforyou: