Help please! 2kg up on yesterday!

Options
I weigh myself daily at the same time and keep the scales in the same place every day... today I am up 2 kg (5lbs) on yesterday... I have been sticking rigidly to the calorie count..

I also weigh myself 3 times in a row to make sure the scales are saying the same each time... I know the scales are accurate as they are digital and someone else uses them!

Any ideas??

Replies

• fatpaddler1
    Options
    Hi, I suggest you don't weigh yourself every day due to water content etc your weight will fluctuate I have gained as much as 6lb in one night
    John
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    It's definately nothing to worry about. As fatpaddler1 said, out bodies fluctuate quite a bit in terms of the water we carry. This can be affected by our carbohydrate intake, exercise, water consumption and hormonal changes.

There's not way you gained 2kgs of fat in a day, it's not possible. Remember that a kg of fat is 7700 Calories ABOVE maintenance.

There's nothing wrong with taking your weight each day, but you have to bear in mind that this can happen and not get disheartened. What you really want to do is keep track of the trend of your weight. Peaks or troughs should be ignored and the overall downward trend is what you are looking for.

Again, don't worry, this is entirely normal.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    You can fluctuate a few kgs. One day I was 64, the next 61. i dont think its a good idea for you to weigh daily. Just do it once a week otherwise its gonna mess with your head. What you are wanting to see is the monthly average over time!
  • livbellamybrown
    Options
    Thanks... i really was baffled... I totally understand where people say don't weigh yourself every day... but after many many failed attempts in the past the only way to keep my head in the game this time is by weighing in daily to remind myself of how far i have to go as well as how far I have come...

If i skip a day so does my motivation!
  • EllieMo
    EllieMo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    There are so many variants that affecting weight that on a daily basis weight can go up or down by a few lb. It's therefore generally accepted that weighing daily is not a good idea. Don't start stressing yet, see how you are doing over a week or a month and if you are following your plan, you should see a general trend toward weighloss.

Good luck :)
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Thanks... i really was baffled... I totally understand where people say don't weigh yourself every day... but after many many failed attempts in the past the only way to keep my head in the game this time is by weighing in daily to remind myself of how far i have to go as well as how far I have come...

If i skip a day so does my motivation!

I see you have around 70 kg to lose. This may take you a couple of years to do or more.

It took me 2 years to lose 31 kg and I'm nearly at goal weight. I did it slowly so as to retain my muscle mass. The scale was always a source of frustration for me so I've been religiously taking measurements, taking photos, body fat %. Not just focussing on the scale. When the scale wasn't budging (and it happened all the time lol) I went by how my clothes fit and the comments people were giving me. Even though I have only lost 1 kg in the past 6 months I have become so much thinner. People think I've lost a lot more than 1kg. If I haven't seen someone in a couple of months they say they can tell i'm getting thinner. (even if the scale hasn't moved)

I'm glad I found other ways to motivate me because if the scale was the only method I would've given up ages ago. Its demotivated me and led to nothing but frustration. I kept persisting though and eventually the scale would move again. Sometimes it wouldn't move for weeks or months at a time even though I was losing heaps of fat!

How about finding another motivation such as tracking the exercise you do each day and recording your achievements!

good luck! you can do it! :)
  • emmalecras
    emmalecras Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I can easily fluctuate 2kg in a day. Used to stress me out but have come to accept that it is part of life.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I also measure myself once a week as another guide to use. I know some of the workouts I do are designed to build muscle which will weigh more than fat so that although I might put on weight I will be getting smaller.

You can buy a body tape for around £4 online.
  • livbellamybrown
    Options
    What's a body tape?

:)
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Let me give you a different take on the daily weighing: I like to weigh in daily (even several times a day) as I learn a lot about myself, the scale, etc. - as you just found out too. Although you will have questions when you see stuff you begin to understand and think about the previous day and can usually assign why they scale took that big jump up or down. You also become less sensitive to the way it swings around during the day or day-to-day.

Conversely, if you were a "once a week" weigh in person and happened to step on the scale yesterday when you were up due to what ever reason - imagine how de-motivating that would have been for a week of what you thought would be a loss? And there you are seeing a gain which in reality was likely just water.

Learn to use the scale as a tool for telling you far more than your weight and it can tell you a lot about your life - but also tie in other things like a tape measure, clothes fitting, etc.

Don't fear the scale - understand it.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate your maintenace + 15000 calories yesterday, it will go away - just a fluctuation.
  • EmilyDuby
    EmilyDuby Posts: 67
    Options
    I really agree with this here! I weigh daily and it has been a great thing for me for these same reasons.
    Let me give you a different take on the daily weighing: I like to weigh in daily (even several times a day) as I learn a lot about myself, the scale, etc. - as you just found out too. Although you will have questions when you see stuff you begin to understand and think about the previous day and can usually assign why they scale took that big jump up or down. You also become less sensitive to the way it swings around during the day or day-to-day.

Conversely, if you were a "once a week" weigh in person and happened to step on the scale yesterday when you were up due to what ever reason - imagine how de-motivating that would have been for a week of what you thought would be a loss? And there you are seeing a gain which in reality was likely just water.

Learn to use the scale as a tool for telling you far more than your weight and it can tell you a lot about your life - but also tie in other things like a tape measure, clothes fitting, etc.

• uk_ja
    uk_ja Posts: 143 Member
    Options

This
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm up about 4 pounds from the weekend. Probably sodium and water retention from hormonal stuff. Drink lots of water!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    What's a body tape?

:)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Accu-Measure-MyoTape-Body-Tape/dp/B000G7YW7Y

It is just like a normal measuring tape but has a shaped handle so its easier to measure yourself.
  • emmalou2206
    emmalou2206 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    HI, I know how you feel about this, last week I was within my calorie goal everyday and got delivery of my cross trainer on Saturday so started using that now. On Sunday I did 30 minutes cross trainer and a 15 mile walk (took 5 hours), I weighed myself on Sunday night and on Monday morning I was 2.5lbs heavier. I usually way less in a morning than a night and there is no way I ate 8750 extra calories in my sleep, lol.

I told myself it is water retention but still not happy about what the scales say.

Stick with it :)
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    If you WANT to weigh yourself every day like I do, I suggest looking at a 10 day average weight (average the scale readings for the the past 10 days, each day). This smooths out all the water/glycogen/waste/fat loss/muscle gain and gives you a steady indication of where you are going..

You still see the ups and downs of your daily weight, but overall you will see you are on track to your goal!

You cannot get depressed about 1 scale reading though... Example I ran 13 miles in the past 2 days and gained 2 pounds (says the scale) while maintaining a good diet?! Not possible at all! My average has me still losing that .2 pounds I am expecting every day!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I really agree with this here! I weigh daily and it has been a great thing for me for these same reasons.

I third this. I've gone through phases where I weigh myself once a day, and phases where I weigh myself once a month. Nothing wrong with either, just understand what's going on.

In the summer I will weigh myself before and after a run to help understand my hydration situation. Biggest change once: 10 lbs.
  • bernicesmission
    Options
    so glad i found this thread this happened to me this morning and i nearly lost it, ive been working so hard and exercising and was almost ready to give up,but after reading this i feel so much better thankyou!
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    did you eat salt or sodium (more than usual?) I am so snesitive as I eat little I have gained 2lbs of water overnight before.