male or female personal trainer?

Options
Hey! I know that the majority of you will probably say male personal trainer just because I feel like there are more males than females. But have any of you worked with a female personal trainer? Or better yet has anyone worked with both? Do you think that gender makes a difference? Or is it all just the personality of the individual?

I have my first ever session with a personal trainer this evening and it is with a woman named Jenny. I first I thought I would prefer to work with and female but now I'm not so sure. It may just be my nerves in general though....

Also, any thoughts on what I should look for with this first session? The gym says they want to make sure whoever I am with is a good match and so if I don't feel comfortable they will switch me to a new trainer and give me another session free. I just want to make sure I am with the right one!

Replies

• Samstudent88
    Samstudent88 Posts: 135
    Options
    I don't know, but in school I find Female teachers to be more strict and down right mean. Males seem to be more laid back?
  • Dozrzz
    Dozrzz Posts: 245
    Options
    That is true. I remember in Middle School, I liked my male PE teacher more than my female one. But that was because my female teacher wouldn't fall for the tricks we use to try to pull to get out of PE like my male teacher would! hahaha Like if you go up to my male PE teacher back then and said "I'm having female troubles this week" we could sit out of PE. Female teachers would never by that! hahaha
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why a trainer would be better or worse just because of their gender.

I appreciate that some people may be more comfortable with one or the other, but really you should select your personal trainer based on their ability, training, expertise and whether you get on with them, not on whether they are male or female.
  • Amber86queenbee
    Options
    I've only trained with females but not by deliberately going for females - I'm onto my 3rd trainer as I upgraded to a body builder/ someone who had been in the fitness industry for a long time. I think it is more about their experience, knowledge base and skill and to an extent clicking with their personality rather than the gender. You need someone to push you more than you think you can go but in a positive way.

Some females may prefer training with females and others only like training with males - it is going to be what you feel comfortable with.

Focus on getting lots of info on form, ask heaps of questions and why she wants you to do particular exercises or what to do by yourself. A good trainer will be focused on your goals so she should be asking you questions on that and adjusting to suit you and your level. And don't be afraid to swap trainers even later on as you are paying the $ and need to make sure it is working for you.

Have fun :tongue:
  • Dozrzz
    Options
    I agree. But I am also asking whether other MFPs feel more comfortable with males or females? When I searched the forums I saw several posts where they said they prefer to work with males. I am just trying to see why...
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I have found good and bad in both. You have to find what you fit with personality wise and with what your goals are. Good luck.
  • jinjin8
    jinjin8 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have had both male and female PTs. My current one is a male.

I think it's about finding someone whose "style" works for you - whether they are male or female. I look for someone who makes me feel comfortable and at ease but at the same time, motivating and making me work freakin' hard.
  • Dozrzz
    Options

Some females may prefer training with females and others only like training with males - it is going to be what you feel comfortable with.

Yeah...I wish I knew which one I would feel more comfortable with before I got in there! hahaha I think I'm just really nervous in general. The whole gym anxiety thing and all that...
  • chubbybuddha101
    Options
    I train with a female trainer, and am good friends with several personal trainers. I have found through talking to trainers and friends who have had trainers that generally speaking girls get better results with girls. I think part of it is if you say you can't do something, another female will have less pity on you, or know if your bluffing just to get out of it. Iknow there are exceptions to every rule, and I have had a few sessions with male trainers that kicked my butt, but I will keep going to female trainers if I can find them.
  • Dozrzz
    Options
    I train with a female trainer, and am good friends with several personal trainers. I have found through talking to trainers and friends who have had trainers that generally speaking girls get better results with girls. I think part of it is if you say you can't do something, another female will have less pity on you, or know if your bluffing just to get out of it. Iknow there are exceptions to every rule, and I have had a few sessions with male trainers that kicked my butt, but I will keep going to female trainers if I can find them.

Thanks! That makes me feel better!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I'd feel more comfortable with a female trainer. Men make me nervous. That is just me though...I am this shy and awkward person...lol That being said, there are some women that make me feel equally uncomfortable... They have to have a certain personality that matches mine.
  • reallyregina
    reallyregina Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've had both. It really depends on the person. My favorite was a woman. She was an ex body builder but went with my goals not her own. I had a different woman later but she could care less about my goals and her workouts were way under my fitness level at the time. She also freaked out on me when I told her I had a cup of coffee one day.

If I have a male trainer I don't want him to be attractive. I'm there to workout and I don't want to be distracted or feel self conscious.
  • dmf80
    dmf80 Posts: 60
    Options
    I think the most important thing is choosing a personal trainer is choosing someone who has the body you hope to obtain. With that said, my preference would be a male (since I'm not trying to look like a woman).
  • Roeri011
    Roeri011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I got a free assessment at the gym I joined and I just took the first available trainer time that worked for me. It was a male trainer and turned out to be a really good fit and I bought a package. I like that I spend my sessions in the weight room - a room I only poked my head in during the tour. I am now more comfortable in the weight room and even venture in there all by myself :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I personally would never go with a female trainer. I don't get along well with the female population anyway, and if I had one trying to tell me what to do, it prob. wouldn't end well. Plus the ones at my gym are just little pieces of fluff.. nice to look at, but don't really do much.

I'm currently on my third male trainer, and I like him a lot. He listens and cares but at the same time makes sure I do everything I'm supposed to and doesn't let me quit until all the reps are finished. We're a good fit, which is the most important thing.. if we weren't, then I wouldn't be training with him.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I've had both. I think it is more about the personality and style than gender. You want someone's who is going to be able to motivate and push you in a way that is most effective for you. Sometimes the only way to know is to try a session with someone and see how it works. Don't feel bad about switching to a different trainer after a couple of sessions. It is your money and you should get what you are looking for. Discuss with him/her what your goals are, and ask how he/she can get you there.
    That being said....the advantage I found to working with a female, is that you are able to discuss certain things that just aren't so comfortable to discuss with a male.
    Currently I'm with a male trainer and I love him. So, no I don't think gender matters, but if you are more comfortable with one or the other than maybe that is what is right for you.
  • katebigue
    katebigue Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have worked a male trainier. But I'm good friends with a female trainer. My trainer is strick and knows where I want to be and what I want to do. So he pushes me harder each and every time. The femail trainer I know can be rough and burtal. But she wants you to get to your goal sooner than later. But yet to work with her so. But I've seen and friends with a few people she trains they look Great. But it's your final call. Do a consult with both male and female trainers and see what they can and won't do.
  • dani_bean
    dani_bean Posts: 1
    Options
    I've had both and personally I prefer male trainers. The female trainer I had kept comparing our bodies and making snide comments; she was a size 6 with no boobs and no hips, I'm a size 8 with hips and a natural 30G chest. We were never going to have the same body and whilst I could understand that for some reason she couldn't. But then I guess that's where personality comes into play, there will be a lot of female trainers who are lovely I'm sure. Good luck!
  • Amber86queenbee
    Options

Yeah...I wish I knew which one I would feel more comfortable with before I got in there! hahaha I think I'm just really nervous in general. The whole gym anxiety thing and all that...

Way for me to state the obvious duh. I think a lot of people think females won't push you as hard but I haven't found that to be the case - particularly if you find a good one.

You have nothing to lose here - if you don't match well just try someone else. I felt a little nervous going to a new gym/ pt last time I changed but you quickly get over that and it becomes your space and your routine. I'm sure you will be fine once you get going into the routine.
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have an amazing female trainer! I am on a 3 month contract with her and just signed up for 6 more months.